Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Pan's Labyrinth --> May 15th!

Mao
01-30-07, 10:23 PM
The confirmed date for New Line Home Entertainment's release of the masterpiece "Pan's Labyrinth" is May 15th!

It will be released in a single disc version and a Platinum Series Two-Disc Special Edition.

More details:

Disc 1:
-Audio: Spanish 6.1 DTS-ES, 5.1 Dolby Digital EX, Spanish 2.0 Stereo
-English And Spanish Subtitles
-Closed Captions
-Audio Commentary by Guillermo Del Toro
-"Making Of" Featurette

Disc 2:
Featurettes:
-"The Power Of Myth"
-"El Fauno y Las Hadas"
-"The Color And The Shape"
-"Pre-Release Making Of"
-"The Charlie Rose Show" with Guillermo Del Toro

ReduxGuy
01-30-07, 10:37 PM
That is crap!

Pan hasn't even come out here yet and they're already announcing the DVD?!?!??!?!?!??!?!>??!?!??!?!?!?@#Fanipfeui{fjiobFYIASDYOd89puay*oprT7O

mrhan
01-30-07, 10:50 PM
I'm getting my R3 LE w/DTS next month. :D

The Cow
01-30-07, 11:06 PM
That is crap!

Pan hasn't even come out here yet and they're already announcing the DVD?!?!??!?!?!??!?!>??!?!??!?!?!?@#Fanipfeui{fjiobFYIASDYOd89puay*oprT7O
Err, where do you live? It's getting pretty mainstream around here now.

ReduxGuy
01-30-07, 11:07 PM
Savannah.

And it's opening here on Friday.

And the wait is maddening.

It's a selfish thing to say, but I personally hate it when friends AND family see a movie before I do. Especially one that looks to be as phenomenal as Pan.

Rammsteinfan
01-30-07, 11:41 PM
Awesome film. 2 disc for me!

animatedude
01-30-07, 11:49 PM
FUCK NEW LINE.first Little Children and now this.

i would like to meet their fagggoty boss and ask him "how much do you fuckin' think are you going to lose from Feb-April due to ppl importing"

gee...is it hard for managers to notice this...ARGHH.

Willh51
01-31-07, 12:19 AM
Mine!

Rubix
01-31-07, 02:20 AM
great, yet another 2 disc release that will never go down in price!

Rubix
01-31-07, 02:22 AM
i hate these 1 and 2 disc dvd releases. now the 2 discer will never go down in price.

Mr. Cinema
01-31-07, 06:08 AM
Has New Line ever released 1 and 2-disc versions before? I thought they usually gave us 1 great edition for a low price. Either way, I'm in for the 2-disc...unless they are thinking of HD DVD for this title.

Tenacious D
01-31-07, 06:11 AM
I'm in for the 2 disc set!

OldBoy
01-31-07, 06:11 AM
The confirmed date for New Line Home Entertainment's release of the masterpiece "Pan's Labyrinth" is May 15th!

It will be released in a single disc version and a Platinum Series Two-Disc Special Edition which features include audio and video commentary from Guillermo Del Toro, two behind-the-scenes specials, never-before-seen documentaries and two featurettes.
this sounds great. any word if DTS or not? New Line usually does with their Platinum's huh?

marty888
01-31-07, 06:22 AM
Based on the phenomenal quality of previous Del Toro commentaries, the 2-discer should be a must for anyone who appreciated this film - really looking forward to this one!

Simpson Purist
01-31-07, 07:06 AM
Has New Line ever released 1 and 2-disc versions before? I thought they usually gave us 1 great edition for a low price. Either way, I'm in for the 2-disc...unless they are thinking of HD DVD for this title.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake got separate 1-disc and 2-disc releases.

Count me in as also looking forward to the 2-disc PE, if it's anything like previous Del Toro DVDs, it's gonna be phenomenal.

speedy1961
01-31-07, 07:29 AM
I just saw this movie this past Sunday and was blown away.

I'll be getting the 2 discer.

Fincher Fan
01-31-07, 08:28 AM
Has New Line ever released 1 and 2-disc versions before?

Blade 2 - another del Toro flick!

Fincher Fan
01-31-07, 08:29 AM
God, I hope New Line start releasing HD-DVDs before May 15!

Mr. Cinema
01-31-07, 08:34 AM
Blade 2 - another del Toro flick!
My memory suddenly got bad. Of course, that 2-disc was the only one released and then later, they added the 1-disc version, if I'm not mistaken. Kinda how Fox used to do with titles like Fight Club. Now everyone is releasing both versions simultaneously. Speaking of del Toro, I need to go back and get his other films, but that would mean I would have to buy the crappy non-anamorphic Mimic disc. Don't think I can.

OldBoy
01-31-07, 08:55 AM
where can you get this one?

Fincher Fan
01-31-07, 09:15 AM
My memory suddenly got bad. Of course, that 2-disc was the only one released and then later, they added the 1-disc version, if I'm not mistaken.

Correct!

Speaking of del Toro, I need to go back and get his other films, but that would mean I would have to buy the crappy non-anamorphic Mimic disc. Don't think I can.

He admittedly fucked the film up but it does feature a title sequence by Kyle Cooper and stars the red-hot and underrated Mira Sorvino. Plus, it's cheap! Buy it, you know you want to.

dkny75
01-31-07, 10:35 AM
God, I hope New Line start releasing HD-DVDs before May 15!
You took the words right out of my mouth!

pagansoul
01-31-07, 11:44 AM
I loved Mimic. I also have Mimic 2 and Mimic 3. Back to del Toro, buy his 'Devil's Backbone' and 'Cronos'. Both are very good films. The man has a great eye for SciFi. He is working on 'Hellboy 2' now.

wennma01
01-31-07, 11:50 AM

same here. i may pick the 2 disc r1 as well

mrhan
01-31-07, 01:33 PM

I might pick up the R1 if the extras are different; otherwise my Spanish is quite good so I may just stick to the R3. Besides, most often than not the
R1 usually drops the DTS track for a stupid English dub.

Dead
01-31-07, 03:42 PM
i would like to meet their fagggoty boss ...

While I understand your frustration, this really isn't an appropriate way to make your point.

bunkaroo
01-31-07, 04:10 PM
Question for those who have seen it:

I won't be blind buying the DVD, but I do want to see it. Assuming I like it, I woudl wait for the eventual HD/BD release.

So the question is, should I see this theatrically or is a DVD viewing sufficient?

dpz301
01-31-07, 05:05 PM
that was a quick turn around! i'll probably check it out.

ReduxGuy
01-31-07, 08:53 PM
R1 usually drops the DTS track for a stupid English dub.

This is New Line. They favor DTS instead of dubs.

And also, look at their recent release slate. Name five movies they released on DVD that didn't have a DTS/DTS-ES track on there.

LorenzoL
02-01-07, 02:11 AM
A must buy for me. I'll be getting the 2 Disc Platinum Edition.

mrhan
02-01-07, 08:18 AM
This is New Line. They favor DTS instead of dubs.

And also, look at their recent release slate. Name five movies they released on DVD that didn't have a DTS/DTS-ES track on there.

Yeah, your probably right but there's no way it's going to look as good as this. Check out the packaging for the R3.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=488232&page=2&pp=25

Dalvin
02-01-07, 04:00 PM
Until the HD-DVD/Blu Ray version comes out, I refuse to buy any new movies.
TRust me, once you've seen the difference you'll know what I mean.

mrhan
02-01-07, 05:23 PM
Until the HD-DVD/Blu Ray version comes out, I refuse to buy any new movies.
TRust me, once you've seen the difference you'll know what I mean.

Well that's you perogative but actually it depends on how the DVD is made. There have been quite a few crappy BR releases. I have both a Toshiba and PS3 and the picture is dependent on how the DVD is authored. I guess you can just rent it but if you just buy DVDs your going to wait for a long time when you can probably enjoy it now.

acubfaninmd
02-01-07, 06:01 PM
this will be a blind buy for me. i will go with the 2 disk editiion.

Mao
02-01-07, 10:34 PM
More details surface!:

Disc 1:
-Closed Captions
-"Making Of" Featurette

Disc 2:
Featurettes:
-"The Power Of Myth"
-"El Fauno y Las Hadas"
-"Pre-Release Making Of"
-"The Charlie Rose Show with Guillermo Del Toro

ReduxGuy
02-01-07, 10:38 PM
Yeah, your probably right but there's no way it's going to look as good as this. Check out the packaging for the R3.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=488232&page=2&pp=25

God, that IS beautiful artwork. I can see why Pan is the frontrunner for Art Direction now.

