Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Latest Reason Why Best Buy is WORST Buy

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 01-17-07, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Ordered items online. I went to the store after receiving the e-mail that the items were ready, and was told the e-mail was sent in error. I asked to cancel the order and was told that if I didn't pick them up for 8 days, it would be canceled automatically and I did not have to do anything else.

However, today, I found that I was charged for the items. I called BBY and they said that according to their records, the items were picked up, which is not true. They opened up a case regarding this.

I'll give them a chance to fix the problem, but I'm infuriated that the store would say I picked up items when I did not.
Old 01-17-07, 08:54 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Hmm...based on the facts given it sounds like somebody else picked up your items, either by mistake or otherwise.
Old 01-17-07, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I shop at Best Buy on pretty much a weekly basis - go in the store, pick up what I want, and check out. I don't really think it makes much sense to make a blanket criticism on the quality of a store because of a store pickup incident. There's always room for mishaps whenever you order something online for delivery or pickup, that's just the nature of it.
Old 01-17-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MikeDeN2K
I shop at Best Buy on pretty much a weekly basis - go in the store, pick up what I want, and check out. I don't really think it makes much sense to make a blanket criticism on the quality of a store because of a store pickup incident. There's always room for mishaps whenever you order something online for delivery or pickup, that's just the nature of it.
I would agree, normally. But seriously, just Google "worst buy", and you'll see many, many instances of poor practices. Also, there is a whole website, bestbuysucks.com, dedicated to it.

This is not a "mishap". In legal terms, it's called fraud. That's a real issue.

Do you still maintain your position in light of the above?
Old 01-17-07, 09:23 AM

Obviously, Best Buy screwed up here somehow. But it's not fraud unless you can show they did it intentionally. "Hey, let's not give this guy his order and charge him for it anyway. Free money, and I'm sure he won't object!"
Old 01-17-07, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
Obviously, Best Buy screwed up here somehow. But it's not fraud unless you can show they did it intentionally. "Hey, let's not give this guy his order and charge him for it anyway. Free money, and I'm sure he won't object!"
I would prefer if BBY's investigation just revealed a mistake and they credited back my card.

But in terms of legality, the definition of fraud is, as you say "intentional", OR "with reckless disregard". Someone told my CC that I picked this up. Which means they either a) lied, or b) didn't bother to confirm whether it was true, either of which would meet the legal definition, no?
Old 01-17-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't you have to present the credit card you used to make the purchase to pick them up? I don't see how anyone could take your items, so I'm thinking Best Buy, in this case, never actually released the stock.

If I were you, I'd go in there with your order confirmation and your credit card statement showing the charge and demand to know what their system shows the order status as and if anyone picked them up and how they got out of the store with your items.

Is either solution acceptable to you at this point: refund or fulfillment?
Old 01-17-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pinata242
Don't you have to present the credit card you used to make the purchase to pick them up? I don't see how anyone could take your items, so I'm thinking Best Buy, in this case, never actually released the stock.

If I were you, I'd go in there with your order confirmation and your credit card statement showing the charge and demand to know what their system shows the order status as and if anyone picked them up and how they got out of the store with your items.

Is either solution acceptable to you at this point: refund or fulfillment?
You have to present the actual credit card used, and your photo ID, and the pickup e-mail. So I agree, it seems unlikely they went to someone else.

At this point, I want a refund. When they told me they didn't have the items, I bought the one I really wanted from another BBY near my folks house since I was in the area and needed a router.

I'm fully willing to let BBY's investigation take it's course. I'm due an answer within 72 hours. Next step of course is to challenge the charge, but it's on my BBY credit card, which they are probably in cahoots with (HSBC).

