Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Crowded House: Farewell to the World: 10th Anniversary Edition [DVD]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-07, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone Picking this up?
Old 01-16-07, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know.

Their only song I know is Don't Dream It's Over. I downloaded it a few weeks back and haven't got it out of my head since. Great song. I've been meaning to check out some of their other stuff to see if I like it as much.
Old 01-16-07, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Lee Harvey Oswald
Don't know.

Their only song I know is Don't Dream It's Over. I downloaded it a few weeks back and haven't got it out of my head since. Great song. I've been meaning to check out some of their other stuff to see if I like it as much.
How dare you forget "Something So Strong".
Old 01-16-07, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I've heard the cd version of the show. It's good.
Old 01-16-07, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
How dare you forget "Something So Strong".
Can't forget something I haven't heard. The title doesn't ring a bell. I'll check it out.
Old 01-17-07, 06:47 AM

I've had a double CD set of this for years. It's a great show. What's the difference between the deluxe DVD and the regular 2 disc DVD? I can't seem to find much info.
Old 01-17-07, 08:10 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Do both Finns play this show?
Old 01-17-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Lee Harvey Oswald
Can't forget something I haven't heard. The title doesn't ring a bell. I'll check it out.
If you are a fan of 80s music, I'd be surprised if you didn't hear this one.

Something So Strong
Could carry...us away
Something So Strong
[something else]...today

More words I can't remember. Who knows. Probably something about love.
Old 01-17-07, 01:32 PM

Anyone know who would have the best prices on this. I would be interested in the delux edition of the DVD as well as the CD. All the B&M's I went to today do not have either except FYE and they only have the CD for $26 OUCH!
Old 01-17-07, 02:35 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
For those on the fence, I highly recommend picking up a copy of Crowded Houses' Recurring Dream CD, it's a 2 disc set. Disc 1 is a greatest hits compilation and disc 2 is live. Great music from a great band!

I've been collecting music from the Finn brothers since they became popular on KROQ in the early 1980's when they were in the Split Enz. CH is one of those bands that I can listen to every track without having to skip ahead, solid stuff! So, start with Recurring Dream, then purchase everything else. Their CD's can usually be found pretty cheap in the 'used' section of any good 'mom and pop' shop.

Last edited by hal9000; 01-18-07 at 02:25 AM.
Old 01-17-07, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Do both Finns play this show?
For a handful of the latter numbers, yes! But not the entire show.
Old 01-18-07, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Love this band. I have heard the double disc CD of this show and was slightly disappointed with their short version of "Throw Your Arms Around Me" (not sure why they only seemed to sing the chorus a few times). I'm assuming the DVD performance is exactly the same as the CD, yeah?
Old 01-18-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had no idea this was out. Thanks, OP. Something else has been added to my Amazon wishlist. Any Crowded House fans pick this up yet and would you recommend the CD, DVD, or both?
Old 01-18-07, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Love this band. I have heard the double disc CD of this show and was slightly disappointed with their short version of "Throw Your Arms Around Me" (not sure why they only seemed to sing the chorus a few times). I'm assuming the DVD performance is exactly the same as the CD, yeah?
I'll have to double check when I get home as I have only watched it once about 6 weeks ago but I don't recall ANY songs being choruses only. I could be wrong but am pretty sure they performed the whole song.

BTW - "Throw Your Arms..." was written by the bass player's brother Mark Seymour from The Hunters and Collectors (a very successful Aussie band for those not in the know) and has been suggested as an alternative National Anthem (but I'm not sure why - great song but a National Anthem???).

In Australia, I would argue that H and C had as good a following as Crowded Houise even though they too broke up a few years back after about 20 years together.
Old 01-18-07, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jippy
I had no idea this was out. Thanks, OP. Something else has been added to my Amazon wishlist. Any Crowded House fans pick this up yet and would you recommend the CD, DVD, or both?
I have the DVD and yes would recommend it without hesitation. A top band in full flight with the original line-up at their very last performance, 100 000 fans on the steps of the Opera House in Sydney Harbour - a sunset gig! Brilliant!
Old 01-19-07, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by hal9000
For those on the fence, I highly recommend picking up a copy of Crowded Houses' Recurring Dream CD, it's a 2 disc set. Disc 1 is a greatest hits compilation and disc 2 is live. Great music from a great band!
There is also a single disc edition of Recurring Dream available (no live), or at least I've got it.

