Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Silverchair - "Young Modern"

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-07, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

from ytsejam.com

SILVERCHAIR fans will get their first taste of the band's long-awaited new album, "Young Modern", this Friday (February 2) when the disc's first single — "Straight Lines" — premieres on Australian radio and on the band's website. The epic rock track will be the first brand new SILVERCHAIR song to hit the airwaves in almost five years. The song was one of the standouts from the group's recent acclaimed performances at the sold-out Homebake and Pyramid festivals.

"Straight Lines" was produced by group frontman Daniel Johns with legendary MIDNIGHT OIL collaborator Nick Launay, who worked on previous SILVERCHAIR albums "Freak Show" and "Neon Ballroom". It was mixed by David Bottrill, who did the band's last album — 2002's "Diorama". The video for the song will also premiere on Friday. It features a dynamic band performance that was filmed at the Olympic Park train station in Sydney by directors Paul Goldman and Alice Bell (the pair behind the acclaimed film "Suburban Mayhem").

SILVERCHAIR is currently in Canada putting the final touches to the mixing of "Young Modern". The group recently announced that they would do some showcase gigs in New York, Toronto and Los Angeles before they return home and were staggered by the demand. More than 2,000 tickets sold out in each city in minutes with very little advertising and no promotion — a feat unmatched in the band's history. The dates are expected to further fuel U.S. record company interest in the band. The trio are currently free agents internationally, having made the unusual move of self-funding the creation of "Young Modern" to ensure full creative freedom.

In other SILVERCHAIR news, it has been announced that a CD single of "Straight Lines" will be released in Australia on Saturday, March 10 with "Young Modern" to follow on March 31. The CD single will feature three bonus tracks — two more original songs plus a live version of the MIDNIGHT OIL classic "I Don't Wanna Be The One" which SILVERCHAIR performed at last year's ARIA Awards to induct OIL into the Hall Of Fame.
The song will be available on: the Official Silverchair Site and Silverchair's Myspace Page

I'm looking forward to this. Unfortunately, March 31st is the Australian release(later this year elsewhere, according to their site). I've always thought Silverchair was a bit underrated. Diorama was a great album that showed there was more to the band than just continually nipping at the scraps of the grunge era. Can't wait to see how they are expanding their sound.

Any other Silverchair fans out there?
Old 01-31-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I didn't care for their first few albums (though, they were only teenagers at the time), but I liked their last album quite a bit - nicely melodic with some good heft and weight (though a bit over-produced). So if they continue to grow, I'll keep checking them out.

Random trivia: Silverchair's singer is married to Natalie Imbruglia, the one-hit-wonder who sings "Torn", and is super hot.
Old 01-31-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Silverchair are one of my favorite bands. Every album from them is solid and they have gotten better with every release. It's just too bad that Daniel Johns physical issues stopped them from touring for Diorama.

On another note, I actually think Daniel's side project, the Dissociatives, is even better than Silverchair.
Old 01-31-07, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Will be getting this... have been getting emails from them in the last 2 months regarding album and L.A. shows. Loved the first 3 albums, the last one was o.k..
Old 02-01-07, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I've liked all their previous albums and I've wondered a few times where they've been. I'll definitely be checking this out.
Old 02-01-07, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by starseed1981
On another note, I actually think Daniel's side project, the Dissociatives, is even better than Silverchair.
Didn't know about that. I just added it to my LaLa list.
Old 02-01-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Didn't know about that. I just added it to my LaLa list.
You won't be disappointed!!!

On another note the new song is up at the Silverchair site!
If this is any indication of the new album I'm totally sold.
Old 02-01-07, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nice catch. Excellent track. Definitely following through with the growth on Diorama.
Old 02-01-07, 02:37 PM

Hmm I like Silverchair's earlier harder stuff..I know it's more immature and grungy, but I liked that side of them.
This new track seems like a radio friendly adult contemporary rock song, and the video I find is even cheesier. Hopefully some of their songs on the new album has some balls to it. Though I am probably the only one who feels this way
Old 02-01-07, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TripWire
Hmm I like Silverchair's earlier harder stuff..I know it's more immature and grungy, but I liked that side of them.
This new track seems like a radio friendly adult contemporary rock song, and the video I find is even cheesier. Hopefully some of their songs on the new album has some balls to it. Though I am probably the only one who feels this way
Your not, I loved frogstomp and it's energy. For teens at the time, that album rocks. I enjoy other stuff from them also, but usually it's a dose of "pure massacre" and "isreal's son"(sp?)
Old 02-01-07, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by db27
Your not, I loved frogstomp and it's energy. For teens at the time, that album rocks. I enjoy other stuff from them also, but usually it's a dose of "pure massacre" and "isreal's son"(sp?)

