Search this Thread

Old 01-28-07, 02:34 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 268 Likes on 203 Posts
Rome - "These Being The Words Of Marcus Tullius Cicero" - 1/28/07

"These Being The Words Of Marcus Tullius Cicero"
Spoiler:
As the nomadic Brutus and Cassius struggle to raise foreign money for an army, Mark Antony changes his post-consul itinerary from Macedonia to Gaul. The plan is derailed when Cicero delivers an in-absentia message to the Senate, then throws his support to Octavian, the new Caesar. Vorenus, meantime, is in a battle of his own, having provoked an all-out gang war in the Aventine Collegium that he blames on Pullo. At Atia's villa, Octavia passes the hours getting high on hemp, while a duplicitous youth named Duro looks for the chance to set in motion a deadly plan hatched by Servilia.
Old 01-28-07, 10:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like Atia is on her way out. I only hope Servilla isn't too far behind.
Old 01-28-07, 11:24 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 104 Posts
I thought Octavia might have got some from Agrippa!
Old 01-29-07, 02:13 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

"You want my money to raise an army, I want to see a Roman woman fucked by baboons"

Pretty good episode, and it looks like we are going to start flying through the time period now.
Old 01-29-07, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd hate to be the deliverer of bad news to Antony. You just knew he was going to get the crap kicked out of him. Another good episode!
Old 01-29-07, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nth Power
I'd hate to be the deliverer of bad news to Antony. You just knew he was going to get the crap kicked out of him. Another good episode!

Yeah I told my dad right before the guy started reading that I'd give that scroll to someone else to read.
Old 01-29-07, 08:54 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Was I the only one who found the scroll scene funny?

They hand him that big ass scroll and when he unrolls it - the paper is the size of an 8x11 sheet of paper!

I was expecting this big long decree on this giant spool of paper.
Old 01-29-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I should ahve been more specific. I would appreciate more female nudity.
Old 01-29-07, 11:09 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 104 Posts
they listened last week dave
Old 01-29-07, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,119 Likes on 684 Posts
Awesome episode! The fight scene between Pullo and Vorenus was well-done. Two well trained soldiers just going at it.

And would you ass-rape a guy who was about to take a dump? Just curious.

It makes me very sad that this is going to be the last season. Is it just not popular enough to be profitable to make more? I could watch this show for years and never get tired of it.

The preview for next week hints at a different actor possibly playing Octavian. Pullo doesn't seem to recognize him right off and they never showed him in the preview. Maybe they made the original actor hit the gym?
Old 01-29-07, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Maybe they made the original actor hit the gym?
Nope, new actor.
Old 01-29-07, 01:27 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Awesome episode! The fight scene between Pullo and Vorenus was well-done. Two well trained soldiers just going at it.

And would you ass-rape a guy who was about to take a dump? Just curious.

It makes me very sad that this is going to be the last season. Is it just not popular enough to be profitable to make more? I could watch this show for years and never get tired of it.

The preview for next week hints at a different actor possibly playing Octavian. Pullo doesn't seem to recognize him right off and they never showed him in the preview. Maybe they made the original actor hit the gym?
I was thinking the same thing about the rape scene

The ratings for the first episode were were down over 2 million from the first season premiere.
Old 01-29-07, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Both Rome & Deadwood cost in excess of $100 million per season to produce. That more than viewership (each average 5-7 million in audience) probably led to their early endings. I certainly find it heard to believe they were losing money on them but the HBO Entertainment division supposedly has been hemmoraging money for a while and axing the two most costly productions was the decision made. I subscribe to HBO -only- for the original entertainment. Most other HBO subscribers I know are the same way.

Seems like they could have done better by churning out the DVD editions more quickly and lowering the price point to where more people would buy them.
Old 01-29-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
For those interested there's an article over on hbo.com/rome by Jonathan Stamp (co-producer). It gives additional info. on Cicero's speeches against Antony. A few minor spoilers...you've been warned:
Spoiler:

The Consul is a Whore
Inside the Episode
With Jonathan Stamp

Cicero, eh? Brave man for a coward.

