Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

NBC Renews The Office, My Name Is Earl, Heroes & L&O: SVU for full seasons 2007-2008

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC Renews The Office, My Name Is Earl, Heroes & L&O: SVU for full seasons 2007-2008

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-07, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.a...=20070117nbc02

[01.17.07 - 09:43 AM]
NBC RENEWS HIT SERIES 'THE OFFICE,' 'MY NAME IS EARL,' 'HEROES' AND 'LAW & ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT' FOR FULL SEASON OF EPISODES IN 2007-08
Released by NBC
[NOTE: The following article is a press release issued by the aforementioned network and/or company. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The release is reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NBC RENEWS HIT SERIES 'THE OFFICE,' 'MY NAME IS EARL,' 'HEROES' AND 'LAW & ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT' FOR FULL SEASON OF EPISODES IN 2007-08

BURBANK January 17, 2007 NBC has ordered early full-season pickups for the 2007-08 season for four hit series -- the comedies "The Office" and "My Name Is Earl," and dramas "Heroes" and "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, " it was announced today by Kevin Reilly, President, NBC Entertainment.

"These four series represent some of the best of what we consider to be the 'NBC brand' of quality shows," said Reilly. "It is a pleasure to give them an early renewal to develop more stories for next year since we know they will remain both critical and commercial successes for a long time to come."

"The Office" is delivering a 4.2 rating, 11 share in 18-49 and 8.7 million viewers through the first 16 weeks of the 2006-07 season and has matched or built on its 18-49 lead-in from "The Office" with every original telecast this season. "The Office" has improved the Thursday 8:30-9 half-hour for NBC this season by 20 percent versus year-ago averages in 18-49. "The Office" is network television's most upscale comedy, delivering primetime's #1 concentration of adults 18-49 living in homes with $100,000-plus incomes.

From Reveille and NBC Universal Television Studio comes the Emmy Award-winning "The Office" (Thursdays, 8:30-9 p.m. ET), a documentary-style look into the sometimes poignant foolishness that plagues the world of 9-to-5, based on the award-winning BBC hit. "The Office" delves into the lives of the workers at Dunder Mifflin paper supply company in Scranton, Pennsylvania. Regional manager Michael Scott (Golden Globe winner and Emmy nominee Steve Carell, "The 40-Year-Old Virgin") is a single, middle-aged man who is the boastful tour guide for the documentary.

Pam Beesly (Jenna Fischer, "Slither") is the friendly office receptionist who bears the brunt of Michael's routines. The bright spots in Pam's day are her conversations with Jim Halpert (John Krasinski, "Jarhead," "Kinsey"), a likable sales rep. Jim shares his working space with Dwight Schrute (Rainn Wilson, "Six Feet Under"), the arrogant assistant to the regional manager. Ryan Howard (B.J. Novak, "Punk'd") is a young, smart temp who quickly figures out the real office politics.

Also starring are Melora Hardin ("Monk") as Jan Levinson, David Denman ("When A Stranger Calls") as Roy, Leslie David Baker ("Malcolm in the Middle") as Stanley Hudson, Brian Baumgartner ("Arrested Development") as Kevin Malone, Kate Flannery ("The Heir Apparent") as Meredith Palmer, Angela Kinsey ("Tripping Forward") as Angela Martin, Oscar Nuez ("Halfway Home") as Oscar Martinez, Phyllis Smith ("Arrested Development") as Phyllis Lapin, Mindy Kaling ("The 40-Year-Old Virgin") as Kelly Kapour and Paul Lieberstein (writer, "King of the Hill") as Toby.

"The Office" is executive-produced by Ben Silverman, Greg Daniels, who developed the series for American audiences, Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant and Howard Klein.

"My Names Is Earl" is averaging a 4.0 rating, 11 share in 18-49 and 9.5 million viewers through the opening 16 weeks of the 2006-07 television season. "Earl" has improved the Thursday 8-8:30 p.m. half-hour for NBC this season by 38 percent versus year-ago results in 18-49.

In "My Name Is Earl" (Thursdays, 8-8:30 p.m. ET), Earl (Jason Lee, "Almost Famous") has taken one too many wrong turns on the highway of life. However, a twist of fate turns his life into a tailspin of life-renewing events when after winning a small lottery, Earl has an epiphany and is determined to transform his good fortune into a life-changing event as he sets out to right all the wrongs from his past.

In its inaugural season last year, the show received the People's Choice Award, two Television Critics Awards, a SAG Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series and Emmys for executive producers Greg Garcia and Marc Buckland for writing and directing, respectively.

