Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

A Question About Amazon.co.uk and Customs...

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 01-16-07, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been a while since I bought stuff from amazon.co.uk. I know that they don't charge VAT if outside of the UK but would I be charged a customs fee? I have ordered mostly cds from them and I never had an issue before, have things changed in the last months?

I'm trying to buy some dvds this time but I don't want to be paying an outrageous fee when they enter the US. Have any of you been charged custom fees before?

Thanks for the comments.
Old 01-16-07, 02:14 AM

I'm in CT and I've never had custom fees charged when ordering from them. And my most recent orders have arrived 4 or 5 days after being shipped (seems faster than when I started ordering from them years ago).
Old 01-16-07, 02:36 AM

I order from them semi regularly and as long as I keep the order to £120 or less, I have no problems with customs

(New Zealand BTW)
Old 01-16-07, 02:54 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. Is it true my tv won't play a pal dvd? I have a regionless dvd player so would it depend on the dvd player or the tv? By the way I am in California, USA.
Old 01-16-07, 03:51 AM

As long as your DVD player converts PAL to NTSC the DVDs should play fine. Do you know if your player handles the conversion?
Old 01-16-07, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have ordered from them at least 20 times and have never had to pay customs. I don't think I have ever had an order over about 75 pounds however.
Old 01-16-07, 07:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I picked up Disney's Rocket Man from Amazon.uk recently since Disney apparently is never going to release it here. Funny movie. When I got my credit card bill the conversion ended up being closer to 2x than 1.5x. BTW a cheap Philips 642 can easily be made region free and will play Pal discs with no problem.
Old 01-16-07, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by conehead433
I picked up Disney's Rocket Man from Amazon.uk recently since Disney apparently is never going to release it here. Funny movie. When I got my credit card bill the conversion ended up being closer to 2x than 1.5x. BTW a cheap Philips 642 can easily be made region free and will play Pal discs with no problem.
You made my day. The Philips 642 is actually the dvd player I have. I'm going to take the plunge then and get the Ally McBeal dvds along with their superior version of Twin Peaks season 1. Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 01-17-07, 05:21 PM

In Canada, I get charged customs on every amazon.co.uk order. It never fails, I think the CDN customs agents flag packages from amazon.
Old 01-17-07, 05:40 PM

it was available

Originally Posted by conehead433
check it out here, http://www.amazon.com/Rocketman-Roge...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd, although I think you were better off getting the region 2 disk
Old 01-22-07, 11:23 AM

I believe the rule of thumb in the US is that you won't be hit with customs charges as long as the merchandise total is under US$200.