Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I'm thinking about buying an Xbox 360

Old 01-25-07, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking about buying an Xbox 360

The thread title says it all.

I'm trying to decide which one to get:

Xbox 360 Core System ($299.99) or the Xbox 360 Console with the 20GB hd ($399.99).

I'm debating the extra $100. I'm not concerned about playing games online right now. I also don't mind having controllers with wires. Do I really need the 20 GB hard drive if I'm not playing online? Would the Core System allow me to play games in 1080i HD when I purchase the Xbox 360 Component HD AV cable ($40)?

Or am I just penny-pinching too much? Should I just go with the Xbox 360 Console with the 20GB hd - is that a better long-term purchase?

I'm also thinking about adding the Xbox 360 HD DVD Player in the near future if everything works out well.

Here's my television: Sony KDF-50WE655 - any issues with my tv?

Games: I'm looking to get a few games off the bat - Gears of War, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas, and Call Of Duty 3. I'm also digging NCAA March Madness 07, College Hoops 2K7, and Lost Planet: Extreme Condition.

Thanks for your help - I appreciate it
Old 01-25-07, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

do NOT buy a 360 unless you get a the premium package.

seriously, don't do it
Old 01-25-07, 09:40 AM

Agreed...Lot of games utilize the Hard drive whether you realize it or not.
Old 01-25-07, 09:41 AM

Yeah even if you're not planning on online gaming right away buying the premium 360 is still worth it. Planning on saving any of your progress in the games you've mentioned? I assume you would want that ability, plan on buying the memory unit along with the Component cables and you're looking at spending something like $60 right out of the gate on the core system. The premium not only ensures that you will have plenty of space for game saves but it also comes with the component cables wireless controller, headset etc. The only reason I could think of for buying a core system was that was all you could find at launch, now that there are plenty of 360s kicking around there is no real reason for anyone to buy a core system.
Old 01-25-07, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
You get the $40 HD cables, the Wireless controler ($20 premium?), and the Hard Drive ($99) all for $100.

BUY THE $399 ONE.
Old 01-25-07, 09:42 AM

i know the day or 2 right after christmas, my brother in-law called me at work, asking "how do you save a game on the 360"

I assumed he meant he got the core, so i asked him "didn't you get one with the harddrive?!?"

I learned that he just wanted to save 100 bucks, but he didn't realize how much he actually lost out on. Its to your advantage to pay the 100 up front. Otherwise, you'd be paying about 250 through the back-door
Old 01-25-07, 09:44 AM
Banned

IMO don't skimp on the system, pay the extra and get the more powerful version. Right now it appears the XBox is the way to go for gaming.
Old 01-25-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kmac2878
I'm debating the extra $100. I'm not concerned about playing games online right now. I also don't mind having controllers with wires. Do I really need the 20 GB hard drive if I'm not playing online? Would the Core System allow me to play games in 1080i HD when I purchase the Xbox 360 Component HD AV cable ($40)?
For sixty bucks more, you'd get the hard drive and the wireless controller--which sell for $150 separately.

I wonder how many Core system buyers go back and buy the other stuff, separately. I bet a lot of them do.
Old 01-25-07, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does an Xbox cry when it is put in a core retail box?
Old 01-25-07, 10:01 AM

Use one of the 10% overstock or $40off Circuit City coupons floating around and get is for $360.
Old 01-25-07, 10:20 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not concerned about playing games online right now. Do I really need the 20 GB hard drive if I'm not playing online?
Even if you're not playing games online, are you interested in online content like demos, Live Arcade, game trailers, etc.? Because those are all free through the Silver plan even if you don't want to pay for the premium Gold (online gaming) portion of Live. And without the HD you wouldn't be able to download/store any of that stuff.

Also, you can't play any backward compatible original Xbox games without the HD.
Old 01-25-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, get the PREMIUM. Or, you have to buy a Memory Card, Component Cables and a Wireless controller as wired is no fun anymore
Old 01-25-07, 10:57 AM

...I'm not concerned about playing games online right now. I also don't mind having controllers with wires. ...
I made the exact same two statements as you...and now I find myself wanting to upgrade to a gold xbl to play online and of the two controllers I have (one wired one wireless) the wired one has never been used.

I concur with everyone else, go premium.
Old 01-25-07, 10:58 AM
Suspended

Premium, and use the $40 off $200 Circuit City coupon to make you feel a little better.
Old 01-25-07, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts
As everyone else has already stated, fork out the extra $100 for the premium. You'll have to buy a memory card or hard drive anyway, along with the component cables. It's cheaper and easier just to get it all in the same package.

