Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Does USPS have any type of tracking service for international packages?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 01-25-07, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to return an item I bought to a store in Hong Kong and I was wondering if USPS or any other type of delivery company, has any type of special service which I can pay to get a tracking number or delivery confirmation number.

I'm totally confused with the USPS website between Global Priority Mail, Airmail Letter, Airmail Parcel options and between Registered, Recorded Delivery and Return Receipt options.

Anyone who has any experience mailing international packages, what's the best option that I have?
Old 01-25-07, 12:21 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
I think recorded delivery is available in certain countries. Not others. And is cheaper than other options. Express mail is trackable. Insured is only available at parcel rate and not letter rate. I believe. Insurance isnt even that good for international packages as its a massive headace to get the country you mailed it to to do a search before a claim is processed. Check usps.com for all the details as they have this stuff detailed out.
Ups is actually much better but your customer will have to pay a terrible amount in customs fees and brokers fees if applicable. Check DHL.com too as they have a large international presence.

Last edited by g; 01-25-07 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-25-07, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cross
I need to return an item I bought to a store in Hong Kong and I was wondering if USPS or any other type of delivery company, has any type of special service which I can pay to get a tracking number or delivery confirmation number.

I'm totally confused with the USPS website between Global Priority Mail, Airmail Letter, Airmail Parcel options and between Registered, Recorded Delivery and Return Receipt options.

Anyone who has any experience mailing international packages, what's the best option that I have?
From what I understand, you stop being able to track any USPS package after it leaves the US, when I called the USPS 800 number they informed me the destination country will track "some" packages but results vary.

Definitely check out FedEx and UPS, they have the largest presence in China (and hopefully reasonable rates). Be sure to ask about any brokerage fees or any other "taxes" that may be collected.