More details surface!:

Disc 1:
-Closed Captions
-"Making Of" Featurette

Disc 2:
Featurettes:
-"The Power Of Myth"
-"El Fauno y Las Hadas"
-"Pre-Release Making Of"

:whimpers:

DAMMIT, WHY WON'T 1:40 TOMORROW COME ALREADY?!?!?!??!?!??!???!?!

TNAJason
02-01-07, 11:03 PM
Never came out here in my area(and I'm in OHIO~!) and was really wanting to see it,so I'll BLINDBUY the 2-DISC PE

gryffinmaster
02-01-07, 11:22 PM
More details surface!:

Disc 1:
-Closed Captions
-"Making Of" Featurette

Disc 2:
Featurettes:
-"The Power Of Myth"
-"El Fauno y Las Hadas"
-"Pre-Release Making Of"
:jawdrop:

:D:up: Brilliant. Absolutely cannot wait.

fnordboy
02-02-07, 10:21 AM
I will probably end up doing the same.

Can not wait for the R3 to show up in the meantime though.

dom56
02-02-07, 11:04 AM
Saw this the other night with my brothers and liked it. Well get the 2-disc when it come out.

Jippy
02-02-07, 05:28 PM
More details surface!:

Disc 1:
-Closed Captions
-"Making Of" Featurette

Disc 2:
Featurettes:
-"The Power Of Myth"
-"El Fauno y Las Hadas"
-"Pre-Release Making Of"

OMG! Now that is how to do a 2-disc set. And now I have to wait until May?!

ReduxGuy
02-02-07, 08:08 PM
I just saw Pan today.

Anyone who dislikes the film either has no soul or no understanding of true cinema.

Now comes the long, arduous wait for May 15th.

zombeaner
02-02-07, 08:36 PM
Add me to the list getting the R3K LE and the 2disc R1, unless the extras on the Korean discs are subbed, which is unlikely. Now I just have to decide which versions of Babel and Children of Men to get, I'm leaning toward the R2UK Children disc since there's no release date for an R1

*edit* Just saw release date of 4/3/07 for the R1, but that is two months away, and I am impatient.

Caliking
02-02-07, 09:17 PM
Best Movie of 2006 and tops on my All-Time list as well. LOVED IT!!!

Definitely getting the Biggest/Baddest edition of this movie each time it comes out

ilconsigliere
02-03-07, 12:47 PM
Question for those who have seen it:

I won't be blind buying the DVD, but I do want to see it. Assuming I like it, I woudl wait for the eventual HD/BD release.

So the question is, should I see this theatrically or is a DVD viewing sufficient?
Definitely. It's a must see for the big screen

Living Dead
02-03-07, 01:34 PM
I just bought the R3. My thanks to those who posted the link.

I saw this in the theatre and was absolutely stunned by the film. I didn't expect much, since I thought Blade 2 was weak and Hellboy was terrible, but I have to say that this is definitely one of the best movies I have ever seen. I have not see the others that have been mentioned in this thread (Cronos and Devil's Backbone), but I'll likely seek them out at this point.

I'll buy the R1 version when it come out to replace the Korean discs, but keep the wonderful packaging. I can't imagine we'll see anything better in R1, since our packaging is usually pretty generic or just plain awful.

dman988
02-03-07, 04:46 PM
Why couldn't have those jerks at New Line done the same thing for Little Children?

*cries*

Oh-Daesu
02-04-07, 02:12 AM
Yesasia doesn't really clarify what kind of DTS sound the DVD has while the New Line Platinum Edition R1 is specified as having DTS-ES 6.1. If the Korean R3 only has DTS 5.1, then I'll just cancel my order and wait for the R1. Anyone know the actual specs for the R3 to help clarify this for me? Thanks in advance.

maingon
02-04-07, 11:35 AM
wow cant believe people saying its one of the best movies of all time, I thought it was decent at best

LorenzoL
03-12-07, 06:40 AM
Cover arts for the R1 release (1 Disc and 2 Disc versions) are posted at DVDactive.com:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/pans-labyrinth3.html

Also, in regards to the contents of the DVD, DVDactive.com doesn't list DTS in their information. In the comments section, Tom (the editor of the site) indicated that he will check with New Line to confirm whether this release includes DTS or not.

TomOpus
03-12-07, 06:49 AM
Nice cover!

animatedude
03-12-07, 10:01 AM
i don't understand what the 34.99 price is for? is for the UNcollectable pachaging or the crappy artwork,another reason to hate New Line.

The Bus
03-12-07, 10:10 AM
New Line has yet to announce any BD or HD DVDs, but this is one I am highly awaiting.

riotinmyskull
03-12-07, 10:32 AM
i don't understand what the 34.99 price is for? is for the UNcollectable pachaging or the crappy artwork,another reason to hate New Line.

$34.99 is the SRP which translates to about $20 so that's not that bad for a 2-disc special edition.

ceeece
03-12-07, 10:41 AM
That R1 cover for the 2 disc is just plain crappy. I like Living Dead's idea to buy the Korean cover and replace with the R1 discs

Tom Woodward
03-12-07, 11:03 AM
Also, in regards to the contents of the DVD, DVDactive.com doesn't list DTS in their information. In the comments section, Tom (the editor of the site) indicated that he will check with New Line to confirm whether this release includes DTS or not.

Yep - can now confirm that Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1-EX, and 6.1 DTS-ES tracks will be included :)

kevkev
03-12-07, 01:32 PM
i'm guessing the korean one is ful bitrate whereas the r1 dvd won't be.

Subgeniusguy
03-12-07, 03:15 PM
You might want to check the last page of the Pan's Labyrinth thread in the international forum before deciding to order the R3. The cases are warping. Specifically, this post. (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7697008&postcount=139)

Richard Malloy
03-12-07, 03:24 PM
Yeah... I don't think the R3 Korean covers will last until the R1 discs are released!

But I agree. Really shitty cover art on the 2-disc. Why must they put photoshop in the hands of such careless and clueless marketeers as these?

animatedude
03-12-07, 03:32 PM
i can't believe there's 4 exclusives with 4 different covers from R2UK while on R1 you get a crappy artwork and i can tell that there won't be any exclusives...well maybe one.

Simpson Purist
03-12-07, 03:36 PM
1-disc art looks a lot better than the 2-disc. Still, it's what inside that counts, and judging from the specs the 2-disc is gonna be great.

Josh H
03-12-07, 03:41 PM
Will definitely pick up the two-discer as it's my favorite film of 2006 thus far (still have a lot of catching up to do).

I too hate the 1 and 2 disc release crap and long for the days when everything was just one or the other and even the 2 disc sets were $14-16 on release week. :(

Kudama
03-12-07, 07:54 PM
Speaking of del Toro, I need to go back and get his other films, but that would mean I would have to buy the crappy non-anamorphic Mimic disc. Don't think I can.
-eek- What do you have against giant bugs??? Despite the fact that the ending was jarringly happy (for humans) this was still, far and fucking away, the best giant bug movie ever, ever made.
del Torro can be a little too hard on himself. I love 95% of Mimic. And anamorphic? Let yourself slip back to the days of P&S VHS and you might see that this disc is totally worth...what? 10 bucks maybe?

On Pan's...WOW!!! This is releasing on the same day as The Fountain. I'm already starting to blubber like a little girl thinking about it. Two of the most major tearjerkers ever, on the same day.

Kudama
03-12-07, 08:01 PM
Speaking for myself: I would be kicking myself if I saw this on DVD after it was out of the theaters. Kinda how I felt when I saw Alien on the little screen for the first time. (I did eventually get to see Alien, once, on the big screen.)

mzupeman2
03-13-07, 11:40 AM
I would have loved to have seen it in the theaters but I just didn't have the time. Shame. I've got a nice HD set and a good DVD player to give me a pretty nice experience at home though so, I'm just disappointed I have to wait a couple of more months. Ah well.

Hal
03-13-07, 12:00 PM
:bow: Beautiful Spanish edition (http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=698) (steelbook)

really nice!

:)

matome
03-13-07, 12:13 PM
-eek- What do you have against giant bugs??? Despite the fact that the ending was jarringly happy (for humans) this was still, far and fucking away, the best giant bug movie ever, ever made.
del Torro can be a little too hard on himself. I love 95% of Mimic. And anamorphic? Let yourself slip back to the days of P&S VHS and you might see that this disc is totally worth...what? 10 bucks maybe?

