Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Garbage To Reunite in 2007

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

By: Chad | Source: VH1

Print | E-Mail | Most Viewed | RSS

Saturday, January 20, 2007

After announcing in 2005 that they were on 'indefinite hiatus', Garbage drummer Butch Vig revealed recently that the band has entered the studio to work on new tracks.

"We're recording a couple new songs at the end of February," Vig said recently. "I think everyone's excited about getting back in a room and playing some music together." The new tunes will be included on a Garbage greatest-hits album the band is putting together for release later in the year. "We've been working on it for a while," Vig said. "There was originally talk about doing a B-side and remix CD as well. I'm not sure what we'll do, but we have a lot of B-sides and remixes over the years, so it would be cool to see that come out in a proper package for our hard-core fans."

Garbage have also scheduled their first live performance in more than a year, at a benefit Vig is coordinating for fellow Madison, Wisconsin, drummer Wally "Llama" Ingram (Sheryl Crow, Bonnie Raitt), who was recently diagnosed with throat cancer.

"He's going through hard-core treatment and the doctors have given him a pretty good prognosis but, like a lot of musicians and [a] lot of people in this country, he doesn't have adequate health care," Vig explained. "So I took it upon myself to rally all his friends."

The show, which will take place on January 31 at the Alex Theatre in Glendale, California, will also feature the Martinis with Joey Santiago and David Lovering of Pixies, Bonnie Raitt, Keb' Mo', Victoria Williams and other surprise guests.

"I'm encouraging all artists to play two or three songs that are in a direction that is different from what they would normally play," Vig said. "And I'm encouraging people to collaborate and do duets and come out and jam." Garbage will be performing with the Section Quartet, a string quartet known for taking on alternative-rock music. "Shirley [Manson] was pretty excited about singing with a string section, and doing something very organic," Vig said.

Ingram will be in the house and is hoping to participate in the show-closing jam. "Wally is a super upbeat guy and one of the sweetest guys in the world," Vig said. "So when I sent out a blanket e-mail, I got literally hundreds of responses. So we may do one in San Francisco and Madison as well."

Along with organizing the benefit and reuniting Garbage, Vig, who produced Nirvana's Nevermind and Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream, is helming new albums for Jimmy Eat World and Florida punks Against Me!
Old 01-21-07, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
They broke up?
Old 01-21-07, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great news! Garbage are one of the very few current bands I give a shit about, although I wish it were a new album they were working on rather than a couple of tracks. Also, I hope they go through with the b-side compilation as it is long overdue. They've got some of the best b's in the biz.
Old 01-21-07, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
They broke up?
did they??
Old 01-21-07, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Grrr...they pissed me off with this "hiatus" shit. And by "a couple" new songs...i'm sure they mean the mandatory two new songs on a GH disc.

While it would be nice to get that b-side collection, they really need to put their vids on a DVD..
Old 01-21-07, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hmmm, this is not as exciting a news as I thought it would be....

As stated, this sounds like their going to the two songs because they have to. If there's no tour with the Greatest Hits then I'm not happy.
Old 01-22-07, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
This isn't really re-uniting. It's more along the lines of getting out of your record contract by releasing a GH album ( & not disappointing your fans be not releasing new tracks on it).
Old 01-22-07, 01:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I bet you they might play this year's 'T in the Park' over in Scotland
Old 01-22-07, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know, I kind of trust that Vig will want to get out those B-sides for, what he termed, his hardcore fans.

If they have 1 version with the "greatest hits" plus 2 and a SE set with all those songs and the b-sides as well, I will be a very happy camper.
Old 01-22-07, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
You guys keep talking about a b-sides album. This is the one I have, it's awesome:

http://musicmp3.ru/artist_garbage__a...xtraneous.html
Old 01-22-07, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
You guys keep talking about a b-sides album. This is the one I have, it's awesome:

Never heard of it, but it's just as well. Doesn't even have "Soldier Through This" on it...
Old 01-22-07, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by DVD Josh

Yeah, I snatched this too in my travels along the Wide, Wide World of Web, but (and maybe it's my old age) i'd rather have a hard (and legit) copy.

