Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

Any GOOD Credit Card deals out there?

Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Old 02-09-07, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all!

I am looking at getting a new TV in about 2 months time. I want to get a credit card that has a good Intro APR of course!

American Express Blue has a deal where it's 0% interest for up to 15 months. I have never had an Amex card before. I hear a lot of people talk about the cash back you can get from them, and even MORE appealing, some kind of price protection? If the product price goes lower after you buy it, they'll give you the difference?

Anyone use them or have any OTHER suggestions?

My only vase stipualations are a good online site to review account and make payments and 0% APR for at least a year.

THANKS ALL!
Old 02-09-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 371 Posts
The best credit card deal is not having credit cards.
Old 02-09-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is a thread on this: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....ht=credit+card
Old 02-09-07, 01:29 PM

The zero interest deal is good, as long as you pay off the balance within the time frame.

Some stores will offer you similar deals on their store card. Again, very important to pay off or transfer the balance before the interest kicks in, especially in this case given how high the rates are. Also, be aware in some of these deals, the interest does accumulate, and you will be charged the interest if the balance is not paid off before the end of the promotion period.

I know there are many credit cards that offer many things, miles, points, etc. The only thing I make use of is a 5 percent off gas purchases with a BP/Chase Visa and a Discover gas card. I pay 'em off every month, and save money on gas.

Nothing wrong with having and using credit cards, as long as you're smart about it.
Old 02-09-07, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a site like fatwallet specializes in things like this. but they'll all advise you not to buy a tv if you can't afford to pay for it in cash. if you have the cash, then buy it with a cc but set the cash aside to pay for the cc bills
Old 02-15-07, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have had a revolving balance on CCs sine 2002 or so... the highest I ever got was $3500. That said, I have never paid interest on that balance... not even a penny. I simply moved the balance to a new 0.0% credit card every year to 18 months. I am going to buy a house soon, so I have been chipping away at my CC debt for a while now. I think its down to $850. yay for me.

Anyway, on the down side, having lots of credit accounts open can hurt your credit score a little bit (mine isn't bad at all, 750-ish right now)... on the upside, you don't pay any interest! My car loan is 0.0% also. Interest sucks imo... and the ONLY time you should pay it is on a home loan.

Speaking of which, Wells Fargo offers a new credit card that sends 1% of purchases towards the principle of your Wells Fargo home loan. Thats pretty cool... every buck you can knock off your principle is a good thing... and if you charge EVERYTHING you buy on that type of card, the $ could really add up.

just a thought. I am going to get a card like that when I get my mortgage (hopefully this year). For the time being, I used my Costco Am-Ex for everything I buy. 1% cash back on all purchases, 3% back at restraunts. Not bad.

j
Old 02-16-07, 08:56 PM

Discover has some good cash back programs, such as the "Get More" program. I think right now they have a 5% back on purchases at Circuit City. Last Sept. I was able to get $100 back when I charged my college tuition.

I have a few cash back cards and I use them for everything I buy. However, the things I buy I have the cash necessary to pay the bill off on time. I've never bought anything that I don't have the money to pay for.
Old 02-16-07, 09:19 PM

I could not have said it better myself... When people play with snakes, they will eventually be bitten.
Old 02-17-07, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Vibiana
Credit Cards = Free Money via reward programs and 0% Balance Transfers to high yield savings accounts. Add to that the free extended warranties and purchase protection, etc. You just need to know how to use them. Check the Fatwallet Finance forum.

IMHO, there is no hotter deal than significant amounts of free cash.
Old 02-17-07, 01:07 PM

I think it depends on how you use it. In April I was approved for a Citi Diamond Preferred Rewards card. Since then I have used it on everything I previously would have purchased with my debit card. Since April I have earned $600 in Best Buy gift cards.
Old 02-19-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only people saying no credit card is the best idea are more than likely the same people who don't know how to use them and have a history of cc debt.
Old 02-19-07, 07:54 PM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bballing
The only people saying no credit card is the best idea are more than likely the same people who don't know how to use them and have a history of cc debt.
Actually I do not use credit cards because I do not see credit card companies losing money, and there are studies that can prove a person spends between 10-13% more when using plastic than when they have to spend cash. A great example is the guy who started this thread.
Old 02-20-07, 01:11 AM