I think he may have been referring to the crappy non-anamorphic disc, not the movie itself.

I love the flick and would love to get a decent DVD or a Blu-Ray of it soon.

Richard Malloy
03-13-07, 12:54 PM
:bow: Beautiful Spanish edition (http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=698) (steelbook)

really nice!

I'm not crazy about "steel" packaging (seems appropriate for some things, not necessarily this film), but that's some nice artwork. And I particularly like that the original title is retained rather than the slightly-modified, translated-to-English title. Any chance this release has English subs?

mrhan
03-13-07, 01:21 PM

really nice!

The content of the booklet looks similar to the R3 version except that all the text was all in English. The packaging looks cool but I don't think it's worth the $65 to ship it to the U.S. I got the KR book version for $26 shipped and I'm happy with it and haven't had the warping problems that a few have had. I will however buy the U.S. version for the extras.

dom56
03-13-07, 04:29 PM
1-disc art looks a lot better than the 2-disc. Still, it's what inside that counts, and judging from the specs the 2-disc is gonna be great.

Remind of me of the first Spiderman DVD where the foolscreen version had a better cover than the widescreen cover. :(

I'm still getting the 2-disc cause I really enjoyed the movie. :)

souvenir
04-30-07, 09:45 PM
Has anyone else noticed this Futureshop exclusive cover? I'm wondering if Best Buy might have something similar, like they did with the Departed steelbook.

http://www.futureshop.ca/multimedia/products/large/dvd2132446.jpg

ReduxGuy
04-30-07, 10:28 PM
Has anyone else noticed this Futureshop exclusive cover? I'm wondering if Best Buy might have something similar, like they did with the Departed steelbook.

Let us pray so. That artwork is SO much better than both the regular disc artworks combined.

GuruTwo
05-01-07, 05:12 AM
Is that Mike Mignola artwork?

It would certainly make sense with the Guillermo Del Toro connection.

ShaunoftheDead
05-01-07, 09:40 AM
Is that a steelbook, the Futureshop?

jmj713
05-01-07, 10:42 AM
Let us pray.

gryffinmaster
05-01-07, 10:50 AM

Steelbook or not, Best Buy would be crazy not to usher in that wonderful poster as exclusive cover artwork. :drool: Here's hoping.

Is that Mike Mignola artwork?

It would certainly make sense with the Guillermo Del Toro connection.
Sure is.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23911

Kguy1326
05-01-07, 01:39 PM
I hope Best Buy or somewhere does something neat with this.

groovrbaby
05-02-07, 04:41 PM
Got this movie in at work on Monday, and watched it last night. FANTASTIC MOVIE!! This will be one of my few day/date purchases, and my money goes to whoever has the coolest exclusives.

KFelon
05-03-07, 10:37 AM
Hopefully Speedy will post the info for the week of the 15th soon.

Wildo1966
05-03-07, 10:50 AM
I have to ask...Is this movie rated R? The reason I ask is I saw one seller on Ebay selling the standard dvd with a rating of G, I saw the 2 disk version with a R rating....

gryffinmaster
05-03-07, 11:03 AM
I have to ask...Is this movie rated R? The reason I ask is I saw one seller on Ebay selling the standard dvd with a rating of G, I saw the 2 disk version with a R rating....
Heh, Del Toro probably didn't have this problem with The Devil's Backbone. :lol:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457430/

Rated R for graphic violence and some language.

speedy1961
05-03-07, 12:04 PM
Hopefully Speedy will post the info for the week of the 15th soon.

Probably tonight.

I have Target ready to go and Pan's Labyrinth 2 DVD Platinum Edition is $22.99 there. The theatrical version is $16.99.

mrhan
05-03-07, 01:51 PM

It's pretty normal until---

some guy gets stabbed in the face multiple times.

The No Man
05-03-07, 03:27 PM
Probably tonight.

I have Target ready to go and Pan's Labyrinth 2 DVD Platinum Edition is $22.99 there. The theatrical version is $16.99.

is there any special bonus for the 2 disc-er? Like a steelbook from Best Buy?

Rammsteinfan
05-03-07, 03:54 PM
He usually gets the BB ads on the following monday... hoping there is a special somehwere though. Steelbook would be nice or a 3 disk special.

The Monkees
05-03-07, 04:35 PM
they are probably not going to do the steelbook at best buy because it is not on the website and the movie comes out in a little under two weeks

speedy1961
05-03-07, 04:50 PM
is there any special bonus for the 2 disc-er? Like a steelbook from Best Buy?
No.

Spiral Staircase
05-03-07, 05:12 PM
they are probably not going to do the steelbook at best buy because it is not on the website and the movie comes out in a little under two weeks

There is still time. The information that Best Buy would release The Departed as a steelbook did not become known until 9 days before the street date.

OldBoy
05-03-07, 05:14 PM
There is still time. The information that Best Buy would release The Departed as a steelbook did not become known until 9 days before the street date.
i don't thin that is accurate. i remember seeing the ad on website for steelbook Departed a lot longer than 9 days prior to release. at first there was no pic, but the descrip confirmed.

Spiral Staircase
05-03-07, 05:36 PM
The first confirmation of The Departed Steelbook, ie. the first time it appeared on Best Buy's website, that I can find on DVDTalk is 2/4/07.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=486218

Post #115

It was re-confirmed by Speedy with the ad the next day.

whotony
05-03-07, 11:54 PM
It's pretty normal until---

some guy gets stabbed in the face multiple times.
close but no he ...

had his face caved in by gettting repeatedly hit in the face with a bottle by the general

mrhan
05-04-07, 01:36 AM
close but no he ...

had his face caved in by gettting repeatedly hit in the face with a bottle by the general

:hscratch:

mnementh
05-04-07, 09:47 AM

Ugh, since prices are that high, I wonder if I can wait for a high-def version to come out.

Subgeniusguy
05-04-07, 01:21 PM
:hscratch:

I believe whotony is correct.

ReduxGuy
05-04-07, 04:16 PM
close but no he ...

Vidal was a Captain, not a General.

mrhan
05-04-07, 06:41 PM
I believe whotony is correct.

I don't know how I forgot that.

I popped the DVD in and it was a bottle. I guess the stabbing motion he used made me think it was knife. It's been awhile since I watched it.

gryffinmaster
05-08-07, 01:03 AM
Bump. :up:

So, what all exclusives are we working with here?

The Valeyard
05-08-07, 01:39 AM

None from the usual sources.

Futureshop has a steelbook tho.

BuckNaked2k
05-08-07, 08:23 AM
I want that steelbook.

Why won't these clowns ship to USA?

Spiral Staircase
05-08-07, 09:55 AM

Borders is offering a lame 16-page booklet (http://www.bordersmedia.com/features/pages/panslabyrinth.asp).

gryffinmaster
05-08-07, 10:30 AM
Borders is offering a lame 16-page booklet (http://www.bordersmedia.com/features/pages/panslabyrinth.asp).
Hmm, lame as it might be, it's something. Actually, the little booklet doesn't look half bad.

Also, gauging by Borders' Website (http://www.bordersstores.com/features/feature.jsp?file=coupons) (scroll to bottom of "coupons"), it'll be at $22.99. Hey, that's not too shabby for anyone who has some Borders Rewards bucks gathering dust.

jmj713
05-08-07, 10:48 AM
It does look good, and if this is the best there is I may have to get it!

http://www.bordersmedia.com/features/pages/images/panslabyrinth/panslabyrinth1.gif
http://www.bordersmedia.com/features/pages/images/panslabyrinth/panslabyrinth2.jpg
http://www.bordersmedia.com/features/pages/images/panslabyrinth/panslabyrinth3.jpg
http://www.bordersmedia.com/features/pages/images/panslabyrinth/panslabyrinth4.jpg

groovrbaby
05-08-07, 07:55 PM
None from the usual sources.

Futureshop has a steelbook tho.
Is that a Steelbook or just an "exclusive cover"? The other steelbooks on futureshop.ca say "Futureshop exclusive steel case" or "Special steel case" or something to that effect. Granted, steelbook or no, it's an awesome cover and the version I'll be ordering.

The No Man
05-08-07, 08:43 PM
it does look like a nice booklet, but I think I'll pass. I got mine for 16.50 from WHV and it came yesterday. Wha-eva

thursdaynighter
05-08-07, 09:06 PM
I was at Costco (Sacramento) today and they had it for $20.99.

firteen88
05-09-07, 11:31 AM
Is anyone offering a special packaging for this that will work in the US?? I really liked this movie and want to get something nice.

