Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

360 HD-DVD Player on my PC: Will I get 5.1?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-07, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The question is right there. I play all my DVDs in 5.1 on my computer because I can, but I was wondering if it would still output 5.1 when I use the HD-DVD drive?
Old 02-04-07, 10:04 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd assume that if you computer can currently output 5.1, it would work.

Do you need Vista for HD-DVD support? And I assume any video card/monitor needs to be HDCP compliant?

I've not hooked up my drive to my PC, because I don't have a HDCP-enabled card/monitor (I assume those are out now?), but have been curious about how easy it is to setup. I wonder if a component-out video card would work (presumably so)?

So no answers to your question, just more (related) questions of my own.
Old 02-05-07, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, you will get 5.1 sound out of HD-DVDs. If you output via spdif you will get reg DD or DTS but if you have analog 5.1 output you can decode the Dolby + and DTS HD (or whatever they're called). You'll need playback software, Power DVD 6.5 and 7 Ultra edition seem to be the only real good ones (I use 6.5 and it works like a champ for me). You will also need an HDCP compliant video card, and a reasonably powerful CPU. I use a Geforce 7600GT and an Athlon x2 4200, I had to turn off hardware accel (it's still buggy), so to get smooth playback I had to clock my chip to 2.6ghz or higher.

To answer MBS's question: No a component out video card will not work, unless it also has a HDCP enabled HDMI or DVI port and that port is hooked up to an HDCP compliant monitor at the time of playback. The software players check HDCP compliance as a requirement for playback but don't check what output they are being shown through. YMMV on this, it's something I read when the xbox drive first came out.

Last edited by Blotto; 02-05-07 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-05-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have an HDCP compliant card. Guess I'll be sticking with my HDTV with no 5.1 for now.

I was hoping to be able to watch the upcoming NIN hd-dvd.