Joining Earl along his quest to cleanse his karma are his hapless brother Randy (Ethan Suplee, "Cold Mountain") and the very sexy Catalina (Nadine Velazquez, "The Bold and the Beautiful"). Even Darnell (Eddie Steeples, "Torque"), the owner of the Crab Shack where Earl drinks beer, offers his support. But it's Earl's ex-wife Joy (Jaime Pressly, "Not Another Teen Movie") who won't help him unless there's something in it for her. Created and written by Garcia ("Yes, Dear"), "My Name Is Earl" is executive-produced by Garcia, Buckland ("Medical Investigation," "Ed") and Bobby Bowman ("Yes, Dear"). The series is produced by Amigos de Garcia and Twentieth Century Fox Television.

"Heroes" is the #1 new series of the season in adults 18-49, total viewers and other key categories and, through 16 weeks of the season, is tied for the #3 ranking among all shows in 18-49. "Heroes" is NBC's highest-rated first-year drama in 18-49 in 12 years, since "ER" debuted in Fall 1994. Through January 7, "Heroes" was averaging a 6.8 rating, 16 share in adults 18-49 and 15.3 million viewers overall.

From creator-executive producer Tim Kring (NBC's "Crossing Jordan") comes "Heroes" (Mondays, 9-10 p.m. ET) recently named the winner of the People's Choice Award for Favorite New TV Drama is an epic drama that chronicles the lives of ordinary people who discover they possess extraordinary abilities and a destiny to save the world.

They include a genetics professor (Sendhil Ramamurthy, "Blind Guy Driving") in India who is led by his father's disappearance to uncover a secret theory that there are people with super powers living among us. Also featured are a young dreamer (Milo Ventimiglia, "Gilmore Girls") tries to convince his politician brother (Adrian Pasdar, "Judging Amy") that he can fly. A high school cheerleader (Hayden Panettiere, "Ice Princess") learns that she is totally indestructible while trying to relate to her father (Jack Coleman, "Dynasty") who has a keen interest in people with special abilities. A Las Vegas single mother (Ali Larter, "Final Destination") struggles to make ends meet to support her young son (Noah Gray-Cabey, "My Wife & Kids") and discovers that her mirror image has a secret.

In addition, a fugitive from justice (Leonard Roberts, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer") continues to baffle authorities. A gifted artist (Santiago Cabrera, "Empire"), whose drug addiction is destroying his life and relationship with his girlfriend (Tawny Cypress, "Third Watch"), can paint the future. A down-on-his-luck Los Angeles beat cop (Greg Grunberg, "Alias") can hear people's thoughts, which puts him on the trail of an elusive serial killer. In Japan, a young man (Masi Oka, NBC's "Scrubs") develops a way to stop time through sheer will power.

Joining Kring as executive producer are Dennis Hammer (NBC's "Crossing Jordan") and Allan Arkush (NBC's "Crossing Jordan"). The drama is produced by NBC Universal Television Studio.

"Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" (Tuesdays, 10-11 p.m. ET) is averaging a 4.3 rating, 12 share in adults 18-49 and 12.9 million viewers overall through the first 16 weeks of the 2006-07 television season, making it NBC's #2 drama in total viewers. "SVU" remains in control of the Tuesday 10 p.m. hour, where an original episode hasn't lost the time period to regular competition in adults 18-49 in more than two and a half years. "SVU's" 18-49 margin of victory this season is nearly 50 percent.

"Law & Order" Special Victims Unit" is a hard-hitting and emotional series from NBC's "Law & Order" brand that chronicles the life and crimes of the Special Victims Unit of the New York Police Department, the elite squad of detectives who investigate sexually based crimes. Created by Emmy Award-winning producer Dick Wolf, "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" is now in its eighth season.

The drama follows Detective Elliot Stabler (Christopher Meloni), a seasoned veteran of the unit who has seen it all, and his partner, Detective Olivia Benson (Emmy and Golden Globe winner Mariska Hargitay), whose difficult past a child of rape prompted her career move to the unit.

Captain Donald Cragen (Dann Florek) oversees the unit with his tough but supportive approach to the team's complex cases. Detective John Munch, (Richard Belzer, "Homicide: Life on the Street") brings his acerbic wit and street-honed investigative skills to the team. His partner, Detective Odafin "Fin" Tutuola (Ice-T), adds his unique sense of humor and investigative experience, making him a formidable match for Munch. Assistant District Attorney Casey Novak (Diane Neal) brings closure to the intense investigations with her legal expertise. Forensic psychiatrist, George Huang (B.D. Wong) often provides significant clues that lead to the resolution of a case, and Medical Examiner Melinda Warner (Tamara Tunie), uncovers more forensic evidence.

"Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" is a Wolf Films production in association with NBC Universal Television Studio. Wolf, is creator and executive producer, Neal Baer (NBC's "ER", "China Beach"), Ted Kotcheff ("Fun with Dick and Jane," "Weekend at Bernie's") and Peter Jankowski are executive producers.

I watch 3 out of 4 of these shows.