Randy Miller III
05-09-07, 12:05 PM
If anyone's interested, I'm currently digging through the 2-Disc edition and will be posting my review over the weekend. Long story short, though: it's a really well-rounded release and worth picking up! :up:

ShaunoftheDead
05-09-07, 12:25 PM
If anyone's interested, I'm currently digging through the 2-Disc edition and will be posting my review over the weekend. Long story short, though: it's a really well-rounded release and worth picking up! :up:
And here I was looking forward to your long winded review, now what's the point?

Randy Miller III
05-09-07, 12:27 PM
And hear I was looking forward to your long winded review, now what's the point?
Pretty screen captures, of course!

ShaunoftheDead
05-09-07, 12:32 PM
Pretty screen captures, of course!
Ohhhh, purty!

kevkev
05-09-07, 12:49 PM
take the discs out and throw the rest away. the region 3 set is the best. which you of course already own right??? shame the extras were naff and the image colour was a bit too red.

a very average film though. a few nice ideas and it looks nice but not half as good as some people liked to think.

Living Dead
05-10-07, 04:35 AM
Speedy has the BB and CC ads up. It looks like no exclusives from B&M retailers at all other than Borders.

I bought the R3 set for the amazing packaging. I've been lucky not to experience the warping of the package that so many others have mentioned. I'll probably pick up the 2 disc R1 too, just so that I can have some extras in English.

This was an incredible movie, and I can't wait to watch it again.

Frenzal Rhomb
05-10-07, 09:43 AM
only problem with the Futureshop release will be the bilingual packaging...it will be ugly!

Richard Malloy
05-10-07, 09:52 AM
only problem with the Futureshop release will be the bilingual packaging...it will be ugly!
Canadian? That is to say, the bilingualism will be French/English and not Spanish/English?

Frenzal Rhomb
05-10-07, 09:54 AM
Canadian? That is to say, the bilingualism will be French/English and not Spanish/English?

yes, it will be French and English on the spine of the movie, so you'll get Pan's Labyrinth and Le Labyrinthe de Pan written on the side

Subgeniusguy
05-10-07, 12:20 PM
yes, it will be French and English on the spine of the movie, so you'll get Pan's Labyrinth and Le Labyrinthe de Pan written on the side

Neither of which are the original title. Have R3, will just get R1 2 disc.

wennma01
05-10-07, 03:10 PM
Pan’s Labyrinth >>>> $16.99

Pan’s Labyrinth: 2 DVD Platinum Edition >>>> $22.99 ????

???? Comes with behind the scenes featurettes, original sketchbook, story boards and more

This is from the speedy's target thread. It looks like target is getting a sketchbook too...

The Monkees
05-10-07, 03:16 PM
This is from the speedy's target thread. It looks like target is getting a sketchbook too...

The sketchbook that is mentioned in the Target ad is a special feature that is on the 2-disc already. So target is not getting anything exclusive. They just make it seem that way.

BuckNaked2k
05-10-07, 07:36 PM
I am really surprised there isn't going to be a steelbook at Best Buy.....

steebo777
05-11-07, 09:07 AM
I'm bummed there is no steelbook at BB :(

Geist
05-11-07, 11:36 AM
Are we positive the Future Shop steelbook is going to be half in French? :P

And what is on the Spanish region version that's not on the 2-disc? I wonder if there's a chance of a Region 1 3-disc release as well.

RichDB10
05-11-07, 12:57 PM
take the discs out and throw the rest away. the region 3 set is the best. .

Errrmmm.....maybe not!!....if you are lucky enough to be fluent in French you may just want to pick up the French 4 disc!!! edition :-

http://www.dvd-bonus.com/resultat_news.php?ID=1655&type=news

mrhan
05-11-07, 01:10 PM
Errrmmm.....maybe not!!....if you are lucky enough to be fluent in French you may just want to pick up the French 4 disc!!! edition :-

http://www.dvd-bonus.com/images/avril07/lelabyrinthedepanpack3.jpg

Any more pics of the book? That does look better than the R3 which I do own. If it has English subs, DTS and different extras I might just go for it.

RichDB10
05-11-07, 01:43 PM
Any more pics of the book? That does look better than the R3 which I do own. If it has English subs, DTS and different extras I might just go for it.

Going by previous Wild Side releases of non english dialogued films you can forget this having English subs.

The additional material relates to interviews and a press conference at the Cannes film festival and of course a soundtrack CD comprising one of the discs in the set.

d2cheer
05-12-07, 07:56 AM
a very average film though. a few nice ideas and it looks nice but not half as good as some people liked to think.

So you know how everyone thinks?? :hscratch:

What are you trying to say here? That if I or anyone else liked it and enjoyed it we should not have because you thought it was average and we were fooled into thinking it would be great? Or the movie was not as good as you had hoped based on what you had heard/read?

Gondor
05-12-07, 09:40 AM
Anyone know if the black levels are better in the R1 version than the Korean one? It seemed to me the black was more grey than black on the R3 version.

Vision of Love
05-12-07, 07:31 PM
The BB exclusive is to be a lithograph. At least in Canada.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFSM2132716&catid=20448

Could someone give me a source on the Future Shop exclusive cover actually being a steelbook and not just an alternate cover or slipcover?

An4h0ny
05-12-07, 08:46 PM

crap, that thing is beautiful!

gerrythedon
05-12-07, 09:28 PM
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=28029

RawisJericho
05-12-07, 10:21 PM
Nice review

Apone
05-12-07, 11:06 PM
Yay! 4 and half stars for A/V.

steebo777
05-14-07, 11:11 AM
Yay! 4 and half stars for A/V.
That's what I'm talkin about!!!

puddytay
05-14-07, 11:46 PM
I just watched the movie and I'm not sure what the fuss is all about... Was the movie great? No it was just ok. I don't understand why it won awards, nor do I understand why it got so much buzz. In my opinion it was very average and I kept wishing for more.

Joe Molotov
05-15-07, 12:35 AM
I just watched the movie and I'm not sure what the fuss is all about... Was the movie great? No it was just ok. I don't understand why it won awards, nor do I understand why it got so much buzz. In my opinion it was very average and I kept wishing for more.

Ok.

BuckNaked2k
05-15-07, 06:57 AM
I just watched the movie and I'm not sure what the fuss is all about... Was the movie great? No it was just ok. I don't understand why it won awards, nor do I understand why it got so much buzz. In my opinion it was very average and I kept wishing for more.Thanks for the
:crap:

gryffinmaster
05-15-07, 08:42 AM
Picked up the Borders Exclusive Pan's Labyrinth 2-Disc Edition earlier this morning. It did, in fact, ring up at $22.99 (as marked). The Exclusive booklet comes packaged INSIDE the actual case, much like a full booklet insert inside the clasps. It's a nice little booklet that's worth a trip to Borders to pick up at the same price as other B&M retailers. Any worries about the exclusive not fitting in the case should be laid to rest, as it was made to be insert-ish. :up:

Plus, the wonderful slipcover is raised around the faun's body. Though the 2-disc artwork wasn't wholly impressive at first (though I still liked it), this little slipcover is actually very, very nice looking. :D

Mr. Cinema
05-15-07, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the
:crap:
Does this thread only allow high praise of this film?

Mr. Cinema
05-15-07, 09:26 AM
I stopped by Target and they only got in 6 copies of the 2-disc set. Of course, they had a billion copies of the classic Stomp the Yard. Slipcover is very nice. I hope I'm able to watch the film today. Unfortunately, I missed the theatrical run.

ShaunoftheDead
05-15-07, 09:29 AM
I stopped by Target and they only got in 6 copies of the 2-disc set. Of course, they had a billion copies of the classic Stomp the Yard. Slipcover is very nice. I hope I'm able to watch the film today. Unfortunately, I missed the theatrical run.
Really? Only 6. I was going to go there as well, but not till after 4pm.

Anyone else find a limited amount at Target?

ShaunoftheDead
05-15-07, 09:32 AM
I just don't think you are accustomed to great cinema.

Wildo1966
05-15-07, 09:38 AM

Yes, the local Target here in MA had exactly 6 copies also...They had two in the main front new release rack and then 4 in their back new release rack....One trick you can use at Target, take the dvd to one of their electronic price checkers, scan the 2 disk set, the display will show the price and also look and see where it says 'More In Stockroom: No', that will tell you if they have more...I was at my Target at 8:30 this morning....Good Luck

Mr. Cinema
05-15-07, 09:50 AM

I was surprised. They had about 30 copies of the 1-disc. They advertised the 2-disc set, so you'd think they'd have at least 10-15 copies.

