Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : I'm thinking about buying an Xbox 360

kmac2878
01-25-07, 09:35 AM
The thread title says it all.

I'm trying to decide which one to get:

Xbox 360 Core System ($299.99) or the Xbox 360 Console with the 20GB hd ($399.99).

I'm debating the extra $100. I'm not concerned about playing games online right now. I also don't mind having controllers with wires. Do I really need the 20 GB hard drive if I'm not playing online? Would the Core System allow me to play games in 1080i HD when I purchase the Xbox 360 Component HD AV cable ($40)?

Or am I just penny-pinching too much? Should I just go with the Xbox 360 Console with the 20GB hd - is that a better long-term purchase?

I'm also thinking about adding the Xbox 360 HD DVD Player in the near future if everything works out well.

Here's my television: Sony KDF-50WE655 (http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KDF_50WE655/4507-6484_7-30787621.html) - any issues with my tv?

Games: I'm looking to get a few games off the bat - Gears of War, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas, and Call Of Duty 3. I'm also digging NCAA March Madness 07, College Hoops 2K7, and Lost Planet: Extreme Condition.

Thanks for your help - I appreciate it :up:

KurrptSenate
01-25-07, 09:35 AM
do NOT buy a 360 unless you get a the premium package.

seriously, don't do it

CaptStormy
01-25-07, 09:40 AM
Agreed...Lot of games utilize the Hard drive whether you realize it or not.

kakihara1
01-25-07, 09:41 AM
Yeah even if you're not planning on online gaming right away buying the premium 360 is still worth it. Planning on saving any of your progress in the games you've mentioned? I assume you would want that ability, plan on buying the memory unit along with the Component cables and you're looking at spending something like $60 right out of the gate on the core system. The premium not only ensures that you will have plenty of space for game saves but it also comes with the component cables wireless controller, headset etc. The only reason I could think of for buying a core system was that was all you could find at launch, now that there are plenty of 360s kicking around there is no real reason for anyone to buy a core system.

Chrisedge
01-25-07, 09:41 AM
You get the $40 HD cables, the Wireless controler ($20 premium?), and the Hard Drive ($99) all for $100.

BUY THE $399 ONE.

KurrptSenate
01-25-07, 09:42 AM
i know the day or 2 right after christmas, my brother in-law called me at work, asking "how do you save a game on the 360"

I assumed he meant he got the core, so i asked him "didn't you get one with the harddrive?!?"

I learned that he just wanted to save 100 bucks, but he didn't realize how much he actually lost out on. Its to your advantage to pay the 100 up front. Otherwise, you'd be paying about 250 through the back-door

Wildo1966
01-25-07, 09:44 AM
IMO don't skimp on the system, pay the extra and get the more powerful version. Right now it appears the XBox is the way to go for gaming.

Matt
01-25-07, 09:49 AM
I'm debating the extra $100. I'm not concerned about playing games online right now. I also don't mind having controllers with wires. Do I really need the 20 GB hard drive if I'm not playing online? Would the Core System allow me to play games in 1080i HD when I purchase the Xbox 360 Component HD AV cable ($40)?

For sixty bucks more, you'd get the hard drive and the wireless controller--which sell for $150 separately.

I wonder how many Core system buyers go back and buy the other stuff, separately. I bet a lot of them do.

pinata242
01-25-07, 09:52 AM
Does an Xbox cry when it is put in a core retail box?

josuff247
01-25-07, 10:01 AM
Use one of the 10% overstock or $40off Circuit City coupons floating around and get is for $360.

DRG
01-25-07, 10:20 AM
I'm not concerned about playing games online right now. Do I really need the 20 GB hard drive if I'm not playing online?

Even if you're not playing games online, are you interested in online content like demos, Live Arcade, game trailers, etc.? Because those are all free through the Silver plan even if you don't want to pay for the premium Gold (online gaming) portion of Live. And without the HD you wouldn't be able to download/store any of that stuff.

Also, you can't play any backward compatible original Xbox games without the HD.

DJ_Longfellow
01-25-07, 10:28 AM
Yes, get the PREMIUM. Or, you have to buy a Memory Card, Component Cables and a Wireless controller as wired is no fun anymore ;)

Nuff
01-25-07, 10:57 AM
...I'm not concerned about playing games online right now. I also don't mind having controllers with wires. ...

