Search this Thread

Old 01-22-07, 12:07 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - "Monday" - 1/22/07

"Monday"
Spoiler:
The staff comes back from the holiday break to prepare for the first show of the year; Danny is in full pursuit of Jordan; Matt bids in an online auction for a date with Harriet.
Old 01-22-07, 03:44 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
Aaron Sorkin:
in his own words
By Aaron Barnhart Kansas City Star in his blog “TV Barn” January 21, 2007

The co-creator of "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" invited TV critics onto his set last week, and held forth about the future of his show, criticism of "Studio 60's" less-than-scintillating sketch comedy pieces, and what he really thinks about bloggers and the L.A. Times.

You've read the transcripts, but there really is no substitute for Sorkin in his own entertaining voice.

You can hear it here, and it is a great listen:

http://blogs.kansascity.com/tvbarn/files/TVBP8.mp3

http://blogs.kansascity.com/tvbarn/
Old 01-22-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I knew it was due back tonight, but that doesn't keep me from firing out a:

Finally!!
Old 01-22-07, 05:53 PM

I'm glad the show is back, if only so I never have to see another one of those shitty promos NBC has been running for the last couple weeks.

I'll withhold judgment until I watch the show, but I don't like what I've been hearing -
Spoiler:
That the show is going focus less on the "shop talk" and more on the romantic story lines
Old 01-22-07, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It aired in Canada last night:

Spoiler:
Looks like Jordan has a stalker! Seriously though, we all knew that Danny was going after Jordan, but it seems kinda creepy since he won't take no for an answer. After the opening, it seemed like that was all that the show would deal with, but it was basically forgotten for the rest of the show, except towards the end.

Old 01-22-07, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally Posted by MadMark
I'll withhold judgment until I watch the show, but I don't like what I've been hearing -
Spoiler:
That the show is going focus less on the "shop talk" and more on the romantic story lines
Unfortunately, it was even more noticable as the eps progressed during the recent marathons on Bravo.....
Old 01-22-07, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought the episode was fun with all the different little subplots set up like dominoes for the next episode. Also, the dialogue was pretty crisp.
Old 01-22-07, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I enjoyed Jordan's little revelation as Matt was reading off another one of the 48 Powers.

Is Steven Weber the unheralded star of the show?
Old 01-22-07, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by B.A.
Is Steven Weber the unheralded star of the show?
He's clearly not the star, but he sure is one of my favorite parts of the show. I loved how Ed Asner's Wilson White let him "discover" the solution to the problem with a little special guidance.

It's too bad Sorkin didn't aim higher with his show -- a drama about the network does seem like it would be more compelling than one about the show.
Old 01-22-07, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Loved it.
Glad it's back.
Can't wait until next week.
Old 01-23-07, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy James
It's too bad Sorkin didn't aim higher with his show -- a drama about the network does seem like it would be more compelling than one about the show.
I like the balance of the show tonight. Some about the show, some about the channel runner, and some about the corporation that owns the channel.
Old 01-23-07, 01:58 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
I thought it was ok. Hope they continue to give Lucy Davis stuff to do.
Old 01-23-07, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MadMark
Spoiler:
Uh, It's actually getting a bit annoying. I'm not a fan of the "will they/won't they" style of romantic story telling either. That seems to be all they have too.

On another note Jordan's revelation was what exactly? That the new hire was a fan of the book? Funny side note, I was actually playing my Nintendo DS at the same time (not a good sign I guess) and missed this part.
Old 01-23-07, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
I like the balance of the show tonight. Some about the show, some about the channel runner, and some about the corporation that owns the channel.
Same here.
Old 01-23-07, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by madcougar
On another note Jordan's revelation was what exactly? That the new hire was a fan of the book?
Yes, which meant that the VP was manuevering her into all of that, up to and including the apology. She's a snake, and Jordan best watch out for her because she's pretty clearly out for her job.
Old 01-23-07, 08:28 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Fun episode last night...glad to have this show back.
Old 01-23-07, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by madcougar
Uh, It's actually getting a bit annoying. I'm not a fan of the "will they/won't they" style of romantic story telling either. That seems to be all they have too.
This isn't "will they/won't they". This is "will he strangle her/won't he bury her body under the Hollywood sign". That "no" at the end of the episode creeped me out.
Old 01-23-07, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
This isn't "will they/won't they". This is "will he strangle her/won't he bury her body under the Hollywood sign". That "no" at the end of the episode creeped me out.
I think it may have come off sounding like he was a stalker, but after all she is his boss and she could just fire him. She was looking at the picture of the two of them together and obviously has feeling towards him. "Will they/won't they" is a staple of romantic writing. It can be great if it isn't carried out over multiple seasons.

That being said ... they do need to make him a little less creepy.
Old 01-23-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Danny's 'no' at the end wasn't cute and endearing like "Roy will do anything to get Pam back" from The Office, it was more like that Richard Thomas/Brooke Shields telepic, the one where he takes the entire building hostage.

Left me extremely uneasy......
Old 01-23-07, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I liked it. The roundabout dialogue was classic Sorkin and the way everything was set-up for the next episodes was brilliant.
Old 01-23-07, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
It was all good except for the Danny/Jordan scenes.
Old 01-23-07, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I've got to say, I'm enjoy the behind the scenes stuff about Macau with Asner and Weber far more than the main part of the show.
Old 01-23-07, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
I've got to say, I'm enjoy the behind the scenes stuff about Macau with Asner and Weber far more than the main part of the show.

I agree - I think the network politics is far more interesting
Old 01-23-07, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree to some extent, but after a while wouldn't NBS start feeling like "Boston Public" where every little thing that could possibly happen at a high school, or television network, happens at THIS one?

If Harriet gets a hook-hand I know somethings up.
Old 01-24-07, 07:36 PM

All the Network politics stuff was great and just makes me wish that Profit had come out about 7 years later and was on HBO.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.