check out the creditboards forum they usually have pretty up to date information as well as what people need (score ect) to get the card.
Old 02-20-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
I agree with those that said "good" and "credit cards" do not belong in the same sentence.
Old 02-20-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
I agree with those that said "good" and "credit cards" do not belong in the same sentence.
Credit cards themselves aren't bad. With reward points and such, you are getting "free" money if you don't carry a balance. We pay off our credit card every month (we only have one) and cash out on the reward points when it hits $500. Seems like a pretty good deal to me. Problem is very few people are disciplined enough to use them that way and end up paying big $$$ in interest.
Old 02-20-07, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Without a credit card, how would someone buy something online?
Old 02-20-07, 06:57 PM

Credit cards are not bad. People who abuse them or steal them = bad.

If you pay them off on time it can help with your credit score and you can earn rewards.

If you use them to pay for things you wouldn't have the cash to buy it in the first place is when the trouble starts.
Old 02-20-07, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by cpgator
Without a credit card, how would someone buy something online?
Debit card. Then again, I have a credit card too... I think credit cards are only a terrible thing in the hands of someone terribly irresponsible.
Old 02-21-07, 12:42 AM

well if you want a choice go here and sift through the cards

http://www.indexcreditcards.com/creditcardlist.html
Old 02-21-07, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some people seem to think that CC companies are just suckering people in with these great offers and all these rewards. They don't understand it's a win-win situation for the companies. Every single time you use your card there is a transaction fee, and they get a small percentage of the total, and a bit higher % if it's an online transaction. People who rack up debt just make them even more money.
Old 02-21-07, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bralph
Credit cards themselves aren't bad. With reward points and such, you are getting "free" money if you don't carry a balance. We pay off our credit card every month (we only have one) and cash out on the reward points when it hits $500. Seems like a pretty good deal to me. Problem is very few people are disciplined enough to use them that way and end up paying big $$$ in interest.
Assuming that they pay the balance off monthly every single time, I would agree with you. However, most people do not, even if they say they will. And even for those who do, or say they will, they better have some $ in the bank in case they have a major auto repair, medical bill, etc. or they will all of a sudden not have the money to pay those bills and pay their credit card off monthly.

So, I think credit cards that "give back" are only for people who have plenty in the bank to cover any emergency that may arise so they can cover those bills and still pay the cards off monthly. Not many people fall into this category.
Old 02-21-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I hear that! I know an attorney who equates credit card companies with drug dealers...

Unfortunately, they are a necessary evil... but, imo, the 'average' consumer should really keep down to two cards (no matter how good the "hook" offer is). And getting one just for the offer and then cancelling immediately can screw with your credit score.
Old 02-21-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by leeta
I hear that! I know an attorney who equates credit card companies with drug dealers...

Unfortunately, they are a necessary evil...
I agree with the first part, but not with the second. I know plenty of people, including myself, who do not find credit cards necessary.
Old 02-21-07, 06:27 PM

They are not a "necessary evil". If you cannot afford to pay for an item with cash at the time of purchase, then you cannot afford the item. This includes cars. Save up and pay for things. That is how the typical millionaire became a millionaire. They avoided car payments and they refused to play with snakes, aka credit cards. Read the book "The Millionaire Next Door" by Dr. Thomas Stanley if you want the profile of millionaires.

As for rewards, I have VISA Rewards on my VISA Check Card. I earn points and receive free stuff and I do not have to go into debt to do so.

For those of you who are trying to beat the credit card companies at their own games, just try reading the fine print on your credit card agreements. I bet that you haven't ever read those, have you? They can lure you in with a 0% offer, but they can then jack the rates to 27% plus charge you a $40 late fee if THEY happen to forget to post your payment on time. Let that happen to you once and all of your "high yield" savings account rates and rewards just went right out the window.

In addition, they all have a universal default clause which gives them the ability to jack up your rate at any time for any reason. If you happen to be late on a mortgage payment or a student loan payment, or a car payment (which you probably have since you are interested in credit cards), your credit card company can declare you a risk and raise your rate.

Snakes. Don't play with 'em...
Old 06-12-07, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone know of a balance transfer offer for like 3.99% for the life of the balance (from the transfer). I did that in the past, now I'm trying to do it again since I'm done with my CC for now.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.