Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

10,000 Maniacs: Where to begin?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 01-25-07, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ran across a really cool version of 10,000 Maniacs doing "Candy Everybody Wants" with Michael Stipe at Clinton's Inauguration.

When I was a teenager I picked up their Unplugged album, and it's so scratched now I can't even import to my iTunes to listen to it. So for those of you who are fans of 10,000 Maniacs, where should I begin to start listening to some of their stuff? Any must-have albums or any albums that are any good to get me going?

Thanks for any info.
Old 01-25-07, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
I'd really get their greatest hits album "Campfire Songs: The Popular, Obscure, and Unknown Recordings," first, it's got all the great songs and an entire disc of B-sides. One of the better "hits" compilations I own I think. (And I think there's an awesome version of Stipe and Merchant singing "To Sir With Love" on there.)

Frankly I think their singles hold up better than albums, but if you want albums, IMHO "Blind Man's Zoo" is their best, and "In My Tribe" a close second. Their earlier stuff never quite did it for me. "Our Time In Eden" has "Candy Everybody Wants" is slicker than the other stuff, but still some solid material. I think that's about it for their prime stuff - the lead singer left and the band put out another few albums after that but avoid them at all costs.

Last edited by The Antipodean; 01-25-07 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-25-07, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I've listened to Tiger Lily, which was Natalie Merchant's first solo album, and it's not bad at all. Thanks for the info. I'll check out the Greatest Hits, which I usually shy away from but in this case I'll go for it.

Thanks again.
Old 01-26-07, 12:12 AM

Noah's Dove is one of my all time favorite songs.
Old 01-26-07, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts
I think 10,000 Maniacs is a strong album band ... there are a number of songs I really like that aren't represented on the "Greatest Hits". Though their album peak is pretty short: "In My Tribe", "Blind Man's Zoo", and "Our Time in Eden". I have the earlier stuff (found on "Wishing Chair" and "Hope Chest") ... it's ok, but they're clearly still finding their style and skill. I haven't heard anything post-Merchant so I can't comment on it. You still might want to give those 3 core CDs a shot. There's a nice looking packing on amazon with all 3 for $25.
Old 01-26-07, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In My Tribe is easily their best album. I never cared much for Blind Man's Zoo (bought it the day it came out and was a bit bummed).
Old 01-26-07, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have most of their catalog, and Our Time in Eden is in my top 20-30 albums EVER. Easily their strongest, most polished work. Candy Everybody Wants isn't even one of the better songs on the album, if that's any indication.

Some of my favorites are:

Noah's Dove
These are Days
Jezebel
Few and Far Between
Old 01-26-07, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in the In My Tribe camp. Which album you prefer by them probably depends on when you discovered them.

In My Time... is a very close second. Blind Man's Zoo has lots of good song but isn't as consistent as the other two albums.
Old 01-26-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wishing Chair was the first album that I got into by them. In My Tribe was their big hit album on college radio shortly thereafter.

They only had 4 albums with Natalie Merchant. I'd take your pick.
Old 01-26-07, 02:01 PM

Please don't go for the Greatest Hits. They don't have that many albums, so it isn't hard to get them all if you decide you really like them. I think their best is their Unplugged album, which acts as a sort of greatest hits in a live setting, albeit with interesting acoustic instruments that offer a nice alternative to the cheesy 80's production on a couple of their albums (In My Tribe and Blind Man's Zoo). I would start with that, and if you want to go studio pick up Our Time in Eden.
Old 01-26-07, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jackson_Browne
Please don't go for the Greatest Hits. They don't have that many albums, so it isn't hard to get them all if you decide you really like them. I think their best is their Unplugged album, which acts as a sort of greatest hits in a live setting, albeit with interesting acoustic instruments that offer a nice alternative to the cheesy 80's production on a couple of their albums (In My Tribe and Blind Man's Zoo). I would start with that, and if you want to go studio pick up Our Time in Eden.
The beauty of 10,000 Maniacs at the time (besides NAtalie Merchant) was the guitar playing of Robert Buck. What you call 80's cheese was his style and its what made the band.
Old 01-26-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Since you like "Candy Everybody Wants," why not get Our Time In Eden, since it is on that album.
Old 01-26-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Few & Far Between is probably my favorite EP
Old 01-26-07, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

During the "In My Tribe" through "Our Time in Eden" era, they were my favorite band.

