Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will there be a Star Wars 30th Ann dvd set?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-07, 09:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know we are only in February but I am starting to have doubts that Lucas will be releasing a Star Wars 30th Anniversary complete box set. I do believe the original Star Wars came out in the summer of 1977. Well I have yet to hear anything about a dvd box set coming out this year. Do people really think this set is going to happen this year?
Old 02-08-07, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

someone asked that same question a few minutes ago here...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=491707

Old 02-08-07, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
30th Anniversary of what? According to George, that version doesn't exist anymore.
Old 02-08-07, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ofcour$e.
Old 02-08-07, 11:44 AM

I wouldn't doubt it. Star Wars has become a subscription service.
Old 02-08-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
George Lucas raped my childhood.
Old 02-08-07, 02:40 PM

wasnt it not long ago when there were all the "Will Star Wars ever come out on DVD?!?!?!" threads?

Didnt Lucas say never?

I bet he has the next 5 releases already mastered and knows release dates.
Old 02-08-07, 02:58 PM

star wars. what a merchandising scam that turned out to be... a scam i fall for everytime something new is released. fuckin' lucasfilm.

i've given that company so much money that i should have my name in the credits of every single star wars film with the title of "producer". for some reason, i'll bet we have more than a few "star wars" producers on this board.

Last edited by aJOHNymous; 02-08-07 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-08-07, 03:01 PM

Star Wars "The Extended Editions"
Old 02-08-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jpoppe
i've given that company so much money that i should have my name in the credits of every single star wars film with the title of "producer".
Or "Produced FOR".
Old 02-08-07, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think after Episode III my Star Wars obsession ended. I just can't get excited about it anymore.

As for a 30th anniversary thing, I think they should have started marketing on it last year. And if they DO end up releasing anything, I'd only buy it if the extras were worth it.
Old 02-08-07, 03:42 PM

i'll go on record with this prediction now:

this summer/fall/winter - all six films, remastered, extended, digitally enhanced, 3 discs per film, all set snugly inside of a replica of the death star. this set will rival the planet of the apes head in its coolness. it will retail for $99.99. in 2009 (for no apparent reason at all) they will re-release this mega ultra death star collector set with a small replica x-wing fighter. this set will retail at $113.99. in 2015, this set will be re-re-released.... etc.
Old 02-08-07, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
30th Anniversary of what? According to George, that version doesn't exist anymore.

So it looks like we have to wait until 2027 for the "real" 30th Anniversary Set.
Old 02-08-07, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mark my words, I'm predicting September...
Old 02-08-07, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by jpoppe
i'll go on record with this prediction now:

this summer/fall/winter - all six films, remastered, extended, digitally enhanced, 3 discs per film, all set snugly inside of a replica of the death star. this set will rival the planet of the apes head in its coolness. it will retail for $99.99.
Try more like $199.99 or $249.99 with the non replica set running for 89.99

Last edited by SterlingBen; 02-09-07 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-08-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You guys forget that, we will probably see a theatrical re-release before any dvds show up. Whether it will be 3-d is up for debate....lots of 2007 left, and I assure that they want your money
Old 02-08-07, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
You guys forget that, we will probably see a theatrical re-release before any dvds show up. Whether it will be 3-d is up for debate....lots of 2007 left, and I assure that they want your money
Amazing to think this is the 10th anniversary of the Special Edition releases. I remember sitting in the theater for Star Trek: First Contact and seeing the trailer for ANH: the little TV with the Death Star dogfight, the X-Wing breaking free onto the big screen, the first look at Jabba confronting Han in Docking Bay 94, and the rebel ships passing by Yavin in a newly enhanced visual effect.

Regrettably, I didn't go to any of them. I was a tightwad in those days-- still am, just less so-- and I couldn't justify the expense. Plus, I wasn't all that excited about Star Wars at the time. If Lucas's final versions (if such things will ever exist) were given a theatrical run before coming to DVD, I would be thrilled. And this time I would go.

--THX
Old 02-08-07, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
So it looks like we have to wait until 2027 for the "real" 30th Anniversary Set.
They've been showing episodes 4-6 on television this week and its actually the 2005 versions therefore 2035 is for the 30th anniversary set.
Old 02-08-07, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Old 02-08-07, 08:37 PM
Banned

If he wants me to buy into it....I want a 6 volume set on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray with everything that was on the previous release, plus plenty of new extras. I also want the originals PLUS the version that he has. Only then will I bite.
Old 02-08-07, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
On May 22, 2007, "The Complete Star Wars Saga" will be released onto DVD. It will be a 15-disc collection, with the disc break-downs as follows:

Disc 1: The Phantom Menace: Special Edition, with new footage and special effects incorporated into the final cut and new commentary tracks with the cast and crew

Disc 2: The Phantom Menace: Supplemental material, including new making-of documentaries and deleted scenes with completed special effects

Disc 3: Attack of the Clones: Special Edition, with new special effects and extended scenes. Disc will also include new cast and crew commentaries.

Disc 4: Attack of the Clones: Supplements, with the long-sought after deleted scenes and new documentaries.

