Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone Playing Vanguard?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anyone Playing Vanguard?

Old 02-06-07, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone Playing Vanguard?

I picked this up a few days ago and so far I like it a lot, but I am only level 8. Anyone else playing this and enjoying/hating it? Wondering what it's like at later levels.
Old 02-06-07, 08:42 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm interesting in hearing opinions on this as well. They couldn't have picked a worse launch date -- two weeks after the WoW expansion?
Old 02-06-07, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a very different game from WoW, so timing wise it really doesn't matter. It's not as casual as WoW, but not as time consuming and involved as Everquest. After playing Everquest off and on for over 7 years, with a short stint in WoW, I'm quite happy with Vanguard. My guild and I have been playing since Beta 4, with the majority of them getting into beta 5 with the prepurchase. Sure there are bugs, but I've never seen an MMO launch without one. Being that it's developed by the Original Everquest crew, EQ fans might want to give it a shot. That excitement and newness that I had experienced with EQ back in 99 has finally come back to me with Vanguard. None of the other MMO's could do that for me.
Old 02-06-07, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by dgmayor
Being that it's developed by the Original Everquest crew, EQ fans might want to give it a shot.
This is the reason why I'm not going to try Vanguard until it's been out a few months and I can read what people think of it then. While I enjoyed EQ, the developers were not exactly the most honest of people when they dealt with their customers. Plus, with SoE being linked to Vanguard now, it's all the more reason to wait and see with this game.

A friend of mine has been playing this since beta and she is having fun, but I just don't trust the people behind this game.....especially when they make a move like shutting down the official forums just before launch. I can't think of too many games today that do not have official forums, and can only assume they shut down the forums because they didn't want potential customers coming to their forums and seeing negatives being posted about the game.
Old 02-06-07, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been playing Vanguard since the early 80's. Great game!!!!
Old 02-07-07, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Silt
This is the reason why I'm not going to try Vanguard until it's been out a few months and I can read what people think of it then. While I enjoyed EQ, the developers were not exactly the most honest of people when they dealt with their customers. Plus, with SoE being linked to Vanguard now, it's all the more reason to wait and see with this game.

I trust the original EQ team, hell I've had conversations with Brad during EQ1. I DON'T trust the people that took over for them when they all left to form Sigil. As for SoE being involved, the only thing they handle is distrobution and the server farms. They do not own Sigil. They owned Verant. Big difference.
Old 02-07-07, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
It's a very different game from WoW
In my years on this forum, I don't think I have ever disagreed with anything more than this statement. This game is an exact carbon copy of WOW, only with different (and much better) graphics. Not that that is bad mind you, because the game is fun, just like WOW was.......for a few months.
But yeah, to answer the OP's question, I am playing it and enjoying it so far with my lvl 7 wood elf ranger.
Old 02-07-07, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm interested in this game, but I'm going to be holding off until the reviews start coming in.
Old 02-07-07, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Been playing it since right before Beta closed. I have a 17 Necromancer on Hilsbury, named Swindler. If anyone wants to group up or whatever, feel free to send me a tell.

I like it quite a bit, it has a lot of the "old school" EQ feel with some of the newer MMO touches. It is still pretty rough and has quite a few bugs, so if you need a well polished game, you might want to wait a few months.
Old 02-07-07, 11:04 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It's a very different game from WoW, so timing wise it really doesn't matter.
If you're saying that there are very few people who are interested in both games, I couldn't disagree more.

If I were launching Vanguard I would have waited a few more months after the WoW expansion hoopla had died down and people were more willing to jump ship.

Of course, the migration will still happen if word of mouth on Vanguard is good and people get bored with the new WoW content. But, by then LOTR Online and other games will be out, so who knows.
Old 02-07-07, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm also very interested in this, but will wait for more reviews since I'm a little hesitant to get back in bed with SOE. I didn't like how they kept changing the game on me in Galaxies. Also isn't this supposed to make good use of dx10 cards?
Old 02-07-07, 05:59 PM

It's good to see you kids getting into the cool 80's games.
Old 02-07-07, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Vanguard will probably be in the ground in a few months if they don't get an unexpected amount of interest.
Old 02-08-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I played in Beta 3 and didn't care for it at all, it felt to me like they took the best of Eq2 and WoW and made a game out of it.

It also did not bring back any of the Eq1 magic for me at least. Hell, I couldn't even play higher than level 8 before I quit.