BuckNaked2k
05-15-07, 10:34 AM
Does this thread only allow high praise of this film?This thread is to discuss the DVD (picture, sound, features, artwork, etc.). A better place to trash (or parise) the film is here:

Pan's Labyrinth (http://72.9.159.219/showthread.php?t=487709)

ShaunoftheDead
05-15-07, 11:16 AM
Yes, the local Target here in MA had exactly 6 copies also...They had two in the main front new release rack and then 4 in their back new release rack...
I guess this is the general consensus with all Targets? Anyone know if CC has a bigger stock?

Maxflier
05-15-07, 11:19 AM
Just reserved a copy of the Borders exclusive for in-store pickup :thumbsup:

BuckNaked2k
05-15-07, 11:44 AM
Just reserved a copy of the Borders exclusive for in-store pickup :thumbsup:

Just did the same. :thumbsup:

Pointyskull
05-15-07, 11:46 AM
Anyone know if CC has a bigger stock?

Just picked up the 2-disc version at Best Buy. They had a ton...

KFelon
05-15-07, 12:09 PM
Fiancee is going to pickup the Borders version for me today & someone is going to pickup the Futureshop exclusive for me this week.

Tenacious D
05-15-07, 12:32 PM
I picked up the 2-disc at my local Borders for 22.99. They had about 20 of the 2-discers, but only about half of those had the sticker on the front that said "Borders exclusive booklet inside" or something to that effect. I'm thinking that the copies without that sticker might not have the booklet.

rmick
05-15-07, 01:05 PM
Anyone know the difference between the normal insert and the Border's insert? Picked up the Border's exclusive and am wondering if I am missing a standard booklet or if this is all there should be. I got a 16 page booklet with "An Inside Look at the Making of Pan's Labyrinth" on the bottom and a picture of the faun embracing the little girl.

BuckNaked2k
05-15-07, 01:07 PM
Anyone know the difference between the normal insert and the Border's insert? Picked up the Border's exclusive and am wondering if I am missing a standard booklet or if this is all there should be. I got a 16 page booklet with "An Inside Look at the Making of Pan's Labyrinth" on the bottom and a picture of the faun embracing the little girl.Yea, you got it. See post #102 this thread.

Randy Miller III
05-15-07, 01:12 PM
As mentioned in my review, the only insert included (aside from retailer exclusives, of course) is a promotional booklet for Picturehouse. In other words, you're not missing anything of importance.

Yavin
05-15-07, 01:41 PM
After debating it, I picked up the FutureShop 2-disc version with the exclusive (slip)cover. I haven't opened it yet though.

Can anyone confirm if the actual cover art under the slipcover matches the Mike Mignola artwork on the slipcover, or is it just the regular 2-disc coverart under there?

Zodiac_Speaking
05-15-07, 02:27 PM
Under the slip cover is the exact same cover as the slip.

Yavin
05-15-07, 02:35 PM

Sweet .. it would suck if they just put the exclusive slipcover over the regular cover art. It's still no steelbook, but it'll do.

Josh H
05-15-07, 03:48 PM
Picked up the 2-disc at the local Best Buy this afternoon. There were still 15 or so left when i grabbed mine around 2.

Yavin
05-15-07, 03:54 PM
Picked up the 2-disc at the local Best Buy this afternoon. There were still 15 or so left when i grabbed mine around 2.

I checked out the Best Buy (Canada) exclusive with the bonus lithograph ... the bonus seemed very disappointing though, so I passed. It was numbered, though. Anyone know what the total production run is for these lithographs?

Also, HMV Canada has a booklet packed in with the 2-disc release. Anyone know if this is the same as the Borders exclusive booklet in the US?

KFelon
05-15-07, 04:07 PM
That's awesome because the Mignolia art is very slick. I think I'll keep mine sealed when it arrives then.

kms_md
05-15-07, 04:41 PM
my local BB had many copies of the 2 disc edition as well.

OldBoy
05-15-07, 04:46 PM
That's awesome because the Mignolia art is very slick. I think I'll keep mine sealed when it arrives then.
what's the point of keeping sealed & not enjoying the actual discs?

IanUngstad
05-15-07, 06:23 PM
I just picked this up at HMV here in Canada.

I don't know if it's an HMV exclusive or anything, but they have the 2 disc of Pan's Labyrinth, which comes packaged with another Del Toro DVD called Cronos: The 10th Anniversy edition. It has a red slip around both dvds holding the package together.

2 films for 28 bucks, so it makes each one 14 bucks each. Im happy with it! :)

Wildo1966
05-15-07, 06:32 PM
what's the point of keeping sealed & not enjoying the actual discs?

That is a question I often ask myself after reading about some of the people on here....Why buy something and not open and enjoy it? It just doesn't make any sense....

Vision of Love
05-15-07, 06:53 PM

Thanks! I bought this earlier today after some hesitation as the slip wasn't in fancy embossed/shiny stock and I worried the inside cover would just be standard. I kept it sealed because of this.

I also saw the two-pack with Cronos but it was several bucks more, but if it is $28 at HMV I'll take that!

TomOpus
05-15-07, 07:03 PM
Anyone else find a limited amount at Target?At the one I went to, there were only 2 of the 2-disc left but a lot more of the single disc. I got there around 3:30pm.

firteen88
05-15-07, 07:08 PM
I just picked up the 2-disc at target here in long island

royalwithcheese
05-15-07, 07:22 PM
i'd buy it if the cover weren't soooooo bad...

whotony
05-15-07, 07:44 PM
i'd buy it if the cover weren't soooooo bad...

oh yeah.
good reason not to buy a movie.

mzupeman2
05-15-07, 09:42 PM
Anywho, today was the first time seeing Pan's Labyrinth. I liked it quite a bit.

It's a bit of a shame that the black levels weren't really solid throughout the entirety of the film. Picture is sharp, clean, looks really nice a majority of the time... but there's some instances where the black level is kinda muddy.

EvlAsh
05-16-07, 12:14 AM
The 2-Disc was a pain in the butt to find (plenty of the singled discs though). I didn't have time to pick it up this morning so I was running around like a madman this afternoon trying to find one. Then again, I wasn't the only one. :) Anyway, I eventually got the last copy at my local CC.

xage
05-16-07, 12:54 AM
Any actual photoshot of the said exclusive?

It does look good, and if this is the best there is I may have to get it!

http://www.bordersmedia.com/features/pages/images/panslabyrinth/panslabyrinth1.gif
http://www.bordersmedia.com/features/pages/images/panslabyrinth/panslabyrinth2.jpg
http://www.bordersmedia.com/features/pages/images/panslabyrinth/panslabyrinth3.jpg
http://www.bordersmedia.com/features/pages/images/panslabyrinth/panslabyrinth4.jpg

matome
05-16-07, 08:04 AM
Just picked up the 2-disc version at Best Buy. They had a ton...

Yep, my Best Buy had plenty of 2-discs, though they seemed to have gone through the single-discs pretty well.

Yavin
05-16-07, 09:02 AM
Thanks! I bought this earlier today after some hesitation as the slip wasn't in fancy embossed/shiny stock and I worried the inside cover would just be standard. I kept it sealed because of this.

I also saw the two-pack with Cronos but it was several bucks more, but if it is $28 at HMV I'll take that!

I spent a good long while standing in front of the copies of Pan's Labyrinth in the store, trying to figure out whether to get the 2-disc with the exclusive cover or to get the two-pack with Cronos (since they were essentially the same price, at different stores though).

If they had done a two-pack with the special edition of The Devil's Backbone, I would have picked it up in a heartbeat. But I've never seen the 10th annivesary edition of Cronos on store shelves before. Should I go and pick up the two-pack instead? Is the quality of the disc and the film substantial enough that I should forego exclusive cover art?

parrotheads4
05-16-07, 10:15 AM
I just wish a dubbed version was offered. I thought the transfer was very good, but it can be tough to appreciate it when your reading.

ShaunoftheDead
05-16-07, 10:55 AM
I just wish a dubbed version was offered. I thought the transfer was very good, but it can be tough to appreciate it when your reading.
-ohbfrank-

wennma01
05-16-07, 11:01 AM
-ohbfrank-

i concur

IIG
05-16-07, 11:10 AM
A dubbed version of this movie would be terrible.

steebo777
05-16-07, 11:11 AM
:jawdrop: Seriously dude?