Disc 5: Clone Wars, with all two hours included on a single disc

Disc 6: Revenge of the Sith: Special Edition, with extended scenes and new commentaries by the cast and crew

Disc 7: Revenge of the Sith Supplements, with new documentaries and supplements

Disc 8: A New Hope: Special Edition; a new cut of the classic original Star Wars movie with the Biggs Darklighter scenes reincorporated into the main feature as well as newly -filmed scenes on Alderrann with Bail Organa. Includes all trailers.

Disc 9: The Empire Strikes Back: Special Edition, with new cast and crew commentaries. This disc will also include the Boba Fett cartoon from the Holiday Special. Includes all trailers.

Disc 10: The Return of the Jedi: Special Edition, with new cast and crew commentaries. Includes all trailers.

Disc 11: The Documentaries: Including all of the documentaries that have been previously released, including "From Star Wars to Jedi." Also included is a large collection of Star Wars toy commercials and other Star Wars advertising.

Disc 12: The Star Wars Phenomea: A comprehensive, multi-media DVD-ROM guide to the Star Wars Universe, with exhaustive guides to the characters, worlds, vehicles, weapons, droids, and technology. Also includes a "Star Wars" chronology and guide to all of the novels and comic books.

Disc 13: Star Wars, the original movie in its 1977 incarnation presented in anamorphic widescreen for the very first time. Includes a new cast and crew commentary.

Disc 14: The Empire Strkes Back, the original version from 1980 presented in anamorphic widescreen for the very first time. Includes a new cast and crew commentary.

Disc 15: Return of the Jedi, the original movie in its 1983 incarnation presented in anamorphic widescreen for the very first time. Includes a new cast and crew commentary.

This set will include all previously released supplemental material in addition to a wealth of all new and never-before released material. All fourteen DVDs will be housed in slimline cases and stored in a sturdy slipcase with striking full-color artwork. Also included in the box will be a paperback book containing concept art and the very first Star Wars script.

Price TBD.

What, you didnt' hear about this?

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 02-08-07 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-08-07, 10:40 PM

i have bought every star wars release there is and im sick of it, im not buying anymore re-releases of star wars.....

who am i kidding i probally will, but if the price is 100 bucks forget about it.
Old 02-08-07, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
On May 22, 2007, "The Complete Star Wars Saga" will be released onto DVD. It will be a 15-disc collection, with the disc break-downs as follows:

Disc 1: The Phantom Menace: Special Edition, with new footage and special effects incorporated into the final cut and new commentary tracks with the cast and crew

Disc 2: The Phantom Menace: Supplemental material, including new making-of documentaries and deleted scenes with completed special effects

Disc 3: Attack of the Clones: Special Edition, with new special effects and extended scenes. Disc will also include new cast and crew commentaries.

Disc 4: Attack of the Clones: Supplements, with the long-sought after deleted scenes and new documentaries.

Disc 5: Clone Wars, with all two hours included on a single disc

Disc 6: Revenge of the Sith: Special Edition, with extended scenes and new commentaries by the cast and crew

Disc 7: Revenge of the Sith Supplements, with new documentaries and supplements

Disc 8: A New Hope: Special Edition; a new cut of the classic original Star Wars movie with the Biggs Darklighter scenes reincorporated into the main feature as well as newly -filmed scenes on Alderrann with Bail Organa. Includes all trailers.

Disc 9: The Empire Strikes Back: Special Edition, with new cast and crew commentaries. This disc will also include the Boba Fett cartoon from the Holiday Special. Includes all trailers.

Disc 10: The Return of the Jedi: Special Edition, with new cast and crew commentaries. Includes all trailers.

Disc 11: The Documentaries: Including all of the documentaries that have been previously released, including "From Star Wars to Jedi." Also included is a large collection of Star Wars toy commercials and other Star Wars advertising.

Disc 12: The Star Wars Phenomea: A comprehensive, multi-media DVD-ROM guide to the Star Wars Universe, with exhaustive guides to the characters, worlds, vehicles, weapons, droids, and technology. Also includes a "Star Wars" chronology and guide to all of the novels and comic books.

Disc 13: Star Wars, the original movie in its 1977 incarnation presented in anamorphic widescreen for the very first time. Includes a new cast and crew commentary.

Disc 14: The Empire Strkes Back, the original version from 1980 presented in anamorphic widescreen for the very first time. Includes a new cast and crew commentary.

Disc 15: Return of the Jedi, the original movie in its 1983 incarnation presented in anamorphic widescreen for the very first time. Includes a new cast and crew commentary.

This set will include all previously released supplemental material in addition to a wealth of all new and never-before released material. All fourteen DVDs will be housed in slimline cases and stored in a sturdy slipcase with striking full-color artwork. Also included in the box will be a paperback book containing concept art and the very first Star Wars script.

Price TBD.

What, you didnt' hear about this?
You forgot the Star Wars Holiday Special. The set would not be complete without that. And, finally, the long rumored animated Shadows of the Empire movie, both which would be exclusive to the set. Now that would be a set worth picking up!
Old 02-09-07, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen, seeing as how Lucas is a few Dignitaries short of a full Empire now.
Old 02-09-07, 01:34 AM

Lucas has released a Star Wars DVD set every year since 2004.
Why should 2007 be any different?
Continue the tradition.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.