DVD Talk
Quick question: is there supposed to be red stuff in bananas? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Quick question: is there supposed to be red stuff in bananas?

GradVT06
01-16-07, 08:47 PM
I posted this in my other thread about questions about food, which I'll delete since this is off topic.

Ok, so I get back from Ukrops where one of he things we bought were bananas. They were Chiquita, and because we bought a bunch we bought yellow ones with a hint of green, not fully green by any stretch. My wife opened one up and there was a red gel-like substance that was almost 'swirled' throughout the banana, along the edges, up the middle.... it almost looked like 90% banana and swirled with 10% hard strawberry jelly... that's pretty much what it looked like. Tomorrow we'll be taking them back and getting a refund.... but what the hell is up with the banana? What is that red stuff??????

It's a standard yellow banana I've bought in dozens of supermarkets and never seen anything like it before and I can't find anything online. It just looks like normal banana w/ the red stuff.

kantonburg
01-16-07, 08:50 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no. But then again I HATE bananas.

Ranger
01-16-07, 08:50 PM
no pics?

Did the swirls follow the openings of the peel?

Could be some fungus.

GradVT06
01-16-07, 08:57 PM
no pics?

Did the swirls follow the openings of the peel?

Could be some fungus.

No, I'm not able to get any pics up right now. It's not so much a swirl, but more like just different segments. Like right along the edge where the peel is... it looks almost like if you took a piece of string cheese, pulled it apart into 25 pieces, colored a few of them red, and then put the string cheese back together, where most of it is normal but random parts or strips are red and it looks to be the same hardness/consistency as the rest of the banana.

cultshock
01-16-07, 09:15 PM
Cool, genetic scientists have finally managed to create bananas with strawberry swirls! :drool:

TomOpus
01-16-07, 09:17 PM
No peanut butter swirls = no sale

The Edit King
01-16-07, 09:26 PM
bacteria can cause that.

http://images-partners.google.com/images?q=tbn:te1_DGQpZPbJPM:82.43.123.182/globalplantclinic/images/Bacteria_banana_(Eric).jpg

GradVT06
01-16-07, 09:37 PM
I've been searching all over google images for pictures and can't find anything, though it doesn't look like the picture above. It literally looks like small portions throughout the banana were replaced with strawberry jelly, and the rest of the banana looks as normal as all other bananas. I guess it's some random fungus or mold or something.

tasha99
01-16-07, 09:39 PM
Or the Tylonel killer has decided to be a little more whimsical with his tampering projects.

The Edit King
01-16-07, 10:05 PM
I've been searching all over google images for pictures and can't find anything, though it doesn't look like the picture above.I didn't think it did either (from your description), but it was the best I could do to put a face on this BLEEDING BANANA! :lol:

Sorry. http://www.fastlanehw.com/forums/images/smilies/redface.gif

(Maybe you should put it up on ebay?)

GradVT06
01-16-07, 10:10 PM
I didn't think it did either (from your description), but it was the best I could do to put a face on this BLEEDING BANANA! :lol:

Sorry. http://www.fastlanehw.com/forums/images/smilies/redface.gif

(Maybe you should put it up on ebay?)

Maybe we'll open up another one or two and see if the others are like that... if we get lucky we'll put the bundle up there...

"Mysterious bleeding bananas!"

It'll be on one of Jay Leno's "Things we found on ebay" segments, and the audience shouts out whether they thought it was sold or not sold and we find out how much if it was sold. I'll try and take pictures with my cell phone tomorrow before work and send them to my email and put them up online.

The Edit King
01-16-07, 10:13 PM
:lol:

TheNightFlier
01-16-07, 10:17 PM
Eat it and report back to us.

Joe Molotov
01-16-07, 10:41 PM
:sad:

Sabrett
01-16-07, 11:23 PM
I'd say if you have to ask the question, chances are..it shouldn't be there.

Mqm127
01-17-07, 05:28 AM
On a traffic light red means stop, yellow means slow down, and green means go. But on a banana its the opposite, Green means hold on, yellow means go ahead and red means "Where the f--k did you get that banana at?"