Those are two of my favorite songs. You either grow or you grow irrelevant.
Old 02-04-07, 05:51 AM

man i rekon silverchair have sold out big time, dont get me wrong i liked diorama but you just cant say its better then neon ballroom or frogstomp or even freakshow, there is so much passion in those songs. sure its good that there music is evolving but i think they r forgetting their roots that built them. straight lines is the most mainstream realease from silverchair ever, they were better when they made grungy rock music not pop
Old 02-04-07, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

^ Now that is an appropriate user name posting in this thread. A personal favorite of mine off Frogstomp, "Suicidal Dream."

As for the song, it is only one song, who knows what is in store for the new album.
Old 02-26-07, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"YOUNG MODERN" TRACK LIST REVEALED:

Young Modern Station
Straight Lines
If You Keep Losing Sleep
Reflections Of A Sound
Those Thieving Birds (Part 1)
Strange Behaviour
Those Thieving Birds (Part 2)
The Man That Knew Too Much
Waiting All Day
Mind Reader
Low
Insomnia
All Across The World

CHAIRPAGE.com
Old 02-26-07, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love me a little Silverchair. I'm going to go and check out their new song.
Old 03-13-07, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

3 weeks to go. Any word of a leak?
Old 03-13-07, 02:35 PM

I wish this was coming out in the States in 3 weeks. Any word on a U.S. release date yet?
Old 03-16-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The band's epic song, "Straight Lines", is already #1 on ARIA's digital chart but it is now available as a CD single that features 3 special bonus tracks. The first of them is "All Across The World" (also the closing track from the band's forthcoming album) and it's already enjoying high rotation on Triple J. Then there's the non-album bonus track "Sleep All Day" plus a collector's version of the Midnight Oil classic "Don't Wanna Be The One" live from the Homebake festival. The video for "Straight Lines" is also available digitally.

The trio's eagerly anticipated Young Modern album is now 2 weeks away from its street date. There will be two formats for the release. The cheaper Standard Edition will contain one audio disc and normal jewel case packaging. The Special Edition will be a limited release. It will contain the same audio disc plus a bonus DVD which includes "The Making Of Young Modern" documentary and "Straight Lines" video and it will be packaged in a deluxe fold out digipack. Both versions can be pre-ordered from your local music shop or from the following e-tailers.

Fans can currently pre-order Young Modern digitally with iTunes Australia for a limited time only. The special digital edition of the album will also feature "The Making Of Young Modern" video, "Straight Lines" video, PDF booklet and an exclusive bonus track called "English Garden" which features a special guest vocal by the legendary Judith Durham from The Seekers. For more information about this great Australian singer please visit www.judithdurham.com.

from email
Old 03-19-07, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Silverchair Storms Back With Australian No. 1

Silverchair's first single in four years, "Straight Lines," bowed at No. 1 on the the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) Top 100 this week, published yesterday (March 19). The track also tops the ARIA digital chart for a fourth week.

With "Straight Lines," Silverchair becomes the third Australian act (following the Easybeats and the Seekers) to score three No. 1 singles, according to chart historian Gavin Ryan. Releasing the track digitally three weeks before the CD version "reinforced radio and retail confidence in the song," Watson says. The band this week also announced its first indoor concerts in Australia in nearly four years.

Silverchair is signed to its manager John Watson's Eleven the Music label, and distributed by Virgin/EMI Music in Australia, New Zealand and Southeast Asia. Watson says the band's new album, "Young Modern" will be released internationally in July; it arrives March 31 locally.

The band will base itself in the northern hemisphere from mid-May, do pre-release showcases in June and play major U.S. and European festivals through August.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 03-20-07, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Watson says the band's new album, "Young Modern" will be released internationally in July.
Thanks for the info, Gerry!
Old 03-20-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tenacious D
ditto, i can always count on the don for the news i need
Old 03-20-07, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tenacious D
no problem.
Old 03-20-07, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by db27
ditto, i can always count on the don for the news i need
[now that made me] ... no problem buddy
Old 03-26-07, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ugh, can't wait for a US release.
Anybody know where I can pick this up online? Prefferably a store somebody here has used before and can vouch for? Thx.
Old 03-29-07, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The album is available now. Sounds really good. 1/2 Diorama + 1/2 The Dissociatives

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.