Chris
Old 01-17-07, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
No surprises there. None of those were ever considered in danger.
Old 01-17-07, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Even Darnell (Eddie Steeples, "Torque"), the owner of the Crab Shack where Earl drinks beer, offers his support.
Crabman owns the Crab Shack?
Old 01-17-07, 02:17 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
There was an article the other day that said Scrubs will be back next year as well for a final season with or without Braff, though they think he'll come back. If NBC doesn't pick it up it will move to ABC.
Old 01-17-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Hopefully Friday Night Lights picks up some steam toward the end of the season so that NBC will consider a renewal as well.
Old 01-17-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
2 of 4 here
Old 01-17-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
I watch them all.
Old 01-17-07, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Crabman owns the Crab Shack?
Ooops, should I have spoiled that?

Chris
Old 01-17-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
3 out of 4 ain't bad.....
Old 01-17-07, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
Hopefully Friday Night Lights picks up some steam toward the end of the season so that NBC will consider a renewal as well.

Yep - that's the key one for me. The 4 shows here were no-brainer renewals.

It will also be interesting to see what they do with Studio 60, although I wouldn't care that much if it is cancelled.
Old 01-17-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeremy517
No surprises there. None of those were ever considered in danger.
This just in: Water is wet.

However, I wonder if SVU will be back with Benson and Stabler..
Old 01-17-07, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I want FNL back. Also possibly 30 Rock
Old 01-17-07, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588

I enjoyed last night Fin-centric episode more than most of the eps this season, so I find myself sort of wishing they won't be back.
Old 01-17-07, 04:35 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rogue588

I'm sure NBC will eventually cough up the $$$$. I couldn't care less if Meloni comes back, but I need my Mariska
Old 01-17-07, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
There was an article the other day that said Scrubs will be back next year as well for a final season with or without Braff, though they think he'll come back. If NBC doesn't pick it up it will move to ABC.
im glad to see law & order:svu, & my name is earl come back (no surprises). i have never watched the office & heroes didn't click for me.
scrubs has to be the most shifted around program in history. i wish NBC would treat this show better and give it a full season rite now.
i like earl but its no scrubs thats for sure.
i hope ABC takes it next year (they should have had the show from the beggining).
can someone tell me why NBC airs Scrubs & ABC doesn't air it? isn't ABC a disney/Buena Vista owned network?
Old 01-17-07, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You really owe it to yourself to watch The Office. It's easily the most satisfying 30 minutes I get all week...
Old 01-17-07, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242
You really owe it to yourself to watch The Office. It's easily the most satisfying 30 minutes I get all week...
Yep!

But the thing is, people that don't work in that type of office setting (I do), won't get a lot of the jokes and nuance's.

Chris
Old 01-17-07, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are the ratings for MNIE and The Office that far ahead of Scrubs and 30 Rock that they didn't want to just renew the whole block or at least 30 Rock in the same announcement? I can understand how Scrubs is a special case because it's an aging Touchstone show, but 30 Rock is produced inhouse (I think) and is just getting started.
Old 01-17-07, 06:33 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Earl is the highest rated of the 4 and the ratings drop about a point each half-hour. I think it's a difference of about 3 million people between Earl and 30 Rock.
Old 01-17-07, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
Earl is the highest rated of the 4 and the ratings drop about a point each half-hour. I think it's a difference of about 3 million people between Earl and 30 Rock.
3 million viewers, and 30 Rock has to air against GA and CSI? That sounds like it's doing pretty well to me.

Get this sucker renewed, NBC.
Old 01-17-07, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

good news!
Old 01-17-07, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How great is it that one of the best US comedies in years (The Office) is getting a fourth season? Too bad Arrested Development didn't get the same kind of attention.
Old 01-17-07, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
cool, ill give it a shot this thursday.
Old 01-17-07, 11:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
But the thing is, people that don't work in that type of office setting (I do), won't get a lot of the jokes and nuance's.
You have to be kidding. I've never worked in an office setting ever in my life and I find this one of the funniest shows in many years.

I've also never worked in a MASH unit (M*A*S*H), a hospital (Scrubs), a hotel (Fawlty Towers), an inn (Newhart), on a tv show (Buffalo Bill), at a radio station (WKRP) and countless other places where tv shows take place. Somehow I still find them very funny.

I guess I just have a sense of humor.
Old 01-18-07, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by cracksky
You have to be kidding. I've never worked in an office setting ever in my life and I find this one of the funniest shows in many years.

I've also never worked in a MASH unit (M*A*S*H), a hospital (Scrubs), a hotel (Fawlty Towers), an inn (Newhart), on a tv show (Buffalo Bill), at a radio station (WKRP) and countless other places where tv shows take place. Somehow I still find them very funny.

I guess I just have a sense of humor.
I'm just saying that someone that works outside (let's say a person that does roadwork the whole day), does not know what it's like to work in an office and all of the things that go on in there.

Just like I wouldn't know the humor that goes on with the people that work outside.

It all has to do with location, location, location. There are different types of humor for the different types of location.

Chris

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.