Search this Thread

Old 01-24-07, 09:56 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Friday Night Lights - "Little Girl, I Wanna Marry You" - 1/24/07

"Little Girl, I Wanna Marry You"
Spoiler:
One game away from the playoffs, the Panthers work hard to get their minds back into game mode; Smash's mom discovers something that could destroy his football dreams.

TVguide is saying as long as the numbers remain steady chances are good this will make it to a second season. The NBC president is a big fan and wants to keep it.
Old 01-24-07, 10:33 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Glad to hear it...watch people, watch (and tell your friends)
Old 01-24-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
I'd like to see how mush roster turnover they'd have from one season to the next. Street, Riggs, and Smash are all seniors so I would guess Lyla and Tyra are as well. They couldn't possible get rid of Lyla. I only think Saracen is a Junior although he might be a Sophomore, I'm not sure.
Old 01-24-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
i think saracen is a sophomore.

I assume they'd keep track of street and Lyla in the next season. Probably riggins. those 3 seem like they would stick around the town. street for obvious reasons, riggins because he won't make anything of himself, and i can see lyla giving up her dreams/future to stay with street.

but smash and tyra? honestly, they're not that central to the show, and i wouldn't care if they graduated and left town.
Old 01-24-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I'm under the impression that Smash is a Junior.
Old 01-24-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Smash is a Junior.
Old 01-24-07, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Ugh, he's the only one I want gone.
Old 01-24-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is going to get slammed in the ratings tonight.

There is a great article in this week's Entertainment Weekly:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20009299,00.html

Begs the question: What is NBC doing to save this show? Is it doing enough? They did move it to a different timeslot, I'll give them that much. At least they weren't trigger happy and dump it... but are they doing enough?
Is filming this show in Texas instead of Hollywood, hurting it?
NBC goes full throttle plugging, promoting Heroes.. but doesn't seem to put any real promoting money behind their struggling shows. At this point, does Heroes need any more PR?

I know I've been doing my part! I posted about the Bravo marathon (okay.. so maybe NBC should get some credit for doing this. )

We need to find some Nielson Families, they're the ones that need a real talkin too!

It's going to be a damn shame if it doesn't make it.

Last edited by Septemberbaby; 01-24-07 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-24-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk God

I thought there was one obvious place for NBC to move it - Sunday at 8 pm to replace their NFL fall coverage. Monday at 8 wouldn't be a bad place either.
Old 01-24-07, 08:08 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
"He'd dump me and chase after Tyra"

"No he wouldnt"

"Yes he would, he told me"

Liked the opening with him using the destiny comment
Old 01-24-07, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Buddy took one look at Tyra's mom's rack, and that sealed the deal for a new position. Nice use of the flat tire repair as a metaphor for Tyra's mom's over-reliance on men.

Coach and his wife crack me up when they fight.

Matt's dad goes back to the war, felt bad for Matt, but it was probably for the best.

Coach is flirting with disaster covering up Smash's steroid use.

Jason decides to push the envelope and raise Buddy's blood pressure by 40 points with his proposal to Lyla. Can't blame the guy for wanting to hang on to her.
Old 01-24-07, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk God

I like how they played the steroids angle. Now Coach is putting his ass on the line.

Buddy's change of heart after seeing Tyra's mom's cleavage.
Old 01-24-07, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
This is going to get slammed in the ratings tonight.
There is a great article in this week's Entertainment Weekly:
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20009299,00.html
Just read that the other day. It looks like they really want to give it a shot next season and hope the DVD sales help it out. Yes!!

Another great episode.
-Coach Taylor
-Momma Smash
-Street for standing up to Buddy
-Buddy for bonin' on Tyra's mom...
and...
-Julie didn't get a lot of time this week, but I am starting to Julie > Lyla.

that whole proposal thing, though...gimme a break.
Old 01-24-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,210 Likes on 2,071 Posts
There might have been a little suspense in the final Street/Lyla conversation if the title of this episode wasn't "Little Girl, I Wanna Marry You"!

I'm trying to think how the whole "smash" affair could blow up in his and Coach's faces. I think Smash's sister is the only one who knows so perhaps she'll spill the beans. Or maybe Smash's dealer when he finds out he lost a customer.
Old 01-24-07, 11:24 PM

Coach and his wife crack me up when they fight.
It's a part of the show I really look forward too. Great stuff.
Old 01-25-07, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk God

The fight over the radio in the car was funny, and then coach using the psychologist's advice for his team was even funnier.
Old 01-25-07, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think the real reason why the Mayor asked Mrs. Coach to be on her 'team' is because she's hoping for some girl on girl on girl action! Too funny!

I'm still befuddled about Matt's father chosing Iraq over home. I still say he could have requested he be stateside and give his son a chance to be a normal 16 yr old.
I think Matt is going to get a visit from a Army Official with devastating news.

Don't ever mess with Mama Williams.

Street and Lyla getting engaged was a bit much.
Old 01-25-07, 08:51 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
There is 1 deleted scene from last night's episode: http://www.nbc.com/Friday_Night_Lights/
Old 01-25-07, 09:31 AM

I think Matt is going to get a visit from a Army Official with devastating news.
Hmm... Shall we say, right before the state championship? (...if they get that far.)
Old 01-25-07, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
another solid episode. I was getting annoyed with the Smash steroids storyline (maybe just annoyed with Smash and his 3rd-person speaking), but it has all been worth it because it led up to that scene in coach's office. that was just really, really well done. all 3 actors (mama smash, coach, smash) were perfect.

the hug between matt, julie, and grandma after saracen's dad left was a very touching scene. i replayed it just to watch the way it was done. julie is standing back at first looking sheepish, then she's accepted into the hug. i'm really impressed with a lot of the young actors on this show. saracen, julie, landry (he always cracks me up), and even riggins.

the football scenes are still killing me, although they are getting better. but geez. 3rd and 1, and you run sideways in slow-motion, riggins?

this show is still bringing the humor as well as the drama. the fight over the radio, then coach using the same thing in his speech to the players. i love any time mr. and mrs. coach banter. they are great.

i find it hard to believe that no one would know that the mayor is a lesbian. she certainly wasn't trying to hide it.

the street storyline goes from good (even somewhat riveting) to painfully boring. his meeting with buddy was great. the proposal, kind of lame.
Old 01-25-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I case anyone failed to read the great EW article mentioned...I will paraphrase a part...

unlike traditional filming, the actors have no "marks" to find. they just need to worry about what they're saying and how they're saying it. the camera finds them. this is probably the major reason why we were all about sick with the camera work at first...it's hard to stay steady when you have those tight closeups and no marks...

it's probably very similar to a dude just having a handheld camera and shooting as a photojournalist out in the field. I like it. Yay, Peter Berg!
Old 01-25-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The actress that plays Tyra was on some Tv Guide Channel show a few months ago and she mentioned the no mark thing and very little rehearsals.. she also mentioned that they are allowed to ad-lib a lot. I think this is why there are so many deleted scenes. NBC.com isn't offering as many as they used to.. probably saving them for the DVD. Anyway.. he has an interesting approach and I think this is why this show is so good.
Old 01-25-07, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
They usually have 3 cameras rolling during the scenes and cut to whatever angle gives the director the shot they need. It's a very unconventional way to shoot a show, but it gives it more of an organic, less staged, feel to how the show comes across on the screen.