Richard Malloy
05-16-07, 11:15 AM
C'mon people, no rubbernecking, gawking, or pointing and laughing. If it's not a joke, it's merely misguided, so let's all just move along, move along....

Wildo1966
05-16-07, 11:52 AM
Some people (like myself) find it very difficult to follow a movie with sub-titles, I myself have trouble keeping up with them when the sub-titles come fast and furious...The only title I had no problem with was Passion Of The Christ, few words to read...

ShaunoftheDead
05-16-07, 12:22 PM
Some people (like myself) find it very difficult to follow a movie with sub-titles, I myself have trouble keeping up with them when the sub-titles come fast and furious...The only title I had no problem with was Passion Of The Christ, few words to read...
-ohbfrank-

JACOB
05-16-07, 12:27 PM
I always worried about that the fast subtitles.. I did not have that problem with pan's labyrinth. it was easy to follow.

Jacob

Giles
05-16-07, 12:28 PM
the only time I can't stand subtitles are when the subtitling house uses no sort of outline lettering font, white lettering on white backgrounds are eye straining and downright annoying... also I find yellow subtitling also distracting, particularily for 'Das Boot' when the color scheme for the film is mostly blue and black.... yeech!

Giles
05-16-07, 12:30 PM

which is ironic in a way considering the actor of Pan is American and had to learn and speak in Spanish for his character.

BuckNaked2k
05-16-07, 12:40 PM
Some people (like myself) find it very difficult to follow a movie with sub-titles, I myself have trouble keeping up with them when the sub-titles come fast and furious...I understand. The Infernal Affairs Trilogy was very fast-paced in terms of dialogue, and I frequently found myself going back with my DVD remote to reread subtitles.

Giles
05-16-07, 12:42 PM
I understand. The Infernal Affairs Trilogy was very fast-paced in terms of dialogue, and I frequently found myself going back with my DVD remote to reread subtitles.

that's actually a common problem with quite a few HK discs I own as well.

Vision of Love
05-16-07, 12:45 PM
I spent a good long while standing in front of the copies of Pan's Labyrinth in the store, trying to figure out whether to get the 2-disc with the exclusive cover or to get the two-pack with Cronos (since they were essentially the same price, at different stores though).

If they had done a two-pack with the special edition of The Devil's Backbone, I would have picked it up in a heartbeat. But I've never seen the 10th annivesary edition of Cronos on store shelves before. Should I go and pick up the two-pack instead? Is the quality of the disc and the film substantial enough that I should forego exclusive cover art?

I spent almost ten minutes in front of the new releases shelves at Future Shop. Almost looked strange if someone had noticed me.

I ended up not buying the 2-pack. The IMDb rating was only a "modest" 6.7, and if I really wanted Cronos, I could just buy it later, likely for a similarly modest price. If I hadn't gone for the FS exclusive cover I probably would regret it later since it's limited.

Yavin
05-16-07, 12:50 PM
Did you also spend another 5 minutes going through all the copies of the exclusive cover to find one in the best condition? I know I did, since most of them had crushed corners ...

I wonder how limited this exclusive cover version will actually be though. Will it be as limited as the Departed steelbook, which was basically gone after a few days, or it will it be as limited as the MI-III steelbook, which I still saw on the shelves months after its original release. Only time will tell I suppose.

But I had a good look at the regular cover for the 2-disc today, and I can say that I'm glad I picked up the Future Shop cover -- the regular one pales in comparison.

I spent almost ten minutes in front of the new releases shelves at Future Shop. Almost looked strange if someone had noticed me.

I ended up not buying the 2-pack. The IMDb rating was only a "modest" 6.7, and if I really wanted Cronos, I could just buy it later, likely for a similarly modest price. If I hadn't gone for the FS exclusive cover I probably would regret it later since it's limited.

intrigued101
05-16-07, 01:46 PM

I have a feeling I will be doing the same thing this evening - Didn't get a chance to pick it up yesterday. Although I am leaning more towards to two-pack..

Frenzal Rhomb
05-16-07, 02:01 PM
Did you also spend another 5 minutes going through all the copies of the exclusive cover to find one in the best condition? I know I did, since most of them had crushed corners ...

I wonder how limited this exclusive cover version will actually be though. Will it be as limited as the Departed steelbook, which was basically gone after a few days, or it will it be as limited as the MI-III steelbook, which I still saw on the shelves months after its original release. Only time will tell I suppose.

But I had a good look at the regular cover for the 2-disc today, and I can say that I'm glad I picked up the Future Shop cover -- the regular one pales in comparison.

is that futureshop cover bilingual..?

Yavin
05-16-07, 02:03 PM
It is indeed, but the french lettering is small and unobtrusive on the front. It has equal presence on the spine as the English text. But all this is forgiveable for the better cover design IMO.

is that futureshop cover bilingual..?

parrotheads4
05-16-07, 02:15 PM
I watched Brotherhood of the Wolf with subtitles. It had rave reviews for cinematography. I missed some of the shots while reading. I re-watched it with dubbs, and enjoyed it more.

Vision of Love
05-16-07, 02:17 PM

All of us DVD fools really are alike. :) I did the same. I checked the general new releases shelves, its own special display section, and even went to the regular shelves just in case.

It was for that reason that I momentarily considered just going for the two-pack as the regular 2-discer's cover was made of a better quality card stock. I doubt we'd have the crushed corner problem if the slips weren't inside the shrinkwrap!

Frozenhamster
05-16-07, 03:26 PM
I bought the exclusive cover version from Future Shop and underneath the slipcover was jsut the regular cover, but I don't mind because the slipcover is just so good looking.

What I did find though was that the quality of the cardstock used for the slipcover was not very good and the slipcover was also a bit too big to fit nicely on the dvd. To fix both of these problems I took a slipcover from another dvd that I owned but didnt like. I opened up the glue on the Pan's cover and glued it overtop of the crappy cover. This made the slipcover ticker and more durable while at the same time making it fit tighter on the keepcase.

I still may just end up ordering the beautiful Korean edition of the dvd and replacing the discs in that with R1. But we'll see. I'm just glad I can watch it over and over whenever I want. And the commentary is fantastic by the way.

Yavin
05-16-07, 03:30 PM
This is disturbing news. Anyone else have a similar experience? I'd hate to finally get around to opening mine and finding the exact same cover as the regular 2-disc under that classy slipcover...

I bought the exclusive cover version from Future Shop and underneath the slipcover was jsut the regular cover

penguin42
05-16-07, 03:31 PM
this movie was incredible!

GuruTwo
05-16-07, 03:43 PM
This is disturbing news. Anyone else have a similar experience? I'd hate to finally get around to opening mine and finding the exact same cover as the regular 2-disc under that classy slipcover...

Oh man, that would be quite the tragedy.

Apone
05-16-07, 03:48 PM

I'm sorry but... :lol: That's so cheeky.

Yavin
05-16-07, 03:51 PM
Hey, I may as well pick up the two pack with Cronos (it would be a dollar or so more) if it's just the outer slipcover that's different. But the cover in the dvd case, that's a different story! ;)

Oh man, that would be quite the tragedy.

EvlAsh
05-16-07, 06:42 PM
Could some one please post a picture of the Future Shop exclusive cover?

Thanks in advanced.

thursdaynighter
05-16-07, 07:23 PM
I just picked it up (2 disc) at Costco for $20.49. No insert or special additions, but I've never seen it and am looking forward to a viewing.

xage
05-16-07, 09:09 PM
Could some one please post a picture of the Future Shop exclusive cover?

Thanks in advanced.

Hope this help dude!

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u76/cultcollectibledvd/100_0708.jpg

image credit to errolflynn12345 from another forum

Vision of Love
05-16-07, 09:38 PM

:eek:

Tragedy just happened for me three minutes ago. :( It was loose too. On the upside, even though the card stock's of not-so-great quality, the red and the gold on the cover are actually in a metallic/foil overlay and the white logo is shiny (plastic coated).

Still, this disappointment almost makes me want to trade it for the regular slip.

EvlAsh
05-16-07, 10:08 PM
Thanks Xage.

Yavin
05-17-07, 08:13 AM
I can't seem to view the image posted by Xage. Can you confirm if, on your copy, the cover on the actual dvd case matches the exclusive slipcover artwork?

:eek:

Tragedy just happened for me three minutes ago. :( It was loose too. On the upside, even though the card stock's of not-so-great quality, the red and the gold on the cover are actually in a metallic/foil overlay and the white logo is shiny (plastic coated).

Still, this disappointment almost makes me want to trade it for the regular slip.