Well, at least of the tracks I don't already have...
Old 01-22-07, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
Don't people have to start to miss you before you stage a reunion?
Old 01-23-07, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
Don't people have to start to miss you before you stage a reunion?
I miss them, so that means we only have to have one more person in the world for people to be missing them. I think we can find, at least, 1 more.
Old 01-23-07, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I miss them, so that means we only have to have one more person in the world for people to be missing them. I think we can find, at least, 1 more.
I rant about their "hiatus" everytime I play one of their songs on my radio show, so it's official.
Old 01-23-07, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rogue588
I rant about their "hiatus" everytime I play one of their songs on my radio show, so it's official.
Thanks. Too bad I can't hear your rants.

And I don't know what kind of radio show you have, but one day maybe rant about "Ed" not being on dvd yet and get your listeners in a frenzy about it, so they march down to NBC and take the building by force and refuse to leave until someone gets the suits to commit to getting all the seasons released with their original music immediately.
Old 01-23-07, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

An army of at least three now. That post pissed me off. I love Garbage I don't want a stinking hiatus, I want a new album every three years.

They are one of my favorite bands.
Old 01-23-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by iggystar
An army of at least three now. That post pissed me off. I love Garbage I don't want a stinking hiatus, I want a new album every three years.

They are one of my favorite bands.
Me too!
Old 01-23-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yep, another vote from me. I missed them as well.
Old 01-23-07, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

And I don't know what kind of radio show you have, but one day maybe rant about "Ed" not being on dvd yet and get your listeners in a frenzy about it, so they march down to NBC and take the building by force and refuse to leave until someone gets the suits to commit to getting all the seasons released with their original music immediately.
Almost every time I play "Next Year"...

well, except the "taking the building by force" part...

And let's not forget...a GH with new tunes and a b-side collection would be nice, but we need a video complilation out of it too...
Old 01-23-07, 03:41 PM

A video collection would be okay but post The World Is Not Enough (Run Baby Run being an exception as well as the creepy Bleed Like Me) their videos haven't really made me take notice.

A remix album would be amazing, especially if it has a particular remix of You Look So Fine.

It's a shame the greatest hits album will propably not have the better singles (i.e. non-USA singles) on it and will probably only focus on the first two singles from each album. I hope the Nelly Hooper mix of #1 Crush is included as well as the James Bond track. The latter is doubtful since the band makes no secret of despising it.

If it's a standard Greatest Hits it will probably be 10 tracks, 2 new songs, and maybe the 2 soundtrack singles (3 if you count When I Grow Up) making it a total of 14 songs with the imports most likely getting a few more songs (damn Japan) or a different tracklisting.

So:
Vow
Only Happy When It Rains
Queer
Stupid Girl
Push It
Special
When I Grow Up
Androgyny
Why Do You Love Me

#1 Crush
The World Is Not Enough

2 new songs

No:
Subhuman
Milk
I Think I'm Paranoid
The Trick Is To Keep Breathing
You Look So Fine
Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go)
Breaking Up The Girl
Shut Your Mouth
Bleed Like Me
Sex Is Not The Enemy
Run Baby Run
Old 01-23-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by gatoinfeliz
A video collection would be okay but post The World Is Not Enough (Run Baby Run being an exception as well as the creepy Bleed Like Me) their videos haven't really made me take notice.

A remix album would be amazing, especially if it has a particular remix of You Look So Fine.

It's a shame the greatest hits album will propably not have the better singles (i.e. non-USA singles) on it and will probably only focus on the first two singles from each album. I hope the Nelly Hooper mix of #1 Crush is included as well as the James Bond track. The latter is doubtful since the band makes no secret of despising it.

If it's a standard Greatest Hits it will probably be 10 tracks, 2 new songs, and maybe the 2 soundtrack singles (3 if you count When I Grow Up) making it a total of 14 songs with the imports most likely getting a few more songs (damn Japan) or a different tracklisting.

So:
Vow
Only Happy When It Rains
Queer
Stupid Girl
Push It
Special
When I Grow Up
Androgyny
Why Do You Love Me

#1 Crush
The World Is Not Enough

2 new songs

No:
Subhuman
Milk
I Think I'm Paranoid
The Trick Is To Keep Breathing
You Look So Fine
Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go)
Breaking Up The Girl
Shut Your Mouth
Bleed Like Me
Sex Is Not The Enemy
Run Baby Run
Milk and Bleed Like Me both have a shot if it is your typical GH and Cherry Lips, I think would make the cut.

