DVD Talk
Looking for a directory utility that lets you specify physical placement on disk [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Looking for a directory utility that lets you specify physical placement on disk

X
01-19-07, 12:39 PM
I did some fairly extensive defragging using Diskeeper and it moved my Windows 2000 Server system directory too far out on the disk for the boot loader to find some necessary files. I moved the disk driver closer to the beginning of the disk but there are still issues. I thought this was only an issue with WinNT, but apparently not.

Is there a disk utility or defragger that allows you to specify where you want directories placed on the disk?

4KRG
01-19-07, 02:04 PM
X - I have never seen a defrag utitlity where you could pick and choose where files went on the drive. I can't even imagine how that would work.

Something in the back of my mind says I have seen something that will let you put more often used files on the faster part of the disk, but I don't think you control what was more often used, it figured it out on its own

Anyway, I know I am of no help, but what if you copied everything off the disk except windows and programs files and the basics and then defragged it again, maybe it would put everything back in spec

and a side comment - fuck do I hate Diskeeper - lost more good systems to it over the years that I just don't even think about loading it anymore.

X
01-19-07, 02:28 PM
Well, I saw an option in Diskeeper that let you set an exclusion list. Once the system directory is in the proper location I should probably exclude it. But I think I won't use it anymore anyway.

I haven't lost any data, just messed up my system. The disk was in a mirrored array so I had two copies of it. I broke the array and restored one with a backup. But I wanted to make the latest keep working if possible. However it seems that since I put both drives on the system (non-mirrored) the drive restored with the backup became C: and the "good" drive became O: (I have a lot of drives). So now that I've placed the disk driver in a good spot on the disk the "good" drive doesn't complete booting because it becomes O: during the boot process and some system files are being looked for on the C: drive. So both drives are required to be there to boot. Its too screwy to explain fully.

I'm in the process of backing up the "good" drive and then I'm going to try this on it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188/EN-US/

and see what happens.

X
01-19-07, 05:13 PM
I'm in the process of backing up the "good" drive and then I'm going to try this on it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188/EN-US/

and see what happens.Wow, that really did the trick1 Good thing Windows is generally easy to figure out when it gets all squirrely.

Now I'm going to backup this good drive, take 4KRG's suggestion about removing all but the essential directories and then defragging, replace the directories, and re-establish the mirrored array.

I found out one strange thing about Ghost 2003. I could not get a readable backup of my drive when I ran Ghost from a floppy. It looked like it backed everything up but the backup showed corruption at the same place in each of the 3 or 4 backups I made. It may have been at the 2GB boundary. All the 2GB files were created and it didn't matter how long the file name was.

When I initiated the same backup to the same devices via the Ghost GUI in Windows it worked fine.