ShaunoftheDead
05-17-07, 08:50 AM
Good 'ole U.S.A. slipcovers!

dom56
05-17-07, 02:29 PM
Jesus...I had a hard time finding the 2-disc here in my town. Best Buy, Circuit City, and Target were both sold out. Finally found several copies at Wal-Mart and their were priced almost $30 :mad:. I just grab it cause I really wanted this badly and wasn't going to wait for the other stores to get them in stocked.

I had to laugh at my Wal-Mart and Target cause they put a notice on the display rack holding Pan's Labyrinth saying this movie is in subtitle and there is no English dubbed version. :lol:

Vision of Love
05-17-07, 04:06 PM
I can't seem to view the image posted by Xage. Can you confirm if, on your copy, the cover on the actual dvd case matches the exclusive slipcover artwork?

I've reuploaded the picture here: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/Moni83/100_0708.jpg

My tragedy was that, upon removing the shrinkwrap, I saw the regular, floating Pan head cover slide (yes, slide... it was loose) out of the pretty exclusive slipcover.

So the only exclusive is the slipcover, not the cover in the DVD case. :(

I found out today at HMV that I could've gotten a bonus booklet (but without exclusive slip) for the same price I paid at Future Shop.

Then again, the slipcover is still nice to look at. I just hate that the case literally slides out.

Yavin
05-17-07, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the info. I may have to rethink my purchase then. If all I get is a different slipcover I might as well go for the two-pack, or even the exclusive from HMV ...

So the only exclusive is the slipcover, not the cover in the DVD case. :(

whotony
05-17-07, 05:21 PM
at BBV we were told to inform customers that it is subtitled.
and to make sure they know it is not for children.

at least 2 out of 5 have not rented due to it being subtitled

Brujo
05-17-07, 09:42 PM
Does anybody know if Pan's is gonna be released in HD in the near future?

musick
05-17-07, 10:58 PM

at least 2 out of 5 have not rented due to it being subtitled
and the other 3 BBV customers needed the term subtitled to be explained to them

powersofi
05-18-07, 01:33 AM
I have been lurking here for a few weeks now, sucking up all sorts of good information so I thought I'd contribute this important story for anyone who is looking to buy (or has bought) the Borders Exclusive Edition. I picked up a copy of the 2 disc at Borders with the exclusive booklet today. Before I got to my car I tore the sucker open to get a look at the booklet - and it wasn't there. I double checked that the slipcase had the "Borders Exclusive 16 Page Booklet" sticker affixed to it and it did. My receipt even read "Borders Exclusive" next to the normal disc description. I took it back and they exchanged it with another copy that had the sticker and the booklet inside (they opened it in front of me). So this is just a warning - if you buy the Borders Exclusive one, even if it has the sticker on it it may not include the booklet! Make sure you open it and confirm the booklet is there. It is a very strange thing and I am sort of shocked it happened but I just wanted to warn everyone!

BuckNaked2k
05-18-07, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the tip.

I noticed that they affixed a stick-on barcode over the original UPC in order to get their system to recognize this as a separate edition. If your receipt read "Borders exclusive edition" you must have had that sticker, and just got a bum copy. Glad to hear they fixed it for you.

Fincher Fan
05-18-07, 10:13 AM

It's subtitled?!? Thanks for the warning, I just canceled my order.

crs
05-18-07, 10:32 AM
It's subtitled?!? Thanks for the warning, I just canceled my order.

It's true, it has subtitles. Unfortunately, it's only for people that can read. Like the very first post in this thread where it clearly states it only got Spanish language tracks. :eyebrow:

Jippy
05-18-07, 10:43 AM
Spanish you say?! Blasphemy!!

...All kidding aside, I just watched this again a couple of nights ago. My wife saw it for the first time and was in tears by the end. Didn't think it would have quite tha effect on her, but she was really taken by the story and the bittersweet ending. An even better film on the second viewing. There was so many more things I took away from it. I hope to check out the extras this weekend.

gerrythedon
05-18-07, 08:52 PM
Spanish you say?! Blasphemy!!

...All kidding aside, I just watched this again a couple of nights ago. My wife saw it for the first time and was in tears by the end. Didn't think it would have quite tha effect on her, but she was really taken by the story and the bittersweet ending. An even better film on the second viewing. There was so many more things I took away from it. I hope to check out the extras this weekend.

Great movie [didn't catch it in theaters] The extras were pretty good, was hoping for more footage on the filming [like a video diary]. The best thing is the Charlie Rose interview, wished it was longer!

rhcp1214
05-19-07, 12:37 PM
Just picked the two-discer up today at FYE, cause they had a decent mail-in-rebate and i had a gift card...but when I was it Best Buy, none of the two-disc ones had slipcover, but the one I picked up at FYE did. Weird.

The Running Man
05-19-07, 09:30 PM

Ignoring the typical forced wannabe cinephile silly replies that followed your comment parrotheads4, I agree that it's a shame a dubbed version wasn't made for the movie.

Let it be known, that unlike the highly annoying "geekery" that always turns it's ugly head bash all dubs, good or bad, unfairly...it would be have been nice to see a well made English dub version of the movie.

Anyway, I liked the film, but didn't love it like a lot are saying and it most certain wasn't the best film I saw last year.

It's by far Del Toro's best film but that's not such a compliment since I thought all the films he has done previously ranged from below average to just plain crap. It's a good movie but for me it's no second coming.

Good thing I waited to compare the extras from the US, UK, and Spanish DVD sets. The US and UK discs are very much lacking in the extras department (I think the near perfect score Randy gave it in his review is way too high). The Spanish release includes way more stuff, so I'll be getting that.

Although I find it interesting that Del Toro actually did two commentaries for the film in each language. Most directors just do one and let that one be translated for other releases. Wonder how each compare.

Sondheim
05-19-07, 11:33 PM
Ignoring the typical forced wannabe cinephile silly replies that followed your comment parrotheads4, I agree that it's a shame a dubbed version wasn't made for the movie.
So because we don't agree with you we suddenly are degraded to the level of "wannabe cinephiles?" Cool.

Anyways, while I liked the film quite a bit after seeing it in the theater, I liked it even more after the second viewing (on DVD.) The mixture of fantasy and reality "worked" better for me the second time around, since I knew what to expect.

The 2-disc DVD is quite excellent, in my opinion, with excellent video and audio. And the few extra features I have gone through are worthwhile.

And now I'm going to go and watch "The Devil's Backbone" for the first time.

Spiral Staircase
05-20-07, 12:13 AM
Great movie [didn't catch it in theaters] The extras were pretty good, was hoping for more footage on the filming [like a video diary]. The best thing is the Charlie Rose interview, wished it was longer!

I'll second that. Charlie Rose interviews are always a welcome extra. I got the feeling that Iñárritu was a bit out of his league. He does not seem operate on the same intellectual and theoretical levels as Del Toro and Cuarón.

The Running Man
05-20-07, 08:55 AM
So because we don't agree with you we suddenly are degraded to the level of "wannabe cinephiles?" Cool.

No friend, it's the way that disagreement is handled by the opposite party that degrades. It's poor, lousy, and childish.

RichDB10
05-21-07, 07:24 AM
http://www.dvd-bonus.com/images/avril07/lelabyrinthedepanpack3.jpg

Apologies for referring to the R2 French edition again outside of the International Forum but interestingly enough appears to be 5 discs including a HD-DVD!!!

:- http://www.devildead.com/covers.php3?cv=15062&cvn=1&FilmsID=7279

parrotheads4
05-21-07, 11:46 AM
Well I watched the movie again. I liked the movie, but I feel it is over rated. Five stars? No Way. What's up with DVDTalk reviews lately. Four stars for Smokin' Aces?

And yes, I still wish it was dubbed. I'm just a regular guy - not sophisticated like so many of you.

y2afromphilly
05-21-07, 10:23 PM
hey guys how ya doing. I got my pans labyrinth dvd this past week from columbia house. I wasnt there to recieve it cause i was away. I ordered the 2 disc plantnium edition. I get home yesterday and my sister tells me hey this arrived thursday. I opend it its pans labyrinth but columbia house send me the 1 disc set. I had ordered the 2 disc set. I was thinking of sending it back but since i was so anxious to watch the movie i said oh what the hell as long that its in widescreen its all good.

My question is the video from the 2 disc set is the same video for the 1 disc set. Just curious thats all. I know most of ya got the 2 disc set but if any one knows if it is the same i would really appreciate it. even though im mad that i got the 1 disc set atleast the 1 disc set got the original poster art plus it came with the slip cover im shocked that it came with the slip cover normally dvds from columbia house dont come with the slip covers. I was going to send it back but i know im going to have to wait a week or two to get it back. By the way i watched the movie last night and it was great. I had never seent it before, this was a great blind buy for me.

