Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The UK press adoration over Pete Doherty - I simply don't get it.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-07, 02:39 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

From the initial release of The Libertines album to the ongoing rehab stories, forming of a new band (Babyshambles) singer Pete Doherty and is his personal saga has become signaficent fodder for the British press - why? Sure rock n' roll and rampant drugs abuse go hand in hand, but this is one singer in particular who lives and seems to thrive on his own problems - if he didn't, I bet you he would have been a 'has been', who's popularity would have come and gone a long time ago. Are there any current US rock stars whose vices and notority been equal to Pete's. I personally don't think the US music press, would glorify a singer and glamourize drug excessiveness to this degree. To me, the UK's press atitude and continual exposure of Pete in the limelight indirectly conveyes a positive aspect to drug abuse and musicians in the rock and roll genre.
Old 02-01-07, 02:50 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
It's hard to understand, I agree. I think it's funny, actually (like watching a trainwreck in slow motion) but you might have a point about the glamorization of drug abuse. I have a pet theory over why the press loved The Libertines and devotes so much space to Doherty's "escapades."

I think that guy Scott Weiland might be the U.S. equivalent. Or perhaps Robert Downey, Jr., if you want to go beyond the music world.
Old 02-01-07, 03:01 PM

oh it's very much a 'trainwreck in slow motion'. The whole point to this thread is the latest news:

Shocker: Kate Moss did not enjoy watching (along with a millions of morbidly curious/horrified Web site surfers) her lovely boyfriend shoot up while lying to her about his whereabouts. The supermodel has reportedly called it quits (once again). “Kate is understandably livid about these pictures,” a source apparently said. “That they were taken just two days after their special commitment ceremony simply adds insult to injury.”

this guy seems to get more publicity for continually fucking up then any other rock musician I've read about.
Old 02-01-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every time I read something about him, i'm like "who the fuck is Pete Doherty?" Then my follow-up is "who gives a fuck what he does?"

I mean, as much as I hate skanky Paris and Lindsey, I can understand the fascination the media has for them. (Not that I agree or wish to be subjected to it).

I have no idea what the fascination with this tool is.
Old 02-01-07, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Every time I read something about him, i'm like "who the fuck is Pete Doherty?" Then my follow-up is "who gives a fuck what he does?"

I mean, as much as I hate skanky Paris and Lindsey, I can understand the fascination the media has for them. (Not that I agree or wish to be subjected to it).

at this point, I think it's Pete's relationship with Kate Moss that has him still in the public's (UK's) eye...
Old 02-01-07, 05:41 PM

The media are only interested in public figures that they know will sell papers, hence Doherty is a fave - the man is a walking headline and disaster area. If he was a good samaritan and doing charity work he wouldn't crack a mention cause the "average" person in the street isn't interested in that.
Old 02-01-07, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't. I honestly don't get it with these girls or Pete. The only person I can think of in the U.S. might be Courtney Love, but she's actually made some decent music/movies through her mess. Pete's done squat over the past few years.
Old 02-01-07, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His music's pretty good.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 02-01-07, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I don't. I honestly don't get it with these girls or Pete.
Because they're girls, man. And there's a lot of horny teenage boys on the internet..
Old 05-07-07, 01:38 PM

he's at it again... ho hum, doesn't he ever learn?? is he really that goddamn stupid.

Pete Doherty arrested on Drugs Charges - NME News
Old 05-07-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Libertines arent bad, but they're not that great either.

The British music press is always completely over the top in reacting to any British band who acheive some small amount of success. Witness the OMGBESTBANDEVAREVAREVAR! reaction they gave Arctic Monkey's debut. Or the insane overrating of The Stone Roses (very good but hardly world changing) debut.

I see it as part of the overall overdeveloped British self-regard.

Last edited by Hiro11; 05-07-07 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-20-07, 10:31 AM

the madness continues: (from NME)

Pete Doherty arrested following V Festival set
Babyshambles frontman held for alleged drug possession in London

Pete Doherty was arrested at 2am this morning (August 20) for suspected drug possession in London.