I was just listening to the Australian band The Whitlams yesterday, and wondering whether many of those who like Crowded House also like The Whitlams, or if I'm the only one. There is something similar to the mood of the two bands, I feel.
Old 01-19-07, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Some of this show will be on VH-1 Classics tonight.

Why America never really got this band is beyond me. Neil Finn is one of the best songwriters since Lennon and McCartney and they had a totally radio friendly sound. Distant Sun, Into Temptation, World Where You Live and Weather With You (and many more) should have been massive hits in the US.

Last edited by cungar; 01-19-07 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-19-07, 09:28 AM

This show has been floating around on several different bootleg cds over the years, and it was released by the CH fan club on VHS a looooong time ago. IIRC, Tim Finn makes a guest appearance, but does not play for the entire show. he was only part of CH for a short stint as, frankly, he didn't really fit in as a sideman to his brother. it is a good show, but it is also a very produced show, i.e., it lacks the spontaneity and general craziness that was crowded house. to be expected however, with the magnitude of the show - in front of like 100,000 people and broadcast live - but not the best performance from the boys. nevertheless, i highly recommend the dvd and cd.

the only difference between the deluxe edition and standard edition is the cover art. the deluxe edition features the concept artwork for the farewell show. afaik, the content of the discs is identical.

Recurring Dream, the hits package, is somewhat difficult to find in its 2 disc incarnation. it was a limited edition from the UK and Australia when released back in the late 90s. the 2nd disc was a hodge podge of classics and obscure tracks taken from a variety of live shows during their tenure. as a beginner, i would not spend a lot of money for it, but for a fan, it is essential. i'd highly recommend joining the fan club as well as they release several cds and dvds per year of live and unreleased material from all things finn related (split enz, ch, finn brothers, neil finn, tim finn, etc). i think they may have a moratorium on CH live discs though. they've released like 30 over the last 10 years.

i'd highly recommend neil finn's one nil (the us title is one all, but the us version has a different track selection and different mixes; hunt down the import one nil as it is a better disc IMHO) and second finn brothers record, everyone is here, as well. great discs.

currently neil finn is finishing up his third solo record to be released some time this year, and tim finn just released another solo record.
Old 01-19-07, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by atlantamoi

that was very typical of CH during live shows. they were a very spontaneous band that improvised quite a bit. most shows featured snippets of songs whilst tuning up, etc. so that is probably the case with throw your arms around me. i can't recall as i haven't watched the new discs yet, and haven't watched the homemade version in a long time.

my favorite memory -- they would encourage requests at shows via paper airplanes. . .
Old 01-19-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by redhenry
BTW - "Throw Your Arms..." was written by the bass player's brother Mark Seymour from The Hunters and Collectors (a very successful Aussie band for those not in the know) and has been suggested as an alternative National Anthem (but I'm not sure why - great song but a National Anthem???).

In Australia, I would argue that H and C had as good a following as Crowded Houise even though they too broke up a few years back after about 20 years together.
Yeah, really love H&C and have been pushing myself to pick up all their material pre-Human Frailty on CD (have most of it on vinyl). Great band that took a pretty quick dive from the heights of Human. I was lucky to see them live on my first trip to London ('88). Fantastic show.

So, you live in Australia, huh? That's pretty cool. So many incredible bands from that way.

Oh, I saw Crowded House on their Woodface tour and for some reason the Farewell CD didn't seem quite as good as I remembered them live, but as was mentioned they did do that show in less than intimate circumstances.
Old 01-19-07, 08:26 PM

I'll have to double check when I get home as I have only watched it once about 6 weeks ago but I don't recall ANY songs being choruses only. I could be wrong but am pretty sure they performed the whole song.

***UPDTAE***.. "Throw Your Arms..." is choruses only!!!! I have a crap memory obviously. Guess it should not be a great surprise - it is a cover version after all!

Terry
Old 01-20-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I need to get this DVD since I have always really liked this band. I didn't even realize it was available so thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-21-07, 11:24 PM

Neil Finn will announce in the next week or so that Crowded House will reform and audition for a new drummer with views to a world tour - no word on a possible new album or anything like that!

Cheers
Old 01-21-07, 11:36 PM

So, you live in Australia, huh? That's pretty cool. So many incredible bands from that way.
Yeah there are but there are some shite ones as well. Right now there are mostly shite ones.

H & C were at their peak around the "Ghost Nation" album - check it out.
Old 01-22-07, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

H & C were at their peak around the "Ghost Nation" album - check it out.
Ooh, we'll have to disagree on that one! They started losing it the album before and I believe Ghost only had two really good songs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.