Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Cannibal Campout'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read Scott Weinberg's DVD review of Cannibal Campout at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=26084 and...

Scott,
Thanks for taking time to review this. I think its a good point that a distribution deal on this type of film was a bit easier at that point in time. While home video camcorders were avaiable, and relatively affordable, home editing software was not. So plenty of dedicated weekend warriors with weekend passes at college campuses, and public access stations were piecing things together on a dime. Lloyd Kaufman wrote about The Toxic Avenger...basically said you needed a good title, and video box back then.

i have never seen this film, though i have heard stories of friends who collect rare videos and bootlegs. i have corrosponded with Amy Chludzinski through her myspace page at http://www.myspace.com/amy_chludzinski where i learned it was coming out on dvd. The fullscreen aspect ratio should be correct, as this probably never hit theaters anywhere outside of a local premiere. The tracking quality you spoke of is a bummer, but I also assume this was originally mastered on nothing larget than a 3/4 inch tape.

sorry it wasn't your cup of tea, and I hope my viewing will be better recieved than yours.
Old 01-18-07, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since the very early 90's, I have had the pleasure of sitting through Cannibal Campout at least 20 times. My friend and I would rent it at this "out of the way" video store whenever we had the chance. Eventually that store went out of business and I bought their VHS copy (along with the classic Psychos in Love). It is a terrible movie, but there are so many laughs throughout the thing, that I really appreciate it in a MST3K kind of way.

Our circle of friends even had a catchphrase from CC that we used for a long time, which of course is "HEY, F*** OFF BUDDY!". That along with the horrid song that they sing in the van on the way to the woods. It's awesome. I can't wait to pick up the DVD, but I'll probably hold on to the VHS for nostalgia purposes.

"What's more disgusting than a pile of dead babies? A live one at the bottom trying to eat it's way out! HO HO!" I would have put a highly recommended on this sucker.
Old 01-20-07, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dimwit

You are an idiot. You do not know about film making. You are a hack and if you continue I will make you look foolish. Enjoy your mac and cheese and the fact you are up to doing your home duties you worthlelss pile of crap. Save your inane reviews for your own films. Of course you'll never make one.Douchebag
Old 01-20-07, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Old 01-26-07, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what just happened here? The director sent a e-mail. thats awesome.

he basically said, what i had said about low budget vhs style movies...

I agree that its pretty amazing that you can make something and have it seen around the world for little more than a two week paycheck at a fast food joint.

still have not grabbed this, but I am more intrigued.

Last edited by Cameron; 01-26-07 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-27-07, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That was an interesting letter from the director. You don't often get to read directors respond to criticism about their movies. I'm glad you went ahead and posted it with the review.
Old 11-04-21, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: dimwit

Originally Posted by bbot9
You are an idiot. You do not know about film making. You are a hack and if you continue I will make you look foolish. Enjoy your mac and cheese and the fact you are up to doing your home duties you worthlelss pile of crap. Save your inane reviews for your own films. Of course you'll never make one.Douchebag
Did you produce the beautiful masterpiece that is cannibal campout? I'm looking to see how the cast is doing specifically Richard Marcus. He was the loud obnoxious killer who seemed like he had a disability. Please respond and I really enjoyed this 80s gold!