Also, I had absolutely no interest in live when I bought mine, but it quickly changed my mind. I still don't really get into the whole playing-competitively-against-a-bunch-of-strangers style of live play, but online co-op absolutely kicks ass if a game does it well and you have a buddy to play with. On top of this, being able to purchase Live Arcade titles and download free demos of games both make the hard drive well worth the extra money.
Old 01-25-07, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Memory Unit(64MB) - $30
Component Cables - $40
---------------------
total with Core - $370
Premium(13GB) - $400

No contest. Like everyone else said the premium also gives you the ability to play BackCompat games, download Live Arcade Games, demos, etc. You get a headset, and the wireless pad. But it really boils down to if you want a cool looking chrome drive bay, because that's all that really matters.
Old 01-25-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As everyone else said, get the PREMIUM. Well worth the extra $100.

As for the games you mentioned, I'd advise picking up GoW, R6: Vegas and COD 2 (not 3).

There are a couple of threads in the forum where posters list their top 5 games. I used those lists to start builing my library.
Old 01-25-07, 11:47 AM
Retired

Definitely get the premium. The Core is called the tard pack for a reason.

Right now isn't the best time to buy probably though. The 360s with the new CPU (which hopefully won't have the same rate of over heating problems) is supposedly shipping soon.

And I'd be amazed if there wasn't a $100 price drop sometime this year. The only question is whether is is in May (used to be a lot of drops around E3 in may, but now that E3 is gone who knows...) or for the holidays.

That will probably be determined by when Sony drops price on the PS3. I'm guessing that spring is more likely as the piles of PS3s sitting in stores for days can't continue much longer of Sony wants to get back in the hardware race.
Old 01-25-07, 11:58 AM
mbs

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Right now isn't the best time to buy probably though. The 360s with the new CPU (which hopefully won't have the same rate of over heating problems) is supposedly shipping soon.
According to what reliable source? MS keeps claiming any revisions are only "research projects".

You could end up waiting forever, nothing has been announced by any source. There is always a gamble with technology, because the next model could be just around the corner. If one is going to wait a year for a cooler CPU, why not wait another couple years and just get the 720...

Until a release date is announced or a quarter is targeted (or at the very least an indication from MS that there will even be a revision at all), buying a 360 now is not bad timing.

And I agree with everyone else, of course... the Premium is a no-brainer. And get the 2-year extended warranty from MS, which will give you unlimited replacements for 3 years total.
Old 01-25-07, 12:02 PM
Retired

True.

I'd wait more for the price drop than the new CPU myself. If one's waited a year, another 6 months or so can't hurt. Unless $100 isn't a big deal etc.
Old 01-25-07, 12:06 PM

The thread title says it all.

I'm trying to decide which one to get:

Xbox 360 Core System ($299.99) or the Xbox 360 Console with the 20GB hd ($399.99).

Or am I just penny-pinching too much? Should I just go with the Xbox 360 Console with the 20GB hd - is that a better long-term purchase?

I'm also thinking about adding the Xbox 360 HD DVD Player in the near future if everything works out well.

Here's my television: Sony KDF-50WE655 - any issues with my tv?

Games: I'm looking to get a few games off the bat - Gears of War, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas, and Call Of Duty 3. I'm also digging NCAA March Madness 07, College Hoops 2K7, and Lost Planet: Extreme Condition.

Thanks for your help - I appreciate it
The Xbox360 only has 3 USB ports, so if you eventually shoot for 4 controllers, you'd have 3 wired and 1 wireless at best. Having set that doesn't match like that would drive me nuts.
Old 01-25-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
Even if you're not playing games online, are you interested in online content like demos, Live Arcade, game trailers, etc.? Because those are all free through the Silver plan even if you don't want to pay for the premium Gold (online gaming) portion of Live. And without the HD you wouldn't be able to download/store any of that stuff.

Also, you can't play any backward compatible original Xbox games without the HD.
can someone outline the differences between the gold and silver online plans?
Old 01-25-07, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Originally Posted by timewaster
can someone outline the differences between the gold and silver online plans?

Not an outline but a good place to see the differences right off the bat.

I guess the main thing is:

Gold = You pay and you can play online multiplayer
Silver = Free but no online multiplayer

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/memberships/default.htm
Old 01-25-07, 01:19 PM

actually, if you don't mind using a different profile every month, you can get a free month of GOLD when you sign up. After that month, just create a new profile, and BLOW, another free month
Old 01-25-07, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You could always buy a used one from Ebgames or Gamestop. I believe they are $279. There is a catch though. You get a premium Xbox 360 with a wireless controller and the HD cables, but they take out the hard drive. I asked once and the guy said because its an "Add-on". Anyway, you save $130 and all you need extra is the hard drive.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.