Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Best way to compare features between versions of same movie. (Lebowski in this case)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Best way to compare features between versions of same movie. (Lebowski in this case)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-07, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there somewhere on the web that lets you easily compare side by side the differences between the different versions that are released on DVD for the same movie?

I usually search the forums here but that's usually hit and miss. I also check the dvdtalk reviews but that also is hit and miss. Just wondering if there was some other resource out there that I was not aware of.

Was wanting to compare features of the original Lebowski release to the CE version that is currently on sale for $5. The dvdtalk review only compares the original to the achiever edition and not the CE as far as I can see.
Old 02-06-07, 05:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
http://www.dvdcompare.net/

all you'll ever need.
Old 02-06-07, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scott1598
http://www.dvdcompare.net/

all you'll ever need.
I'll second that. Great website.

As for The Big Lebowski, I just picked it up yesterday and had the same questions as you. As best as I could figure out the Achiever's Edition is just the Collector's Edition DVD packaged with some bonuses (photo cards, bowling towel, coasters). If I'm wrong someone please correct me.

By the way, the movie is great if you haven't seen it. It was a blind buy for me and I just watched it this morning.
Old 02-06-07, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, third on the website.

Both DVDs contain the same 30-minute interview. The new, "Focus Features Collector's Edition" also includes a photo gallery and production notes, plus an introduction by fake film historian "Mortimer Young" as shot by the Coens, and, more importantly (something DVDcompare might not have the info on), the better, remastered transfer and English subtitles.

The Polygram DVD has the theatrical trailer, plus a full-screen presentation. I kept it for the trailer when I bought the "Coen Brothers Collection".

As someone else mentioned, the Achiever Edition just comes wth more crap, but the box art is really nice.
Old 02-06-07, 06:25 PM

I like DVDBEAVER
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/compare.htm
Old 02-07-07, 10:43 AM

Thanks guys...VERY useful links and hopefully there are some others that were also helped out by your suggestions.
Old 02-08-07, 12:55 PM

DVD-Basen is basically just a list of links to online DVD reviews, but it's great if your movie isn't covered on one of the other sites and you don't mind doing some legwork.

http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/home.php3
Old 02-08-07, 01:27 PM
AOD

I too had this question. www.dvdcompare.net only lists two versions of the Big Lebowski. I also just got the widescreen collectors edition, which I am not sure if it is one of the three compared. Below are the different versions. I bought the first one on the left.

Old 02-08-07, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by AOD
I too had this question. www.dvdcompare.net only lists two versions of the Big Lebowski. I also just got the widescreen collectors edition, which I am not sure if it is one of the three compared. Below are the different versions. I bought the first one on the left.

I thought the same thing at first when I checked www.dvdcompare.net. But if you look at the notes for the R1 CE America version which is the "Widescreen Collectors Edition" it says "Also in the "Achiever's Edition Gift Set", with 8 Photo Cards, 4 Character Coasters, and Collectible Bowling Towel."

So from that and what I have read other places the Achiever Edition Gift Set is a custom box with some extra goodies but as far as the actual DVD goes it is just the CE version...nothing new or different.
Old 02-08-07, 04:23 PM

You cant get any better than this

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/Reviews/bigl.htm
Old 02-09-07, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks! This is just what I was looking for since I got that 15th anniversary Reservoir Dogs set at Best Buy for $6.99 this week but was not sure if I should sell my existing 10th Anniversary "Mr. Pink" version.

(Looks like a draw, the new version has extra stuff, but leaves out some extras that were on the one I had already. Looks like I will have to keep both to get the full amount of extras, just like I did with "This is Spinal Tap".)
Old 02-09-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As mentioned above, the Achiever's Edition I reviewed is just the Collector's Edition tucked inside fancy packaging. It's not a huge improvement over the original release, but it's definitely worth the $5 if you like the movie.