Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The 'Whose Line Is It Anyway?' appreciation thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-07, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The 'Whose Line Is It Anyway?' appreciation thread

I've found an almost too-engaging show to watch as I get ready for bed each night: the original British Whose Line is it Anyway?. I always used to watch this in the afternoons when it aired on Comedy Central. I'm glad it's back on TV and glad to hear a lot of the performers (Greg Proops, Colin Mochrie, Ryan Stiles) are still working, some even in improv.

Are there any other fans of the show (British or American version)? What would your dream set-up be?

I'd pick Greg Proops, Colin Mochrie, Ryan Stiles, and either Mike McShane or Wayne Brady for the musical numbers.
Old 02-07-07, 11:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Love the British show, if it weren't for Drew I'd love the American show. Can't wait for the originals to come out on DVD next month
Old 02-07-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really dug the British ones as well. Mike McShane was usually great. What was the name of the British chick that was on almost all of them? She appeared on the US version, and they had to bleep her when she said p*ssy.
Old 02-07-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
What was the name of the British chick that was on almost all of them? She appeared on the US version, and they had to bleep her when she said p*ssy.
Josie Lawrence?
Old 02-07-07, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like the US version better....seems like the guys were a bit more "raw" at times, which made for funnier bits. I'd go with Wayne, Ryan, Colin, and probably Greg. The Rihard Simmons "moving scenery" bit was easily the funniest gag on the show EVER.
Old 02-07-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is my all time favorite

<embed width="425" height="350" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LwQnlZIAfg4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" ></embed>
Old 02-07-07, 02:31 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
The Bus, nemein, and SleepyW, I want you to explain why you like the show in the style of a 1970s police drama. Go!
Old 02-07-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tony Slattery was the best.
Old 02-07-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts
Both versions are great. I think my favorite episode was when Robin Williams was on.
Old 02-07-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One of the best ever. Thanks for starting this thread. I'm going to make a season pass for it.
Old 02-07-07, 04:02 PM

Love the American version. I've even seen them live twice when they toured. Best lineup is Ryan, Colin, Brad Sherwood and and Chip Esten. I do like Wayne but Brad and Chip are hillarious.

The best episode of all time was when Richard Simmons was in the studio for a song and then as a human prop for a scene with Ryan and Colin.

Second best was when Wayne lifted the girl from the audience over his shoulder and her skirt lifted up showing the audience her underwear.

I have to disagree with noonan. I didn't like the Robin Williams ep at all. (however it was much better than the Whoopi ep).
Old 02-07-07, 06:04 PM

My one and only problem w/ the American version is Drew Carey... I don't like him. I'm glad he brought it back to TV so I'll give him a for that, but for the way he hosts it and having to get involved at the end of the show. We usually turn it off before it gets to that part.
Old 02-07-07, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I like both versions for the most part. Never cared much for the musical numbers.
Old 02-07-07, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's about time a thread for the funniest show on TV....I love when they do the marathons!! Anyone remember Wayne Brady picking up that girl and showing her underwear on TV? and Richard Simmons???? (as above mentioned) funniest thing ever!!! Used to watch all the time, but got a little burnt out. I used to wonder why they weren't on DVD? So, it's for real? They are releasing them?
Old 02-07-07, 07:21 PM

Season 1 of the US version is already out. Season 1 and 2 of the UK version is due out the end of Feb.
Old 02-07-07, 07:28 PM
Suspended

One of my favorite TV shows of all time.
Old 02-07-07, 08:46 PM

Hands down the funniest show on TV. best lineup for me is by far Colin, Ryan, Greg and either Chip or Wayne. like wayen for the musical numbers, but chips all around funnier. never once thought this would be on DVD, but theres no way i wont own it soon now either. this is the type of show you can just plop onto a tv at a family party and keep everyone in stitches for hours, well overdue thread and a much better DVD option for any collection.
Old 02-07-07, 08:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nemein
Season 1 of the US version is already out. Season 1 and 2 of the UK version is due out the end of Feb.
Correction: part ONE of the first season is already out.
Old 02-07-07, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I loved the British version. Where I learned to like Ryan Stiles so much. Got me to start watching the Drew Carey show b/c of him, too.
Old 02-07-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nemein
Love the British show, if it weren't for Drew I'd love the American show. Can't wait for the originals to come out on DVD next month
Drew has no imagination. When Clive would give points, he'd do so in imaginative and funny ways. Drew would always give a thousand points to whoever.

Plus he isn't funny.

And I never liked how the american lineup of comics were always the same. They might have rotated between Brad Sherwood and Greg Proops once in a while, but Ryan Styles and Colin Mochery would always be on the show.

Personally, I love seeing Tony Slattery and Greg Proops together, especially when they're ripping into each other.
Old 02-07-07, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just ordered mine! Now I can throw away my random burnt dvd's finally! Does anyone remember Drew going to that "Green Screen" improv show? That didnt work very well, wasnt even funny. But Whose Line is a classic......I think Ryan Stiles is a genius. Brad, Chip, or Greg each brought their own style to the show. I never liked the guests, like when Robin, or Whoopie were brought in. And I actually never liked the girls either, especially the Oriental one, she never brought the funny. The blonde was funny from time to time, but I thought it was funnier when they made Colin be the woman. LOL...

Love the sound effects ones, when they brought old ladies from the audience to make the sound effects to the stories. There was one when they did the Jurassic Park bit, and these old ladies made the strangest noises. I roll on the floor.

Ahhh, the memories!
Old 02-08-07, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Drew is a decent host, but he has zero improv skills.
Old 07-19-13, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: The 'Whose Line Is It Anyway?' appreciation thread

I forgot about this. I searched and I didn't find anything about the show being back on the air.

The CW Network rebooted "Whose Line Is It Anyway?"

Videos:
http://www.cwtv.com/cw-video/whose-l...7-3527fab34439

'Whose Line Is It Anyway?' debuts strong for CW
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,6603755.story
Old 07-19-13, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't wait to see this. Any idea why Carey is not back? When I looked it up before, his publicist said she didn't even know this show was starting again. Sounded odd.
Old 07-19-13, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Sweet. I'll have to set the TiVo.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.