Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Do 'Smokeless Ashtrays' work? Other alternatives?

Save Ferris
01-17-07, 12:18 PM
Some friends of mine wont come over for a movie night because I generally dont like people to smoke in my home. Are there good 'smoke eating' gadgets that work well? Any links to some that you've tried? Thanks!

nevermind
01-17-07, 12:19 PM
Oh boy. Here we go.

Red Dog - get that list ready.

kneijst1
01-17-07, 12:36 PM
Why not make them go outside??

Brian Shannon
01-17-07, 12:38 PM
You would be doing your friends a great service by refusing their request. Otherwise you are just an enabler for their addiction.

And to answer the question I would not want smoke of any kind in my house or near my dvds and electronic equipment.

Save Ferris
01-17-07, 12:43 PM
They refuse to come over for a movie night if they have to go outside.

It is currently about 20 degrees outside...

Numanoid
01-17-07, 12:45 PM
Your friends suck.

4KRG
01-17-07, 12:48 PM
Try this

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/evacuation/images/co2_large.jpg

Draven
01-17-07, 01:21 PM
Tell your friend to try and control himself for 3 hours.

Altimus Prime
01-17-07, 01:25 PM
Don't let them stink up your home. If they're your friends, then they should have respect for you.

As for smokeless ash trays ... haven't you seen "Gremlins"?

All joking aside, it won't work. Are they going to exhale into the ashtray, too???

Red Dog
01-17-07, 01:33 PM
Oh boy. Here we go.

Red Dog - get that list ready.

Standing by.

I actually do find their refusal odd, since I don't know any smokers (evil though they may be ;) ) who have a problem with smoking outside at somebody's residence if that's the owner's wish.

That being said - why do you need friends to come over and watch a movie? Do you talk to each other during the movie?

Lord Rick
01-17-07, 01:37 PM
Get new friends. Problem solved.

mkdevo
01-17-07, 01:47 PM
i have 6-10 people over every tuesday night for poker, half of which are smokers. no one has a problem going out on the deck to smoke.. i'm in new england..

Save Ferris
01-17-07, 01:48 PM
Well, I have the best home theater setup. And yea they are more like second string friends. Some of the best friends are married/with kids now and thats a whole nuther set of obstacles.

Altimus Prime
01-17-07, 01:54 PM
If you got the gear, then they got to go by your rules.

Do you think they're coming over for your charming presence, or the home theater setup, anyway?

RunBandoRun
01-17-07, 01:59 PM
This probably won't protect your DVDs or equipment, but just to help get rid of the smell, you can put out bowls of white vinegar. It will help, I swear by it.

Nick Danger
01-17-07, 02:08 PM
Vinegar really takes care of the odor.

But smokers light up outside my house. No one has a problem with that.

Numanoid
01-17-07, 02:22 PM
So what do you put out to get rid of the vinegar smell?

Altimus Prime
01-17-07, 02:23 PM
Cabbage.

corbin dallas
01-17-07, 04:10 PM
Hell, I don't even smoke in my OWN house. I would never even imagine imposing on someone that's a non smoker.
Hey, bud, I know you don't smoke but can i stink up your house anyway?

Flashback
01-17-07, 04:14 PM
Well, I have the best home theater setup.

Pics?

mikehunt
01-17-07, 07:03 PM
the smokeless ashtray I bought sucks balls
barely sucks the smoke in
so I'll be having my cigar this week outside in the cold

Tracer Bullet
01-17-07, 07:05 PM
Your friends suck.

Crap, I agree with Numanoid in a smoking thread. I better be coming down with something.

Numanoid
01-17-07, 07:33 PM
:lol:

:mad:

Green Smurf
01-18-07, 02:18 AM
plus with Di there I wouldn't let anyone smoke in the house anyway. Smoke affects his lungs just like a humans.

Dont' want him dying of lung cancer because of your friends. I make my mom smoke outside so she doesn't smoke in front of the dogs.

iggystar
01-18-07, 09:58 AM
So where do these friends find movie theaters that allow smoking. Man up and make those jokers go outside. I've got to get lung cancer in my own home because you don't want to get chilly? Please.

kantonburg
01-18-07, 10:13 AM
They refuse to come over for a movie night if they have to go outside.

It is currently about 20 degrees outside...

Print this and tell your 'friends' to read it.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=484715

Especially this post

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7465415&postcount=28

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr.
01-18-07, 10:33 AM
are these your hipster friends?

Flashback
01-18-07, 10:47 AM
I have no problems with bars allowing (or should allow smoking - another story of course) however this is your home and your rules.

If you do not allow it (for ANY reason) then your friends should be considerate enough to go outside, not smoke or not come over at all.

When I smoked I never did so in someones house (unless they did). As a matter of fact I always assumed that it was not allowed and would ask for an ashtray or empty can to dispose of my cig. EDIT (to bring the ashtray or can outside).

Eddie W
01-18-07, 11:07 AM
What I don't understand is why you want these boors in your house in the first place? They're admittedly second string friends and are obviously so self absorbed that they'd rather pollute your entire house than even slightly inconvenience themselves.

Even when I was a smoker, I never smoked in anyone's home. Even if they did so themselves, just because it seemed so incredibly rude.

Save Ferris
01-18-07, 12:24 PM
admitedly, Ive had cigars at home on a RARE occasion and figured if there were some smoke eating device it wouldnt be too bad. As my best friends become less and less available im branching out a little. Im taking hipster suppliments until the transformation is complete.

Also it wasnt a 'Im not coming over if I cant smoke' it was me inviting my friend to bring a group of people over for a movie night--some who I didnt know well--and them saying 'well so and so wont want to come over if they cant smoke...' It may be a case of people just not into movies that much. ::emo heart breaks:: :(

Flashback
01-18-07, 12:56 PM
admitedly, Ive had cigars at home on a RARE occasion and figured if there were some smoke eating device it wouldnt be too bad. (

Oops. If they know that then a few cigarettes will never come close to a few cigars. Still your call.

mikehunt
01-18-07, 05:47 PM
I have no problems with bars allowing (or should allow smoking - another story of course)

me neither
I also have no problems with bars not allowing, as long as it's the owner's decision
same goes for houses

Heat
01-19-07, 12:33 AM
...Even when I was a smoker, I never smoked in anyone's home...
Ditto, it's very rude to ask to smoke in a non-smoker's house.