I made the exact same two statements as you...and now I find myself wanting to upgrade to a gold xbl to play online and of the two controllers I have (one wired one wireless) the wired one has never been used.

I concur with everyone else, go premium.

lotsofdvds
01-25-07, 10:58 AM
Premium, and use the $40 off $200 Circuit City coupon to make you feel a little better.

maxfisher
01-25-07, 11:03 AM
As everyone else has already stated, fork out the extra $100 for the premium. You'll have to buy a memory card or hard drive anyway, along with the component cables. It's cheaper and easier just to get it all in the same package.

Also, I had absolutely no interest in live when I bought mine, but it quickly changed my mind. I still don't really get into the whole playing-competitively-against-a-bunch-of-strangers style of live play, but online co-op absolutely kicks ass if a game does it well and you have a buddy to play with. On top of this, being able to purchase Live Arcade titles and download free demos of games both make the hard drive well worth the extra money.

Michael Corvin
01-25-07, 11:09 AM
Memory Unit(64MB) - $30
Component Cables - $40
---------------------
total with Core - $370
Premium(13GB) - $400

No contest. Like everyone else said the premium also gives you the ability to play BackCompat games, download Live Arcade Games, demos, etc. You get a headset, and the wireless pad. But it really boils down to if you want a cool looking chrome drive bay, because that's all that really matters.

TimeandTide
01-25-07, 11:37 AM
As everyone else said, get the PREMIUM. Well worth the extra $100.

As for the games you mentioned, I'd advise picking up GoW, R6: Vegas and COD 2 (not 3).

There are a couple of threads in the forum where posters list their top 5 games. I used those lists to start builing my library.

Josh H
01-25-07, 11:47 AM
Definitely get the premium. The Core is called the tard pack for a reason.

Right now isn't the best time to buy probably though. The 360s with the new CPU (which hopefully won't have the same rate of over heating problems) is supposedly shipping soon.

And I'd be amazed if there wasn't a $100 price drop sometime this year. The only question is whether is is in May (used to be a lot of drops around E3 in may, but now that E3 is gone who knows...) or for the holidays.

That will probably be determined by when Sony drops price on the PS3. I'm guessing that spring is more likely as the piles of PS3s sitting in stores for days can't continue much longer of Sony wants to get back in the hardware race.

mbs
01-25-07, 11:58 AM
Right now isn't the best time to buy probably though. The 360s with the new CPU (which hopefully won't have the same rate of over heating problems) is supposedly shipping soon.

According to what reliable source? MS keeps claiming any revisions are only "research projects".

You could end up waiting forever, nothing has been announced by any source. There is always a gamble with technology, because the next model could be just around the corner. If one is going to wait a year for a cooler CPU, why not wait another couple years and just get the 720...

Until a release date is announced or a quarter is targeted (or at the very least an indication from MS that there will even be a revision at all), buying a 360 now is not bad timing.

And I agree with everyone else, of course... the Premium is a no-brainer. And get the 2-year extended warranty from MS, which will give you unlimited replacements for 3 years total.

Josh H
01-25-07, 12:02 PM
True.

I'd wait more for the price drop than the new CPU myself. If one's waited a year, another 6 months or so can't hurt. Unless $100 isn't a big deal etc.

vinhj
01-25-07, 12:06 PM
The thread title says it all.

I'm trying to decide which one to get:

Xbox 360 Core System ($299.99) or the Xbox 360 Console with the 20GB hd ($399.99).

Or am I just penny-pinching too much? Should I just go with the Xbox 360 Console with the 20GB hd - is that a better long-term purchase?

I'm also thinking about adding the Xbox 360 HD DVD Player in the near future if everything works out well.

Here's my television: Sony KDF-50WE655 (http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KDF_50WE655/4507-6484_7-30787621.html) - any issues with my tv?

Games: I'm looking to get a few games off the bat - Gears of War, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas, and Call Of Duty 3. I'm also digging NCAA March Madness 07, College Hoops 2K7, and Lost Planet: Extreme Condition.