You can't go wrong with those two and "Blind Man's Zoo."

Headstrong is a personal favorite from that album. Poison in the Well, Eat For Two, and Hateful Hate are great too.

"In My Tribe" was one of the best cds recorded in my lifetime.

The hits you probably know, but Verdi Cries is amazing, Michael Stipe sings with the band on A Campfire Song, and Hey Jack Kerouac and Don't Talk are personal favorites. There isn't a bad tune on the album.

From "Our Time in Eden" I'll mention some tracks that haven't been brought up like Stockton Gala Days and Eden are beautiful tracks and Tolerance is very powerful. The other songs mentioned already are also great and my personal favorite is also Jezebel.

You'll have to get the Unplugged album and the greatest hits too.

If you like all of that, go back and get "The Wishing Chair" and "Hope Chest".

The only songs that I can think of right now that I know exist but have never made an appearance on any cd is a great cover of the song "Jolene" and "Dallas" with David Byrne from the unplugged performance. "Let the Mystery Be" also with Byrne is on "Campfire Songs". My favorite cover is "Everyday is like Sunday" followed closely by "(Don't Go Back to) Rockville.

Natalie has a greatest hits cd that you can probably find or order from her website. I'd get the special edition.

"Earth Pressed Flat" was actually a good album, but without Natalie I never really thought of it as a real 10,000 Maniacs album.

I remember when Kurt Loder broke the news that they had broken up. I was devestated.

Here is the video for "Candy".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs3gbxkmaKQ

Stipe version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ypkQhbaFcU

Let The Mystery Be (w/Byrne):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt_rtHuQmGY

PS-The dvd of 10,000 Maniacs videos entitled "Time Capsule" is terrific and it not only has the Candy Everybody Wants and all the other hits, but it gives you a taste from "Hope Chest" and "The Wishing Chair".

Natalie also has a VH1 Storytellers with an amazing performance of Verdi Cries.

I can probably hook you up with Natalie's live version of "Sympathy for the Devil" and a newly remastered version of "Photograph" which is also Michael and Natalie from a benefit cd.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 01-27-07 at 03:28 AM.
Old 01-26-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another vote for "Our Time in Eden", but really you can't go wrong with "In My Tribe" or "Blind Man's Zoo" as well (I never bothered with them after Natalie left) I've known a couple of people who can't get into their early material, but I still I like it. A less refined Maniacs, if you will.

Oh, and try to snag their cover of "Peace Train". I bought "In My Tribe" when it first came out, so it was still on there. I believe it's on "Campfire Songs" now.
Old 01-26-07, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by CRM114
The beauty of 10,000 Maniacs at the time (besides NAtalie Merchant) was the guitar playing of Robert Buck. What you call 80's cheese was his style and its what made the band.
I don't know anyone that listens to them because of Buck's guitar playing - that is a huge overstatement to say that his style made the band. Natalie's voice is what made the band - that's why nobody cared about them after she left. Anyway, the drums are more what I was referring to when I was talking about the cheesy 80's production.
Old 11-16-14, 02:26 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: 10,000 Maniacs: Where to begin?

I'll bump this and make this the official 10,000 Maniacs thread.

I think I have a faulty memory. I recall a period of time around Blind Man's Zoo when Natalie Merchant shaved her head. My memory of this is so specific that I was certain that the music video for Trouble Me featured her with this look. My memory is of a video shot on an interior set in black and white and the female singer's head is completely shaved, like shorter than Sinead O'Connor, like full cue ball.

I went hunting on youtube and cannot find this video. I think I've mixed some things up in my mind. Did Natalie ever sport such a look? Any idea what video I'm thinking of?
Old 11-16-14, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

This is the weirdest thread bump ever. But I sure don't recall any Shaved Natalie back in the day...
Old 11-16-14, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts

there's no way i'm running a search and having shaved natalie in my browser history