He finally got it together to stick it to Antony, even if he wasn't quite able to deliver his brilliantly eloquent attack in person.

Cicero really hated Antony, I mean really hated him. In the letters we still have written after the assassination of Caesar there is one theme that keeps returning. Brutus and Cassius made a mistake in not getting rid of Antony when they had the chance.

In reality Cicero ran away. He sailed from Italy on July 17th, from the port of Pompeii, some four months after Caesar's death. He was headed for Greece where he could see how things developed and stay out of harm's way.

But the gods conspired against him, specifically the weather gods. Terrible, unseasonable storms struck in the Straits of Messina off Sicily and he had to turn back. And once back in Italy, he decided to that he wasn't going to run any more.

He returned to Rome and wrote a series of speeches aimed against Antony. He called them the Philippics. This was after a Greek orator called Demosthenes who wrote a series of fabulously insulting speeches directed against Philip of Macedon, the father of Alexander the Great. They were all warnings against the threat of tyranny posed by the Kingdom of Macedon. Of course no one listened and within a decade Alexander had overrun the whole of Greece.

Cicero fared better, although he was to pay a high price, (watch Episode Six for that one). His invective did wake Rome up to Antony's excesses and no wonder, it's great stuff.

The gibes in last night's episode are all taken directly from the second of the speeches, the so-called Second Philippic. Here's another example that we didn't include:

"Let's consider your behavior from boyhood onwards...a bankrupt before you came of age, you then graduated to man's clothing, except it wasn't the toga virilis that you put on, but a woman's dress. Your first civic job? As a public prostitute, with a fixed price. Not cheap either. But then your Sugar Daddy intervened and took you off the market: a promotion you could call it. He made a sound, steady married woman of you".

Now that's the kind of stuff we should be looking out for in the next presidential campaign.

Documentarian and historian Jonathan Stamp is a former Executive Producer in the BBC History Department and acted as Consultant and Co-Producer on Rome.
Old 01-29-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts
Yup, Simon Woods, a 20-something actor, takes over the role of Octavian. Something tells me we're in for another sizable "time-jump".
Old 01-29-07, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 956 Likes on 699 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
Nope, new actor.
Thank god. There was something about the previous (or I guess you could say current until next week) actor that I can't stand. I felt the same way watching Master and Commander. Just looking at him makes me want to hit him.
Old 01-29-07, 04:32 PM

Good episode, but it felt a bit 'off' to me. The acting in the first half, mainly Vorenus, seemed out of character or fakey.

The episode picked up later though and Im glad Pullo and Vorenus had their fight and thats out of the way, I was afraid the season would end with them killing eachother. Brutus sure looked like Jesus for awhile
Old 01-29-07, 07:09 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

Great ep, I got confused, was the assasin kid in Attia's house the same kid who got a55 f*cked?

And may, this ep was a gay man's dream, it had 2 dlcks, and 2 a55 f*ck scenes. I had the same thought everyone else had, I wouldn't want to do a guy in the butt ever, but I REALLY wouldn't want to do it to a guy about to take a shlt.

I really want to see Pullo come out of all this ok, I keep fearing that his wife is going to get killed somewhere along the line.

MORE FEMALE NUDITY PLEASE
Old 01-29-07, 07:14 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jadow
Great ep, I got confused, was the assasin kid in Attia's house the same kid who got a55 f*cked?
Yes, I'm pretty sure that was the kid that last week was getting beat up and offered to suck the guys dick. It appears that was a obvious set-up to get the kid working in the house.
Old 01-29-07, 07:17 PM
Banned

But he wasn't the same kid who was getting fucked with that led to the castrations.
Old 01-29-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 621 Likes on 500 Posts
Is that where the expression "don't kill the messenger" came from?
Old 01-30-07, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
The title of this episode should have been "Everyone Gets Buttfucked".
Old 01-30-07, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
The title of this episode should have been "Everyone Gets Buttfucked".
No doubt. I thought I was watching a medieval episode of Oz or some shit.