Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

'Grey's Anatomy' firing Washington?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-07, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Grey's Anatomy' firing Washington?

eonline.com's Kristin posted an article about how ABC is seriously considering firing Washington effective immediately without a farewell (they would have a place-card at the beginning of the first episode without him)...

This seems weird to me that they aren't even going to wrap-up his character...
Old 01-22-07, 08:48 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me with the heat he's catching, but she's not the best of sources.
Old 01-22-07, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't blame them. He seems out of control at times and I sure wouldn't want to work with that guy.

Considering he had a dust-up with the male lead of one of the most popular tv shows on and also supposedly called another cast member a f*ggot, I'm surprised they haven't done it already.

His behavior at the globes made me believe that he, indeed, said what he's accused of saying.
Old 01-22-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oh well. this whole thing spun out of control and he should have just came clean with what he did, apologized and stopped talking about it. but of course it couldn't have been that easy.
Old 01-22-07, 09:14 PM

If they do fire him, I hope they have it in the show and not just some random reference that he moved to the Lost island or something.
Old 01-22-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
No loss.

1. They still have one black guy
2. It's not like he was one of the "hunks" pushed to keep young white girls watching
3. If someone had called him *********** chances are he'd be demanding similar actions against the person who said it.
4. His character was getting on my nerves anyway with his arrogance and anal ( no pun) behavior.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-23-07 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-23-07, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would be pretty easy to get rid of the character, he doesn't serve much useful purpose to the show anymore anyway.
Old 01-23-07, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I don't even watch the show, but this guy's career should end immediately. Let's recap:

1) Call your fellow cast member a "f****t"
2) When another cast member tells you not to use that word, choke him
3) Outright lie to the press about whether you said that even though every cast member heard you and publicly calls you a liar.

The guy is a piece of shit and should be fired unceremoniously.
Old 01-23-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't watch the show. But to said what he's said then blatantly lie about it is just idioteque. I can totally see the other cast members black balling him.
Old 01-23-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I can totally see the other cast members black balling him.
what does his skin color have to do with it?
Old 01-23-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Isn't it a tad ironic that the guy accused of being prejudiced is a black man named Washington?
Old 01-23-07, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by starseed1981
I can totally see the other cast members black balling him.
The Chief is the only one who could do that. Tea bagging is a different issue.
Old 01-23-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Heh, this is a hoot:
Linky - http://www.hecklerspray.com/isaiah-w...e/20076651.php
Isaiah Washington Shows The Love (No, Not That Sort Of Love)
January 23rd, 2007 at 14:30 by Stuart Heritage

Some are saying it's political correctness gone mad; Isaiah Washington hurling an abusive gay slur at a Grey's Anatomy cast member and then being forced to apologise for it - cuh, they'll be telling us we're not even allowed to shoot immigrants soon.

Having said that, when Isaiah Washington told the world that he was sorry for calling Grey's Anatomy co-star TR Knight a "faggot" in the middle of the epic Grey's Anatomy cast battle royale, he really meant it. Isaiah Washington seems determined to change his ways for good and has met with leaders of the gay community to try and come to terms with the wound in his soul that breeds such negativity and intolerance. Either that or he did it so he'd be allowed to keep playing that stupid jazz-loving doctor on that rubbish TV show of his. Either one's fine.

Grey's Anatomy is a TV phenomenon. It's watched by more people than actually live on this planet and it keeps winning award after award after award, but that's not because anybody is interested about a bunch of idiot doctors bumbling around a useless hospital - it's because people want to see Grey's Anatomy star Isaiah Washington stray from the script, grab the nearest person to him by the throat and roar "You faggot! I'll kill you, you faggot!" at the sky like a wild-eyed priest in a thunderstorm.

Isaiah Washington can't do right for doing wrong at the moment. First Isaiah Washington instigated the great Grey's Anatomy actor fight, and then was forced to apologise for it. Then it transpired that in the midst of the fight Isaiah Washington had called co-star TR Knight a "faggot" - leading to TR Knight begrudgingly admitting his gayness to all and sundry. Then Isaiah Washington denied making the gay slur in the first place, leading to TR Knight and Katherine Heigl staging a multi-point 'Isaiah Washington Is A Gay Hating Bastard And We Want Him Sacked' campaign across the media.

But now everything seems to be evening itself out. Isaiah Washington has apologised for being such a gay-hater in a suspiciously Gibsonesque way and it looks like it's done the trick, with gay leaders praising Isaiah Washington on both the sincerity of his apology and the general buffness of his upper arms. USA Today reports:

"The actor met with executives from GLAAD and the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN) to discuss options. "He was not interested in explaining away what he did," says Kevin Jennings, executive director at GLSEN, who was "encouraged" by Washington's sincerity. "He is in it for the long haul, and not in it for the quick fix." … Although Washington has publicly apologized and ABC has reprimanded him, the star's future is being questioned. A petition calling for him to be fired is growing, with more than 17,000 signatures collected. A petition to keep Washington in his job has popped up, too."

