Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Sondre Lerche: Phantom Punch -- Any thoughts?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-07, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just realized this came out a few days ago.

Any fans of this Norwegian singer? I know thew new album sounds more raw and aggressive than his previous work. I heard a couple of samples and I don't think don't think I can -- nor want to -- adjust to the newer sound on Phantom Punch.

What's other people's takes?
Old 02-13-07, 10:41 PM

havent heard this cd but i understand that it is quite a departure from duper sessions or two way monologue. not sure if i am ready for it.
Old 02-13-07, 11:26 PM

Its not that different from "Two Way Monologue." It definately has a bigger, more aggresive sound. I'm guessing its due to having the band be part of the songwriting this time around. Its definately a good CD. But, I still think TWM is better.
Old 02-14-07, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by KV12482
Its not that different from "Two Way Monologue." It definately has a bigger, more aggresive sound. I'm guessing its due to having the band be part of the songwriting this time around. Its definately a good CD. But, I still think TWM is better.
I like all 3 of his prior albums -- Faces Down, Two Way Monologue, and the Duper Sessions.

I like the style of music he was doing with the Duper album, but it had to grow on me because I was resistant in "believing" him as a "big band" vocalist. But it seemed like a more than adequate fit, as long as he keeps his original sound.

I heard some sound samples at Barnes and Noble. They're prices are weak, but the coupons helped out a lot (and I picked up a B&N membership card by returning books I never read from there).

But the best thing of all -- and this might be a YMMV, as far as B&Ns are concerned -- you can listen to any cd in the store! They have a UPC scanning device that reads the CD information and is programmed into their system.

As a matter of fact, that's how I got into Tegan & Sara. After hearing much about them, but never actually hearing them, I took one of their cds to the listening booth and was impressed.

But back to the topic at hand, I listened to most of the tracks and I have to say I'm not really digging the the crunchier, more aggressive sound. Perhaps it'll grow on me. I'll definitely buy it eventually, though.