Thanks for your help - I appreciate it :up:

The Xbox360 only has 3 USB ports, so if you eventually shoot for 4 controllers, you'd have 3 wired and 1 wireless at best. Having set that doesn't match like that would drive me nuts.

timewaster
01-25-07, 12:22 PM
Even if you're not playing games online, are you interested in online content like demos, Live Arcade, game trailers, etc.? Because those are all free through the Silver plan even if you don't want to pay for the premium Gold (online gaming) portion of Live. And without the HD you wouldn't be able to download/store any of that stuff.

Also, you can't play any backward compatible original Xbox games without the HD.

can someone outline the differences between the gold and silver online plans?

Giantrobo
01-25-07, 12:59 PM
can someone outline the differences between the gold and silver online plans?

Not an outline but a good place to see the differences right off the bat.

I guess the main thing is:

Gold = You pay and you can play online multiplayer
Silver = Free but no online multiplayer

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/memberships/default.htm

KurrptSenate
01-25-07, 01:19 PM
actually, if you don't mind using a different profile every month, you can get a free month of GOLD when you sign up. After that month, just create a new profile, and BLOW, another free month

Absolute Zero
01-25-07, 02:42 PM
You could always buy a used one from Ebgames or Gamestop. I believe they are $279. There is a catch though. You get a premium Xbox 360 with a wireless controller and the HD cables, but they take out the hard drive. I asked once and the guy said because its an "Add-on". Anyway, you save $130 and all you need extra is the hard drive.

Save Ferris
01-25-07, 03:03 PM
actually, if you don't mind using a different profile every month, you can get a free month of GOLD when you sign up. After that month, just create a new profile, and BLOW, another free month

Are you stretched so thin you cant save up $50 over the course of a year?

pinata242
01-25-07, 03:06 PM
Are you stretched so thin you cant save up $50 over the course of a year?
Man, right now you can get 13 months for 40.55 (after GCO) from Buy.com (http://www.buy.com/prod/Xbox_360_Live_12_Month_Subscription_Card_FREE_1_Month_Bonus/q/loc/108/201975268.html). That's only $3.12/month!

Free is free and all, but for what costs less than a shitty value meal at McDonald's, I don't see how you can argue with the convenience of not having to constantly recreate your account and re-hook-up with your friends.

Save Ferris
01-25-07, 03:10 PM
Man, right now you can get 13 months for 40.55 (after GCO) from Buy.com (http://www.buy.com/prod/Xbox_360_Live_12_Month_Subscription_Card_FREE_1_Month_Bonus/q/loc/108/201975268.html). That's only $3.12/month!

Free is free and all, but for what costs less than a value meal at McDonald's, I don't see how you can argue with the convenience of not having to constantly recreate your account and re-hook-up with your friends.

I agree its totally worth it. But some people get a thrill shoplifting a pack of gum at walmart, its just for the feeling of pulling one over on 'the man'. ;)

KurrptSenate
01-25-07, 03:19 PM
nah, its not like that for me at all

example : I wanted my brother to try out Gears of War forever. After I insisted that he sit down and try it, he didn't want to leave my house for 6+ hours (from playing online). After getting acquainted with the game for a good deal of time, he wanted to jump online with me, on the same 360. Nope, its gay. It won't allow you to have a guest go online, nor would it allow you use a pre-existing profile, if it wasn't signed up for LIVE

So, my girl had the brilliant idea, saying "Just use one of those free, 48 hour cards you'll never use!"

After getting it all setup, in order to put in one of those codes, you have to be signed up for LIVE. So, I made it a silver membership, and it sent me the message asking if I wanted a free month of LIVE service.

DAMN RIGHT I DO :D

msdmoney
01-25-07, 03:21 PM
Get the premium 360 like everyone else said.

But also, since it sounds like money is short, why are you going to buy all the latest games that are still $60. If you are going to penny pinch, use it to your advantage that so many games have already dropped in price. Pick up Call of Duty 2 instead of 3, Kameo, Burnout Revenge, Condemned, Gun. These are all great games, and since you aren't playing online you won't miss out on the big community that is there right after a game comes out. Most of these can be had for around $20 easily, look around on cheapassgamer.

mbs
01-25-07, 03:30 PM
One other thing to point out is that you can typically get a deal like a free game... so I'd wait for that. I know Wal-Mart is offering Burnout (great game) or COD-2 free with a Premium system.