The Babyshambles frontman was apprehended in the Tower Hamlets borough of east London .

Doherty had returned to the capital after play V Festival in Stafford

His car was stopped by police before his arrest, and the singer is now being held at an east London police station.

Doherty had been banned from London after a court order earlier this month, but the ban was lifted for the weekend (August 18, 19) to allow him to travel to and from the V Festival.

The news will increase the singer's likelihood of facing jail next month. He is due for sentencing for previous drug offences in West Magistrate's Court on September 4.

District Judge Davinder Lachlar told Doherty at his last court hearing (August 7) that she would make her decision about his punishment based on how he conducted himself in relation to drugs up until September 4.

Keep checking NME.COM for updates on the situation.

~

what a jackass.
Old 08-20-07, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The British press overhypes a music act?

Say it ain't so!
Old 08-20-07, 11:30 AM

shocking aint it. Particularily one's that as stupid and misguided as Pete
Old 08-20-07, 02:06 PM

Part 2:

Top lawyer: 'Pete Doherty's drastically increased his chances of jail'
Legal expert says Babyshambles arrest could lead to prison
2 hours ago
Following Babyshambles' frontman Pete Doherty's arrest in the early hours of this morning (August 20) for suspected drug possession, a top criminal lawyer has explained that the incident has increased Doherty's chances of going to jail.

The singer, who is due for sentencing for previous drug offences on September 4 at West London Magistrate's Court, was stopped by police after Babyshambles played this year's V Festival.

Paul Harris, of law firm Edward Fail Bradshaw And Waterson, told NME.COM that the new arrest "drastically increases his chance of being sentenced to jail in September."

"He's on bail for a similar offence [drug possession], so because he may have committed this new offence his risk of jail is increased," said Harris.

The lawyer explained that, should Doherty be charged for drug possession, his plea of guilty or not guilty will make all the difference come his September 4 sentencing.

"If he pleads not guilty it will make less of a difference to his sentencing," Harris said. "He'll be innocent until proven guilty. But if he pleads guilty it will increase the risk of jail drastically."

Harris went on to explain that the judgement would take other factors into consideration.

"The judge will decide on his overall progress, and won't just base the decision on this one incident," he said.

"He may still be responding to detox treatment while committing the offence, which will be taken into consideration."

Keep checking NME.COM for the latest on Pete Doherty's arrest.

Meanwhile, NME.COM is braced to make a huge Babyshambles announcement tomorrow (August 21) at noon (BST).

The news will be a huge event for Babyshambles fans, so be sure to log-on tomorrow to find out all the details.
Old 08-20-07, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

who was more of a big deal in England......Sid Vicious in his prime or Pete Doherty last year when dating Moss??
Old 08-21-07, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by paulringodaman
who was more of a big deal in England......Sid Vicious in his prime or Pete Doherty last year when dating Moss??
I don’t know but ‘Sid & Nancy’ sounds better than ‘Pete & Kate’.
Old 08-21-07, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Same exact thing with me. Don't know, don't give a fuck.
Old 08-21-07, 10:21 AM

and the story continues, Part 3:

Pete Doherty walks free from court
Babyshambles singer does not have to face bail charges

Pete Doherty has walked free from court this morning (August 21).

The Babyshmables man was at West London Magistrates Court to faces charges of breaching his bail, however the singer did not even appear in front of the judge after it was decided that the "court had no jurisdiction" in the matter.

For the breach of bail to be considered Doherty had to appear in court within 24 hours of being called. However, as he was held by police yesterday and so could not appear in time, the charges became void.

The singer will have to reappear at Bethnal Green police station on October 31 relating to his arrest yesterday (August 20) regarding suspected possession of drugs in east London after returning from playing the V Festival with Babyshambles.

Oh hearing the news Doherty immediatly left the court complex by car.

He is due to return to West London Magistrate's Court on September 4 to be sentenced for possessing class A drugs from an incident back in May.