Mr. Salty
05-22-07, 03:06 PM
I liked the movie, but I feel it is over rated. Five stars? No Way. What's up with DVDTalk reviews lately.
DVD Talk is hardly the only place that gave Pan's Labyrinth such a glowing review. Check Rotten Tomatoes. You're in the minority on this one.

Giles
05-22-07, 03:13 PM
Does anybody know if Pan's is gonna be released in HD in the near future?

no it isnt...

kidding... New Line will have to do some major catch up when and what format they will release their films on HiDef.

parrotheads4
05-22-07, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk is hardly the only place that gave Pan's Labyrinth such a glowing review. Check Rotten Tomatoes. You're in the minority on this one.

It seems I am in the minority here. I would have given it 3 out of 5. A good rating. I wonder if being a "minority" helped the reviews.

I also wonder if The New York Times had given EPIC Movie 4 out of 4 stars how many posters here would have agreed.

Kguy1326
05-22-07, 05:47 PM
Today I was in a Walmart and they had a sign that read something along the likes of: "As for now "Pan's Labyrinth" is only available in Spanish with English subtitles." I went there last week to get "Pan's" and this sign wasn't up then.

I read that, and wanted to laugh my ass off. I also wanna meet the dumbf--k who'd ask for a dubbed version, then slap him f-ing silly. "Pan's" will never ever be dubbed, and anyone who asks or wants it dubbed simply should never be allowed to see the film EVER!!!!!

Funny thing is maybe for these idiot shoppers there, they should post the same warning for "Letters From Iwo Jima" and "Apocolypto" this week.

parrotheads4
05-22-07, 06:19 PM
Today I was in a Walmart and they had a sign that read something along the likes of: "As for now "Pan's Labyrinth" is only available in Spanish with English subtitles." I went there last week to get "Pan's" and this sign wasn't up then.

I read that, and wanted to laugh my ass off. I also wanna meet the dumbf--k who'd ask for a dubbed version, then slap him f-ing silly. "Pan's" will never ever be dubbed, and anyone who asks or wants it dubbed simply should never be allowed to see the film EVER!!!!!

Funny thing is maybe for these idiot shoppers there, they should post the same warning for "Letters From Iwo Jima" and "Apocolypto" this week.

Wow, very sophisticated people don't seem to like dubbing. Odd...usually sophisticated people don't shop at Walmart - that sweatshop thing. ;)

OldBoy
05-22-07, 06:27 PM

ah man, that is so funny bc i was in BBV today and nearly the same thing happened. i was looking down the aisles and there was no one in there and very small store. the clerks (2) were talking to a couple customers and they were all talking about "Pan's Labyrinth" , "Apocalypto" , and "Letters From Iwo Jima". one of the clerks was like they are good movies, but they are only in foreign languages. they don't have "english dubbing". and they were all like i hate to read when i am watching and the customers were all like yeah, i know, i have to take out my glasses and that is annoying.

all the while i am like these people are just so uneducated about good cinema and they work in a movie store for goodness sake.
then the clerk was like don't forget to tell everyone renting Apoc and Letters (since they were out today) they they aren't in english. so i wasn't gonna get Letters, but i had to just to bring it up. so i got that and Apoc and the clerk said, "you know these two aren't in english" and i said "why would they be??" i didn't get into anymore conversation, but they were just such idiots.

parrotheads4
05-22-07, 06:42 PM
Yeah, I agree. Reading is so much better than hearing. I don't know why I even bother with movies.

The Running Man
05-22-07, 06:44 PM
"Pan's" will never ever be dubbed, and anyone who asks or wants it dubbed simply should never be allowed to see the film EVER!!!!!

I had something in mind to reply to that with, but then I read parrothead's reply who handled that very nicely.

;)

Kguy1326
05-22-07, 08:38 PM
Wow, very sophisticated people don't seem to like dubbing. Odd...usually sophisticated people don't shop at Walmart - that sweatshop thing. ;)

Well around my area, it's sometimes best to check Walmart first for low prices. Like for major releases Walmart here will have them for $13.72 while Best Buy will have the same release for 16.99 to 19.99. It depends on the area.

I am a sophistacted shopper, and also a smart bargain shopper. So don't discredit me.

I really don't mind subtitles. Dubs can be fine if done right, but for live action movies, most aren't. To me it doesn't matter, a good movie is a good movie, no matter what language it's in. The best dubbing jobs I've seen are on the Disney Miyazaki films. That's cause they put care into the dubs and make things sync well.

As for "Pan's" the subtitles aren't too bad, except in the beginning when they go fast, that's just the whole explanation scene. Even "Apocolypto" isn't too bad.

Panda Phil
05-23-07, 03:32 AM
My only real nit-pick with subtitled films is I that they require your undivided attention. You can't look away from the screen or else you'll miss something important.

Mr. Salty
05-23-07, 05:19 AM
You can't look away from the screen or else you'll miss something important.
That's also the case with English-language movies. Movies aren't radio. Cinema is a visual medium, and you do tend to miss stuff if you aren't looking at the screen.

Mr. Salty
05-23-07, 05:24 AM
It seems that you come into most threads about foreign-language movies that aren't available with an English dub, and make the same kind of inflammatory posts. You can make your point without calling others names. At this point, I don't see how your posts can be anything but flame bait.

Wildo1966
05-23-07, 06:12 AM
My only real nit-pick with subtitled films is I that they require your undivided attention. You can't look away from the screen or else you'll miss something important.

Which for someone like me who is borderline ADD is very hard to do...Subtitled movies are definitely not for everyone but this movie was pretty good....

BuckNaked2k
05-23-07, 06:50 AM
I will always watch a DVD in the film's original native language, whether a dubbed track is available or not (Princess Mononoke comes to mind....Claire Danes and Mini Driver??? Please.)

I do realize that it takes added concentration to watch a movie this way, and for me, that entails more frequent pauses, and rewinds when something slips by. If I'm not in the mood for that level of diligence, I'll just pop-in something that requires a little less effort, say Lebowski, or Grail.

rexinnih
05-23-07, 08:35 AM
Saw this last night. Great movie and don't mind the subtitles one bit.

The Running Man
05-23-07, 09:31 AM
I really don't mind subtitles. Dubs can be fine if done right, but for live action movies, most aren't. To me it doesn't matter, a good movie is a good movie, no matter what language it's in. The best dubbing jobs I've seen are on the Disney Miyazaki films. That's cause they put care into the dubs and make things sync well.

No offense Kguy, but it doesn't really sound like that opinion was something you formed for yourself. Just sounds like you read a bunch of stuff other's said and have taken it as your own, as almost everything you wrote sounds virtually verbatim what I have read numerous times from others who go on rants on hating all dubs.

Coming from someone that doesn't have such a prejudice against dubs, I can tell you right now that in the last half decade, some of the best dubs I have seen where live action, not animation.

It seems that you come into most threads about foreign-language movies that aren't available with an English dub, and make the same kind of inflammatory posts.

It seems, or are you guessing? Because as far as I know this is the first time I have entered a thread for a film that didn't have a dub and mentioned a dub in the topic.

You can make your point without calling others names. At this point, I don't see how your posts can be anything but flame bait.

And at this point, I can't see how your post is anything but biased. Look at the replies parrothead was given when all he expressed was that wouldn't have been nice to have a dub version on hand.

Or look at Kguy's post on this page. You say that I name called, which I didn't, but there he is blatantly calling someone who asked for a dub for Pan's Labyrinth a "dumbf--k" and that he would have slapped him "f-ing silly".

He tops it off with an over the top declaration that anyone who wants a dub for Pan's Labyrinth "simply should never be allowed to see the film EVER!!!!!"

If my reply was flame bait, which was not because I was already replying to the tone set in this thread on the issue, then Kguy's reply past it and went into a totally different universe.

But you didn't stop to point out his posts now did you? I wouldn't be off my rocker here if I would guess you don't care for dubs now would I?

And for the record, I simply like to watch a well made dub, not because I can't read or dislike subtitles (because I have no problems with that whatsoever), but the fact is that I like enjoying a film that was well done and many times they can give me a different enjoyment of the film, whether it'd be different or even better. Simple as that.

penguin42
05-23-07, 10:18 AM
dubs are garbage, no such thing as a 'well made dub'.