Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dracula X Chronicles for PSP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-07, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dracula X Chronicles for PSP!

I swear to God, this morning as I was playing Portrait of Ruin I was thinking how awesome it would be to have a Rondo of Blood/Symphony of the Night combo for the DS. I swear, I'm not making this up.

Then I see this:
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/02/01/ca...eiled-for-psp/

Okay, so it's on PSP and it's a remake, the 3D graphics look crappy and the music doesn't seem quite as good as the original BUT the original is part of the package AND it'll have Symphony of the Night on top of that.. which hopefully will retain its graphics instead of being stretched and anti-aliased to a blurry hell like it'll probably be on Xbox Arcade (just a hunch on that one).

Funnily enough, I was almost going to buy a PSP a couple of weeks ago until I lost my DS and had to replace that. This will certainly remind me that I was primed to buy one at some point.
Old 02-01-07, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Damn, now I want a PSP again.
Old 02-02-07, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love Konami.
Old 02-02-07, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

um, yea, I have chronicles and symphony of the night on my PSP

_>
Old 02-02-07, 09:42 AM
Retired

Damn that's awesome. Not enough for me to pick up a PSP, but still awesome.
Old 02-02-07, 09:43 AM

honestly Josh...

if you had half the crap I have on my PSP, I'm sure you'd think a bit differently
Old 02-02-07, 09:48 AM
Retired

Nah, I have no desire for a second portable anyway, and the PSP has hardly any original games that interest me. And I hate the d-pad and analog stick so I don't even really want to play the couple of games that interest me on it.

Don't care about the home brew emulation stuff. Would rather just play that on the PC with the bigger screen.
Old 02-02-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The thing that's bugging me right now is that I know I have a copy of Symphony of the Night for the PS1 somewhere in my house, but I can't find it. I thought I found it last night, but it was just the empty case.

I'm hesitant to get the Xbox Live version knowing that I've got the original lying around the house in some mysterious location. Of course, I've never played Rondo of Blood, so I'd probably drop the dough on the PSP version if the price is low enough.
Old 02-02-07, 02:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Well, hopefully the PSP will get a redesign here soon with a D-Pad and Analog fix.
Old 02-02-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Nah, I have no desire for a second portable anyway, and the PSP has hardly any original games that interest me. And I hate the d-pad and analog stick so I don't even really want to play the couple of games that interest me on it.

Don't care about the home brew emulation stuff. Would rather just play that on the PC with the bigger screen.
I don't care about the homebrew and I don't pirate the games but I have a nice library of PSP games - all exclusives. I would love it more though if it had decent battery life. It's really not a portable system.
Old 02-02-07, 03:04 PM

do you turn down the sound and dim the screen a bit?

you can always buy a cheap, extra battery
Old 02-02-07, 03:21 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Superboy
I don't care about the homebrew and I don't pirate the games but I have a nice library of PSP games - all exclusives.
Just to clarify, I didn't mean there are no good games on the system, just that their are very few that interest me.

The only thing I really want on my portable is 2D games and the occasional puzzle game.

I'm not interested in the games that are basically just PS2 spinoffs, sequels etc. as I'd rather play that type of game on the PS2 on my TV rather than on a portable (pretty much only play my portables at home anyway).
Old 02-02-07, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow! you get Castlevania: Dracula X: Rondo of Blood and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. hope the MSRP around $30 instead $40.
Old 02-02-07, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm tempted, but I also have no interest in PSP homebrew which seems to be most of the appeal. My XBMC has all that end covered for me.
Just didn't play my PSP enough the last two times I owned one so I don't see a third purchase happening. Really want this game though.
Old 02-02-07, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly, I think this is a good purchase if you already have a PSP.. not something to get the system for. It seems like almost every game I'd want for the system falls into this category. Eventually you think all that would break me.. but then I remember how poor both controllers are and the insane amount of ghosting on the screen. Seriously, can anybody imagine trying to do Alucard's Soul Steal of the PSP's d-pad?!

And after all the years of me rallying to get this game released in English.
Old 02-02-07, 06:13 PM
Retired

Hopefully it will come to the Wii virtual console. Should be easier now that a translation is being done.
Old 02-02-07, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still own Symphony of the Night on PSone so that one is no big deal, but yeah it would be nice if they offered Rondo down the road on another platform. Let the PSP have the exclusive remake, but give the rest of us a chance to buy the original on Wii, Live Arcade or PS3's online store. Heck all three would be great so everyone can play it.
Old 02-02-07, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been waiting for the real Dracula X forever. I couldn't care less about the remake, and I still have SotN. Day one purchase. Also, this game is going to bomb hard.
Old 02-02-07, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
...AND it'll have Symphony of the Night on top of that.. which hopefully will retain its graphics instead of being stretched and anti-aliased to a blurry hell like it'll probably be on Xbox Arcade (just a hunch on that one).
I saw the screenshots today. It looks like complete crap. I don't know why some people think seeing pixels on a 2D side-scroller is so bad.
Old 02-03-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I saw the screenshots today. It looks like complete crap. I don't know why some people think seeing pixels on a 2D side-scroller is so bad.
Holy crap that looks awful. Well, at the very least it's not doing the typical blurry filter-fucking Digital Eclipse has ruined so many classic game compilations with. I really wish they'd stop out-sourcing these classic game ports to American companies. The Sega Ages collections from Japan offer so many visual options and the Wii Virtual Console games (well, except for TG16 games) are presented in their original crispy resolutions.

I swear I just read an interview with the company (I already forgot who it was) porting SotN to Xbox and they literally said "We haven't changed a pixel." Ugh.
Old 02-03-07, 10:12 PM

might be fun but dont like the stlye of graphics
Old 02-05-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
The thing that's bugging me right now is that I know I have a copy of Symphony of the Night for the PS1 somewhere in my house, but I can't find it. I thought I found it last night, but it was just the empty case.

I'm hesitant to get the Xbox Live version knowing that I've got the original lying around the house in some mysterious location. Of course, I've never played Rondo of Blood, so I'd probably drop the dough on the PSP version if the price is low enough.
Found my SotN disc over the weekend. I started playing through it for the first time in many years, and it's as great as I remembered it. Since I've never played Rondo, I'm still interested in the PSP game. The remade graphics do look pretty bad, but according to the 1up Show, the version that the screenshots are from is a pre-alpha, so they still have plenty of time to clean things up. Since they're including the original version as well, I don't think there's much reason to worry. If you haven't watched last week's 1up Show yet, it's got a segment about the PSP version, so it's worth checking out.
Old 02-05-07, 03:27 PM

I don't like the 3D graphics either, i don't know why changed it when the PSP can do some amazing 2D graphics. But the game doesn't look bad. The music is pretty good too (it being a remake of a classic theme), but the original first stage rondo of blood music was amazing. Not enough for me to get a psp but a step in the right direction if more games like this follow.
Old 02-05-07, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

IGA says they choose the PSP for this because he felt that the game needed 3D graphics to entice new players. Much like he felt that Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin needed Yu-Gi-Oh characters to entice new players. Oh well.. deep down the games are still good.
Old 02-05-07, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't wanna buy an PSP. But I want this game.