Just something to look out for... don't pay $399 for the Premium without getting a free additional controller or a free game.

K&AJones
01-25-07, 07:01 PM
Get the Premo system for a fact, no ifs or buts about it. Based on your game selection you'll fit in very well here. You cannot go wrong with GOW as your first choice. Besides great single play the co-op rules and you'll find plenty of battlemates here to play with. I just got RS:LV so I can't comment much but this game has a great following and coop on it is suppose to be a blast. Good luck

Kenny J - Buzz Starhopper

J-Dubya
01-25-07, 07:34 PM
if someone is sweating the $100 extra, you shouldnt be buying any video game system

Ralph Wiggum
01-25-07, 08:39 PM
If you buy a premium now, you can probably spend a couple of weeks just going through free Marketplace demos before you need to purchase a single game. Even if you don't ever want to play online, the hard drive is worth it for that alone.

kmac2878
01-25-07, 08:44 PM
Okay gang - here's the pull:

System:

Xbox 360 Premium System (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/compare101.htm)

Accessories:

Wireless remote (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360wirelesscontroller/default.htm)

Games:

Call of Duty 2 (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/667/667388p1.html)
Gears of War (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/744/744356p1.html)
The Godfather: The Game (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/732/732983p1.html)
Hitman: Blood Money (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/710/710650p1.html)
Perfect Dark Zero (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/670/670730p1.html)
Rainbow Six: Vegas (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/745/745678p1.html)
Saints Row (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/728/728829p1.html)

Not bad for a little over $700.

Everyone: Thanks for all the comments and suggestions :up:

I wasn't really penny-pinching...I received a nice 4-digit bonus check from work this past Christmas. Buying all this stuff didn't really put a dent in the bonus check. I was just curious if I was missing anything, you know, something obvious I didn't think about. I really haven't bought myself anything since my television (http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KDF_50WE655/4507-6484_7-30787621.html) 20 months ago (well, except for dvds, which is why I'm here in the first place).

I'm certainly looking forward to playing the co-op games with my brother. Even the wife was all jazzed up about the "shooter" games. She can't wait to play them!

I'm contemplating adding the Xbox 360 HD DVD Player (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360hddvdplayer/) to the stable in the near future.

Again, thanks for all the constructive criticism, helpful suggestions, and witty comments.

And of course, we all know it's about the cool looking chrome drive bay :D2:

kakihara1
01-25-07, 10:20 PM
Oh no.........not PDZ :(

Chris_D
01-26-07, 12:35 AM
Some people liked it.

DamingR
01-26-07, 06:17 AM
Some people like scatology.

LivingINClip
01-26-07, 07:06 AM
Not Perfect Dark Zero , prepare for dissapointment city....Yes, that is what it should of been named...

Perfect Dark DIssapointment.

PDP!

KurrptSenate
01-26-07, 07:27 AM
eh, for 20 bucks, I think its a hell of a lot better than crappy Kameo

tbird2340
01-26-07, 07:41 AM

PDZ is the worst game to this date that I have played on the 360...

Kameo, on the other hand, is prolly in my top 5. VERY fun game!

KurrptSenate
01-26-07, 07:42 AM
see, thats the thing about opinions :lol:

Michael Corvin
01-26-07, 07:46 AM

-screwy-

kmac2878
01-27-07, 03:58 PM
Well, all I have to say so far is...

...SWEET!

:up:

Michael Corvin
01-27-07, 04:20 PM
Well clue us in. What is sweet?

DVD Mike2
01-27-07, 04:44 PM
A coworker mentioned that MS will be upgrading the premium Xbox 360 with a larger hard drive and a HDMI output. Any truth to this?

Anubis2005X
01-27-07, 04:51 PM
I want a 360, but it's also been out for more than a year. Give us the inevitable price drop already!

Anubis2005X
01-27-07, 04:52 PM
A coworker mentioned that MS will be upgrading the premium Xbox 360 with a larger hard drive and a HDMI output. Any truth to this?

I think there's definitely some truth to it. The question is when. Next couple of months or the end of the year? Nobody really knows except for Microsoft...

taffer
01-27-07, 05:02 PM

The Zephyr (http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/05/the-second-xbox-360-revealed-codename-zephyr/)

It is really nothing more than a rumor right now since MS has not officially said anything about it.