So, despite the apology and the meeting with gay leaders, Isaiah Washington isn't quite out of the woods yet - and that won't be helped by the upcoming episode of Grey's Anatomy where Isaiah Washington's character Dr Preston Xavier Burke punches a Jew in the mouth for making up the Holocaust, sets fire to an Arab's trousers, shits the words 'I hate gays, me' on the American flag and then rapes a swan for 15 minutes.
Old 01-23-07, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'd be surprised if they really can him--I think they would have done so last week if they were going to... Anyway, Monday was his "make peace" meetings with the directors of GLAAD and GLSEN (gay rights orgs), so I think he's already "done his penance" as far as the suits are concerned. That said, I'd be pretty happy if they dumped his ass--he's probably helped ruin TRKnight's career already, forcing him out of the closet and making him seem wimpier than he already does.
Old 01-23-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

how humiliating. the guy't gotta feel like the biggest tool.
Old 01-23-07, 12:10 PM
Banned

I heard there was a petition to get him fired.

I know one of my best friends (female/straight) was talking to me about it when it first happened because she's a big GA fan. I told her if she was so upset about it, she should fire off a letter to ABC...and she did.

I'm all for kicking his ass off the show. He's got a history of treating his co-stars like shit.
Old 01-23-07, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by adamblast
he's probably helped ruin TRKnight's career already, forcing him out of the closet
Gay actors?!? You're kidding, you mean there are actors who are gay?? Whatever next?

C'mon, gimme a break. This probably helped his career.
Old 01-23-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
I'm surprised he's still on the show, taking into consideration how easy it is to get yourself fired from "Lost" for backstage drama.

The death toll there is four and counting. (Possibly five if what I've heard about HPjr's exit from the show is true.)
Old 01-23-07, 12:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Gay actors?!? You're kidding, you mean there are actors who are gay?? Whatever next?

I honestly didn't know who he was beforehand. Now, I still don't watch the show but think he's absolutely adorable. And, yes, this did get him a ton of publicity. I don't think people care enough about him (and I don't think he'll ever be a "leading man") so he'll probably have a great career playing whoever. Personally, I don't think it's going to hurt his career at all. There's definitely nothing flamboyant or obviously gay about him. He reminds me of me in a lot of ways.

I'm glad the producers aren't making him gay on the show though.

Last edited by digitalfreaknyc; 01-23-07 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-23-07, 12:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
No loss.

1. They still have one black guy
2. It's not like he was one of the "hunks" pushed to keep young white girls watching
3. If someone had called him *********** chances are he'd be demanding similar actions against he person who said it.
4. His character was getting on my nerves anyway with his arrogance and anal( no pun)behavior
I agree.
Old 01-23-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Being an openly gay actor in Hollywood is still a bad thing. The stigma is largely gone from the rest of Hollywood, as openly gay producers, directors, writers etc find little discrimination in thier daily work... But actors are still bought and sold based on what publicists can do with their image. It's changing, but slowly. There are few or no leading gay men or women, and every indication is that being "known gay" still pidgeon-holes you in casting. (For myself, that would be no excuse for living a life of lies and hiding.)

TR has lucked into a regular role on a hit show. In another 10 years, he'll probably be just another footnote or trivia question. This may end up being what he's most famous for--being called a faggot by another actor.

I'd compare him to a 2nd-string Tom Hulce--another gay actor without leading man looks--solid in his craft but not gorgeous, and neither particularly feminine nor masculine--who had trouble finding work in Hollywood.

Last edited by adamblast; 01-23-07 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-23-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'm surprised he's still on the show, taking into consideration how easy it is to get yourself fired from "Lost" for backstage drama.

The death toll there is four and counting. (Possibly five if what I've heard about HPjr's exit from the show is true.)
who's HPjr?
Old 01-23-07, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by squidget
who's HPjr?
Harold Perrineau, Jr., the guy who plays Walt's father, Michael.
Old 01-23-07, 01:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by adamblast
Being an openly gay actor in Hollywood is still a bad thing. The stigma is largely gone from the rest of Hollywood, as openly gay producers, directors, writers etc find little discrimination in thier daily work... But actors are still bought and sold based on what publicists can do with their image. It's changing, but slowly. There are few or no leading gay men or women, and every indication is that being "known gay" still pidgeon-holes you in casting. (For myself, that would be no excuse for living a life of lies and hiding.)

TR has lucked into a regular role on a hit show. In another 10 years, he'll probably be just another footnote or trivia question. This may end up being what he's most famous for--being called a faggot by another actor.

I'd compare him to a 2nd-string Tom Hulce--another gay actor without leading man looks--solid in his craft but not gorgeous, and neither particularly feminine nor masculine--who had trouble finding work in Hollywood.
But I would say that he probably wouldn't have been much without this happening either. It's not like he had a huge up-and-coming career and this suddenly put the brakes on it.
Old 01-23-07, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Spoiler:

I'm glad the producers are making him gay on the show though.
They are? I had not heard that.

Maybe that should be spoilered though?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.