I'll definitely report back.
Old 01-17-07, 09:54 AM
Banned

I enjoy shopping at Best Buy, but when it comes to online ordering I will not use them. First of all their website is not dependable. I like to check if an item is in stock at my local BB before I travel to the store. Very often their website is not accurate. I use to order online and pick up in person but that also had many flaws and mistakes. For me I will only purchase from BB with the item in my hands, that is the only way you know what you are getting...
Old 01-17-07, 09:57 AM

I've never done in-store pickup at Best Buy. Do you have to sign anything?
Old 01-17-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i've done instore pickup at least 20 times. never had a problem with it. once one of the items was shown as in stock but was not there and they shipped it to me for free. everytime i go there i see the same people and actually got to know quite a few of them. they always try to be as helpful as they can be and will always check in the back if something isn't on the shelf. pricematching is never a problem either if a have the flyer. i think my best buy is great. maybe your particular store just sucks.
Old 01-17-07, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's the process:

1) Show e-mail

2) Show credit card used

3) Show ID

4) Sign receipt saying you picked up items

5) You are given the items.
Old 01-17-07, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dollfins1
i think my best buy is great. maybe your particular store just sucks.
I won't argue with that at all. But that's true of any big box retailer.
Old 01-17-07, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you have to bring the email printout (your order is ready for pickup) and the credit card you used to charge the items. the only thing you sign is the cc reciept as you would if you charged anything anywhere.
Old 01-17-07, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts
I also haven't had any issues with my local Best Buy and never really understood the constant Worst Buy comments, though I don't usually have a reason to return stuff, the one or two times i have, have been smooth.

I've had two occasions where I ordered online for in-store pickup and the item wound up being unavailable. Followed the instructions in the e-mail and was given free standard shipping on the item (one was a desk, the other a videogame), so again, no complaints.

...just don't get me started on our local CompUSA.
Old 01-17-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2

...just don't get me started on our local CompUSA.

my compusa (unfortunately) is like one step up from a dude selling shit out of the back of a van lol
Old 01-17-07, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Here's the process:

If they give you slack, this is the key point. Demand that they show you the signed receipt.

My guess (and hope), however, is that their internal investigation will reveal the error and you'll get a hassle-free charge back.
Old 01-17-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If they give you slack, this is the key point. Demand that they show you the signed receipt.

My guess (and hope), however, is that their internal investigation will reveal the error and you'll get a hassle-free charge back.
Thanks. I hope so too. The BBY CSR I spoke with was a nice guy, but of course, he's just a first-line responder with no real power.
Old 01-17-07, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The web site is www.bestbuysux.org.

Bob
Old 01-17-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At this point, I want a refund. When they told me they didn't have the items, I bought the one I really wanted from another BBY near my folks house since I was in the area and needed a router.
If you think Best Buy is indeed "WORST Buy" after their "latest" screw-up, why do you continue to shop there?
Old 01-17-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I would open a dispute with your credit card company and dispute the charge.
Old 01-17-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
If you think Best Buy is indeed "WORST Buy" after their "latest" screw-up, why do you continue to shop there?
These types of questions are counter-productive and lame attempts at wit. They often fail miserably.

BBY is on the way home. BBY had the best price. Not that I have to justify any of this to you, but since you asked, there's your answer.
Old 01-17-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
I would open a dispute with your credit card company and dispute the charge.
If I had used anything but the BBY CC, I would have. I can still challenge it with them, but since the guy said there would be a response in 72 hours, I can wait three days for them to make it right.
Old 01-17-07, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Here's the process:

1) Show e-mail

2) Show credit card used

3) Show ID

5) You are given the items.

Sounds like it might just be easier to go in and pick up what you need and pay like normal.....

Old 01-17-07, 03:36 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Minor Threat
Sounds like it might just be easier to go in and pick up what you need and pay like normal.....

In general, you're right that it's not much different than purchasing it at the store. For as little shopping as I tend to do at Best Buy, twice I've used the online purchase with in-store pickup to get lower prices. Once was to lock in a sale price when we decided on something at night right before the sale ended. So it does have its place on occasion.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.