Bearing in mind I had been following the game since the beginning I was utterly disappointed
Old 02-08-07, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone interested in this game should listen to the latest Gamers with jobs podcast. They go into it with quite a nice amount of detail. They have also talked about it in previous podcasts.
http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/

2 of them have set themselves a goal of reaching level 20 at least, before they quit.
Old 02-09-07, 01:16 AM

Old 02-09-07, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by peon73
I'm also very interested in this, but will wait for more reviews since I'm a little hesitant to get back in bed with SOE. I didn't like how they kept changing the game on me in Galaxies. Also isn't this supposed to make good use of dx10 cards?
I guess this needs to be repeated. SOE has no input on this game whatsoever. The only thing they do is maintain the servers and the tech support forums. The rest (including creative decision) is up to Sigil.
Old 02-09-07, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by flashburn
I guess this needs to be repeated. SOE has no input on this game whatsoever. The only thing they do is maintain the servers and the tech support forums. The rest (including creative decision) is up to Sigil.
The problem is, the reason they rushed the release, and launched at the same time as burning crusade, was that Sony was discontinuing funding beyond this point. From this point forward, they need to sell a heap of boxes, and subscriptions, to stay in the game. So it's a slightly precarious situation for anyone taking the $50(?) plunge into this game.
Old 02-09-07, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
If you're saying that there are very few people who are interested in both games, I couldn't disagree more.

Not saying that at all.

Originally Posted by Maxflier
In my years on this forum, I don't think I have ever disagreed with anything more than this statement. This game is an exact carbon copy of WOW, only with different (and much better) graphics. Not that that is bad mind you, because the game is fun, just like WOW was.......for a few months.

I'm working under the assumption that people in this thread understand that yes, both WoW and Vanguard are MMORPGS, just like EQ, EQ2, Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, etc etc are. With that understanding, and still saying that Vanguard is a carbon copy of WoW? I guess I have to extremely disagree with your extreme disagreement
Old 02-09-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chris_D
The problem is, the reason they rushed the release, and launched at the same time as burning crusade, was that Sony was discontinuing funding beyond this point. From this point forward, they need to sell a heap of boxes, and subscriptions, to stay in the game. So it's a slightly precarious situation for anyone taking the $50(?) plunge into this game.
Wrong. SOE has nothing to do with the funding of the game. They ran out of money, but it was the money of investors.
Old 02-09-07, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not that it disagrees with your point but relevant to the discussion:
Originally Posted by vanguardsoh.com

People are saying Vanguard is being rushed out before it is finished, is that true?
MMOs are unique in the gaming world because they are never truly finished. Vanguard will continue to be added upon and evolve for years to come. That said, no matter when you release there’s always going to be things you wish you had time to add or would have liked to have done but didn’t have time. Fortunately, with MMOs, we actually can add that stuff in later.
-Nick Parkinson, Community Manager

We don't want to rush things but like I said we have a solid launch date. People are crunching and working long hours but the financial reality is we need to launch commercially, and soon.

I know that is not the answer you want to hear, nor I, but it is what it is and I've always been straight up with you guys. We will have a lot of work to do post-launch and the first couple of months post-launch will be just as busy as beta 5 with lots of patches, bug fixes, new features, etc. In that sense, things won't change.

I promise you we are doing the best we can with the time we have, even though we all, the players and Sigil wish we had more time, but like I said, there are financial realities. We are still I believe the 2nd most expensive MMOG to-date after WoW and that is something, despite the desire to have more time, I have to be grateful to both MSFT and SOE for.
-Brad McQuaid, CEO
Anyway, according to wiki SOE provided some bodies for the development, and I imagine they were in a position where they could have funded a longer development period as part of the partnership but chose not to.
Old 02-09-07, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sure, they could've given them money, or their investors could've given them more. It still isn't Sony's responsibility that Sigil ran out of money.
Old 02-09-07, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by flashburn

I read that earlier this week they manually restarted the servers during primetime playing hours and didn't bother to send a message in-game letting the players know so they could get to a safe place to log out. If SOE has no input on the game, Sigil sure is doing their best to act like SOE.
Old 02-09-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Silt
I read that earlier this week they manually restarted the servers during primetime playing hours and didn't bother to send a message in-game letting the players know so they could get to a safe place to log out. If SOE has no input on the game, Sigil sure is doing their best to act like SOE.
Blame Sigil for that. Yes, they seem to be doing a pretty shitty job communicating with the public.
Old 02-09-07, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I'm working under the assumption that people in this thread understand that yes, both WoW and Vanguard are MMORPGS, just like EQ, EQ2, Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, etc etc are. With that understanding, and still saying that Vanguard is a carbon copy of WoW? I guess I have to extremely disagree with your extreme disagreement
Yes, i understand that and yes, i am still saying it is a carbon copy of WOW. I have played many MMO's so i know the differences between them and Vanguard is nothing like Anarchy Online (using that as an example because that is the game i have played the most), yet it is EXACTLY like World of Warcraft.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.