Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Recent Amazon Price Error: You'll be charged unless you return!! Part 2

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 01-31-07, 10:50 AM
X
Administrator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Continued from http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=487954
Old 01-31-07, 11:51 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 01-31-07, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lareineblanche
I'd be fine if we could do without a lot of the crap that flooded the last topic and just focused on the aftermath of this sale and the impact on people who participated.
Old 01-31-07, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Peep
...aftermath of this sale and the impact on people who participated.
Certainly an interesting way to put it...
Old 01-31-07, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I charge Amazon with bait and switch as well as attempted mass murder.

I, along with everyone else has been damaged in our heart and souls. I have even heard reports of people dying from broken hearts.

I for one will be writing my senator and calling in the local radio station about this threat.
Old 01-31-07, 07:33 PM
Defunct Account

^^
Old 01-31-07, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I charge Amazon with bait and switch as well as attempted mass murder.

I, along with everyone else has been damaged in our heart and souls. I have even heard reports of people dying from broken hearts.

I for one will be writing my senator and calling in the local radio station about this threat.
Maybe we could keep the thread-crapping to a minimum.
Old 01-31-07, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd be fine if we could do without a lot of the crap that flooded the last topic and just focused on the aftermath of this sale and the impact on people who participated.
Let's not be too dramatic. It wasn't exactly Hurricaine Katrina.
Old 01-31-07, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Goldblum
Let's not be too dramatic. It wasn't exactly Hurricaine Katrina.
Well.....Amazon is sort of like FEMA. Instead of taking care of the problem right away they waited 5 days to acknowledge it. Then instead of giving straight answers they gave people the runaround.
Old 01-31-07, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Amazon doesn't care about scammers.
Old 01-31-07, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 315 Likes on 208 Posts
I ran this by at the office yesterday, and the prevailing opinion (one attorney, one paralegal--I'm a newbie) was that Amazon would likely win this if the mistake is obvious enough, but only in a court. The credit card companies might very well side with the consumer, so then it becomes the question of does Amazon want to take a whole bunch of people to court for small amounts? They could also ding your credit rating. My boss actually said it would be the same in a brick and mortar situation, so the idea that you could buy a computer for a penny doesn't hold. When I asked him if the receipt was your "contract" in a case like this, he laughed.
Old 02-01-07, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ChefWinduAZ
Well.....Amazon is sort of like FEMA. Instead of taking care of the problem right away they waited 5 days to acknowledge it. Then instead of giving straight answers they gave people the runaround.
Originally Posted by cpgator
Amazon doesn't care about scammers.
Old 02-01-07, 03:24 AM
Cool New Member

And I would be fine if I could win Texas Hold Em whenever I play. Cha-ching!!!!
Old 02-01-07, 03:26 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by tasha99
I ran this by at the office yesterday, and the prevailing opinion (one attorney, one paralegal--I'm a newbie) was that Amazon would likely win this if the mistake is obvious enough, but only in a court. The credit card companies might very well side with the consumer, so then it becomes the question of does Amazon want to take a whole bunch of people to court for small amounts? They could also ding your credit rating. My boss actually said it would be the same in a brick and mortar situation, so the idea that you could buy a computer for a penny doesn't hold. When I asked him if the receipt was your "contract" in a case like this, he laughed.

Your boss, like so many other bosses, sounds rather dim-witted.
Old 02-01-07, 05:07 AM

Nice bargain
Old 02-01-07, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So what day are the charges supposed to occur if you didn't return anything?
Old 02-01-07, 08:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think they messaged that the new date was Feb. 2(tomorrow)

"We always find it's better to (give people bad news) on a Friday. It's statistically shown that there's less chance of an incident if we do it at the end of the week." - paraphrase from Bob Sydell, Office Space

Last edited by the Chief; 02-01-07 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-01-07, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by the Chief
I think they messaged that the new date was Feb. 2(tomorrow)

"We always find it's better to (give people bad news) on a Friday. It's statistically shown that there's less chance of an incident if we do it at the end of the week." - paraphrase from Bob Sydell, Office Space

You may have a point with that quote though. IF Amazon charges, they may have wanted it to preceed a weekend. Maybe that is why they changed the date? There never was a reason given as to why the date was changed.
Old 02-01-07, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant
IF Amazon charges, they may have wanted it to preceed a weekend. Maybe that is why they changed the date? There never was a reason given as to why the date was changed.
Well the original date was the 28th which fell on a Sunday and since there is no mail service on Sundays there was no way they could receive the packages by that date. I think they were just trying to give people 30 days from the date of that first email which was 12/28.
Old 02-01-07, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by porieux
Nice bargain
This is the store forum NOT the bargain forum.
Old 02-01-07, 11:55 AM

What about if representatives of the company have sent letters assuring the consumer that, despite any other correspondence that they might receive, they WILL NOT be charged any additional amounts for said transactions?

Also, what sort of law does your boss practice? Is he familiar with "scanner laws" in many jurisdictions governing the correlation between price tags and the price that shows up when an item is scanned?

I appreciate that you ran this by someone who might offer a more informed opinion than some here, but I also think that your laughing boss totally covers is own @$$ by using the word "likely."
Old 02-01-07, 01:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont think "scanner laws" would apply here...

And even if they did, the items would have "scanned" in correctly, it was the promotional discount that was incorrect...

oh, and in things pertaining to law nothing is ever 100%, there's always some twist to it to make it just a "likely" result...
Old 02-01-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by head dvd nut
This is the store forum NOT the bargain forum.
The "nice bargain" reference is an in-joke dating back years, not a serious comment.

Made me chuckle....
Old 02-01-07, 01:52 PM

I think Amazon would lose in court if this thread and the emails people have gotten were submitted as evidence. I say this because I've seen several posts of email replies from amazon. Some say "We're sorry for the error, you will not be charged" and some say "tough luck shithead, you lose"

Of course that's hardly verbatim but that's what the responses amount to. Anyway my point is that those responses saying "We sorry, you don't have to pay" set some kind of precident whereas they admit the error and excuse the buyer who "took advantage" of the error. It should be all or none. Amazon is either playing favorites, screwing with our heads or they just don't know what the hell they're doing.
Old 02-01-07, 02:16 PM
Defunct Account

Originally Posted by OwlAtHome
Amazon is either playing favorites, screwing with our heads or they just don't know what the hell they're doing.
I pick door number three.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.