Just a guess. A Box set with everything they've ever done, including a dvd with the videos would work.
Old 01-23-07, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
Sorry about my post before, didn't mean to piss anyone offf, it's just that many artists will take a year or two off between albums. It doesn't feel like a reunion after such a short hiatus, at least to me.

I enjoy the band a lot (especially those first two albums) and am delighted they're not broken up.

Hope that clears things up a bit.
Old 01-23-07, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Sorry about my post before, didn't mean to piss anyone offf, it's just that many artists will take a year or two off between albums. It doesn't feel like a reunion after such a short hiatus, at least to me.

I enjoy the band a lot (especially those first two albums) and am delighted they're not broken up.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

"I hate so much about the things that you choose to be."

Old 05-22-07, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ABSOLUTE GARBAGE, THE FIRST "BEST OF" ALBUM FROM GARABAGE FEATURES ALL OF THE BAND'S HITS PLUS THEIR FIRST DVD COLLECTION FEATURING THEIR MUSIC VIDEOS

Limited Edition 2-CD Set Includes Disc Of Remixes By Renowned DJs

Garbage has its first "best of" collection--the CD and DVD collections, Absolute Garbage will be released July 16th and July 17th in US and Canada. Along with the new track "Tell Me Where It Hurts," Absolute Garbage features 17 songs of extreme and intense emotion, from "Stupid Girl," "Queer" and "#1 Crush" to "Special," "Bleed Like Me" and "Why Do You Love Me."

Among the 15 Garbage music videos on DVD for the first time -- including "Vow," "Only Happy When It Rains," "Stupid Girl," "Milk" and "Queer" -- is almost an hour of never-before-seen footage backstage and behind-the-scenes, live performances and interviews, spanning the band's entire career.

A special limited edition 2-CD set adds to the original CD a bonus disc of remixes by some of the world's most renowned DJs, including U.N.K.L.E., Massive Attack, Todd Terry, Crystal Method, Fun Lovin' Criminals, and Felix Da Housecat.

Absolute Garbage tracklisting:
Vow
Queer
Only Happy When It Rains
Stupid Girl
Milk
#1 Crush
Push It
I Think I’m Paranoid
Special
When I Grow Up
You Look So Fine
The World is Not Enough
Cherry Lips
Shut Your Mouth
Why Do You Love Me
Bleed Like Me
Tell Me Where It Hurts
It's All Over But The Crying

Remix CD track listing:
1. THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH – UNKLE REMIX
2. WHEN I GROW UP – KAGZ KOONER REMIX
3. SPECIAL – BROTHERS IN RHYTHM
4. BREAKING UP THE GIRL – TIMO MASS REMIX
5. MILK – MASSIVE ATTACK REMIX
6. CHERRY LIPS – ROGER SANCHEZ REMIX
7. ANDGROGONY – FELIX DA HOUSECAT REMIX
8. QUEER – RABBIT IN THE MOON REMIX
9. PARANOID – CRYSTAL METHOD MIX
10. STUPID GIRL – TODD TERRY REMIX
11. ANDROGONY – NEPTUNES REMIX
12. YOU LOOK SO FINE – FUN LOVIN’ CRIMINALS REMIX
13. PUSH IT – BOOM BOOM SATELLITES MIX
14. BAD BOYFRIEND – GARBAGE REMIX

DVD Tracklisting:
Vow
Queer
Only Happy When it Rains
Stupid Girl
Milk
Push It
I Think I’m Paranoid
Special
When I Grow Up
You Look So Fine
The World is Not Enough
Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go)
Shut Your Mouth
Why Do You Love Me
Bleed Like Me
Tell Me Where It Hurts
Garbage will release a brand new single entitled "Tell Me Where It Hurts" on July 9th on Warner Bros. Records (excluding North America). The single, recorded especially for inclusion on Absolute Garbage, will be released ahead of the "best of" collection Absolute Garbage that follows a week later.

"Tell Me Where It Hurts" will be available on two 7" formats and one CD. Each 7" release has a different b-side ("Bad Boyfriend" (Sting Like a Bee Remix) and "All The Good In This Life") whilst the CD features "Betcha."
Here's a camcorder capture of the new video playing on a tv:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oew06ctmxPA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oew06ctmxPA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

It kind of sounds like the song came from the beautifulgarbage sessions.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.