/mitch hedberg

GradVT06
01-17-07, 08:51 AM
I took this with my cell phone this morning. of course the peel itself is dark b/c we opened it last night but put it in a plastic bag overnight for when we bring all our bananas back to the store.

This first picture has the banan w/ the peel on the right side all the way down. All the dark stuff you see is actually red stuff in/on the edges of the banana. The ONLY part that has gone bad b/c it's been peeled open is on the peel itself... all of what you see on the banana is the red stuff, including the stuff on the top right and the strip of darkness along the left side of the banana and the strip going through the banana.
http://www.brinkleys.org/users/tsl/Files/0117070729.jpg

This picture has a piece taken off from the top. Again, the dark stuff you see in the middle of the picture at the very bottom is the red stuff, right where the peel is pulling away from the banana. The piece that is pulled off, well, you're looking at the middle of it or the piece from the top. You can see red stuff in and around the edges of the piece. Again, the only darkness that is due to rot or it being open overnight is the peel itself, everything else that's dark on the banana is the red stuff.
http://www.brinkleys.org/users/tsl/Files/0117070729a.jpg

We got them at Ukrops... not sure how big they are but there's a bunch of them in Virginia. We got about a dozen or so, so we'll be taking them back and getting our few dollars back.

drmoze
01-17-07, 11:54 AM
I would recommend getting a real camera! Not sure I see anything red there...

GradVT06
01-17-07, 12:03 PM
I would recommend getting a real camera! Not sure I see anything red there...

Everything on the banana itself that isn't regular banana yellow is red. It may not quite look red but it's medium-dark red color that looks exactly like strawberry or possibly a little darker like raspberry jam.

We have a real camera, but my wife has it at school where she's taking pictures for some school stuff she's doing with her kids... I dunno what.

Probably just some fungus or something... but those bananas are going back!

jonw9
01-17-07, 12:25 PM
Maybe the bananas were grown in diatomaceous earth, and what you see are the wounds?

Bronkster
01-17-07, 02:04 PM
Wait! I can see the Virgin Mary! And she's crying tears of blood! Quick! Ebay!

Numanoid
01-17-07, 02:17 PM
You don't return fruit. Fruit is a gamble. You know that going in.

GradVT06
01-17-07, 02:36 PM
You don't return fruit. Fruit is a gamble. You know that going in.

-confused-

I'm not sure what you're smokin or how often you get diseased fruit but I'm damn sure I'm returning this stuff! I bought it last night and wasn't home 10 minutes before we peeled the banana. Buying used cars at an auction without inspecting them is a gamble, buying fresh food at the grocery store is not.

tasha99
01-17-07, 03:37 PM
Yeah, not returning them would be silly.

Numanoid
01-17-07, 03:48 PM
I see that my Seinfeld references are wasted on you people. I'll go back to "what I'm smokin".

GradVT06
01-17-07, 03:54 PM
I see that my Seinfeld references are wasted on you people. I'll go back to "what I'm smokin".

Sorry, I never watched the show. I tried.. but just never found it funny or entertaining.

Ranger
01-17-07, 03:55 PM
frankly, I think only the very cheap would return something like fruit. :) I mean, for pete's sake, bananas are probably around 40 cents a pound. it's probably the cheapest fruit and the first to rot.

if I thought there a serious problem with the fruit and I actually cared about the store, I would call the manager about it.

Numanoid
01-17-07, 04:26 PM
Yeah, you'll probably burn more money in gas or on a phone call than you'll make on the refund.

Minor Threat
01-17-07, 04:27 PM
Its bananathrax.....

brainee
01-17-07, 04:39 PM
I like bananas and have never seen anything like this. Looks like a funky kind of rot to me. But that's always brown/black, so I don't know. I do know that I've read a number of horror stories that start with a guy taking a bite of something funny looking, and it never turns out well. Throw them out and cut your losses. Or if you're so inclined, return to the store and demand the manager take a bite of your banana, proving its safety (otherwise giving you your money back).

GradVT06
01-17-07, 04:57 PM
I'll be taking them back and getting my money back, as I now have to go to another store to buy the bananas we want. It's not a big deal because I'll be very close by getting my hair cut tonight.

I was just wondering if anyone had ever seen anything like that before... obviously no one here has, anyway.