My guess is that they will release this "upgraded" 360 instead of having a price drop. You would get more stuff for the same amount of money, so it would kind of seem like having a price drop.

sracer
01-27-07, 06:49 PM
The Zephyr (http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/05/the-second-xbox-360-revealed-codename-zephyr/)

It is really nothing more than a rumor right now since MS has not officially said anything about it.

My guess is that they will release this "upgraded" 360 instead of having a price drop. You would get more stuff for the same amount of money, so it would kind of seem like having a price drop.
I agree... except if Sony drops the price on the PS3.

kmac2878
01-27-07, 10:10 PM
Well clue us in. What is sweet?

...so far, I've played CoD2, R6 Vegas, and GoW - the HD games are some snazzy shit :up:

MovieExchange
01-28-07, 07:30 PM
I'm thinking of getting a 360 also. I noticed that Best Buy has a deal this week where you get Madden 07 free (not that I care, I'm just going to trade it in as I hate sports games). However the box also says that it includes $90 in coupons. Does anyone know what the coupons are?

msdmoney
01-29-07, 12:16 AM

I loved Kameo, very underrated IMO. They are obviously very different games, but I guess they can be compared since they are both from Rare. I'm surprised PDZ got anywhere near the scores it received, I am forcing myself to keep going.

I would drop PDZ from you list, there are much better cheap FPS's since it looks like that is your main genre. I would suggest Condemned in place of PDZ, both launch games, both cheap now, but Condemned is by far the better game.

CKMorpheus
01-29-07, 01:32 AM
I'm thinking of getting a 360 also. I noticed that Best Buy has a deal this week where you get Madden 07 free (not that I care, I'm just going to trade it in as I hate sports games). However the box also says that it includes $90 in coupons. Does anyone know what the coupons are?

A majority of the coupons are sports game coupons. Also 5 bucks off a few Nyko accessories, and 5 bucks off wireless headsets.

CKMorpheus
01-29-07, 01:36 AM
I just got a 360 the other day after being a PC gamer for nearly a decade. I still am a PC gamer at heart and will never buy a console game that I can get for my PC, but games like Dead Rising, Gears of War, and Burnout just make it worth it for me. Not to mention the HD-DVD drive that I plan to get for the upcoming Nine Inch Nails "Beside You In Time" HD-DVD.

Michael Corvin
01-29-07, 08:03 AM
I would drop PDZ from you list, there are much better cheap FPS's since it looks like that is your main genre. I would suggest Condemned in place of PDZ, both launch games, both cheap now, but Condemned is by far the better game.

:up: I couldn't agree more. Still one of the best games on the system. Although, it is not a FPS.

xmiyux
01-29-07, 08:21 AM
A majority of the coupons are sports game coupons. Also 5 bucks off a few Nyko accessories, and 5 bucks off wireless headsets.

Not really referencing you in particular CK, but this reminded me. Do not get suckered into buying that Nyko cooling fan thing that hooks to the back of the unit. Many reports of it killing 360s and scorching the case to the point Msoft won't replace it under warranty. Just a little FYI.

msdmoney
01-29-07, 10:54 AM
:up: I couldn't agree more. Still one of the best games on the system. Although, it is not a FPS.

Yeah your right, it is in first person, but I never used the guns, and just used the hand weapons, much more fun.

CKMorpheus
01-29-07, 01:39 PM
Not really referencing you in particular CK, but this reminded me. Do not get suckered into buying that Nyko cooling fan thing that hooks to the back of the unit. Many reports of it killing 360s and scorching the case to the point Msoft won't replace it under warranty. Just a little FYI.

I will never buy those cooling fans, but I had not heard that they will fry your system. Good to know when customers come to buy them.

xmiyux
01-29-07, 02:06 PM
I will never buy those cooling fans, but I had not heard that they will fry your system. Good to know when customers come to buy them.

There was a link to a forum where people posted pictures in threads discussing the exact problem - i don't remember any of the details other than the scorched back of a case and Msoft not honoring the warranty in those cases due to claiming (and perhaps rightfully so) a third party addon did the damage. I do think in some of those cases Nyko was paying to have the units repaired so there may be some truth to the claim.