Reload this Page >

Suncoast Back & With Better Prices!

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 01-13-07, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suncoast and Sam Goody both went out of business at my mall, but I was in there today, and Suncoast is back open. They had tons of really cheap used DVDs, and a bunch of different sales going on. They had a lot of the same stuff that FYE has (price wise), so I'm thinking maybe they're owned by the same name/company.

They had the following:

WWE:
All recent month PPVs $12.99
Wrestlemania 22 $7.99
Hulk Hogan: The Ultimate Anthology $14.99
Roddy Piper DVD $14.99
History of the WWE Championship $14.99
Tribute to the Troops (w/ dogtag) $.99 (But rings up FREE)

They had a bunch of boxed sets on sale:

Brady Bunch $19.99
Married with Children $19.99
Dawson's Creek $19.99
Boomtown $9.99
Happy Days $14.99
Punk'd $12.99

Various other things were on sale too...$5.99s, 3 for $19...nothing too great, but definitely better than before they closed.
Old 01-13-07, 10:48 PM

Suncoast, Sam Goody, Coconuts, FYE, etc. all have the same corporate owner. I'm sure before too long they will all be under the FYE name (which is a horrible idea)...
Old 01-13-07, 11:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was surprised to find Suncoast resurrected at one of my local malls as well, but was less shocked to see it has returned as an FYE drone. I'm glad it's there, though, just so I can have somewhere in the mall to go when my wife is looking in other stores. But I have to wonder, if Suncoast v1 couldn't make it, due to having to sell everything at list price in order to survive in a mall (so they said), who would be crazy enough to bring it right back, selling the same type of products, under the same name? What kind of business sense is that??
Old 01-13-07, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Suncoast at our local mall never closed. There is also an FYE. FYE focus is mainly music, Suncoast is DVD, I dont know that you will see Suncoast go away totally, unless FYE also goes away.
Old 01-14-07, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BKenn01
The Suncoast at our local mall never closed. There is also an FYE. FYE focus is mainly music, Suncoast is DVD, I dont know that you will see Suncoast go away totally, unless FYE also goes away.
FYE going away isn't entirely unlikely considering the demise of Sam Goody and Tower Records in the past year, and National Record Mart a few years earlier. The mall music store is an endangered species thanks to Wal-Mart and the other big box stores.
Old 01-14-07, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DiedLaughing
Suncoast, Sam Goody, Coconuts, FYE, etc. all have the same corporate owner. I'm sure before too long they will all be under the FYE name (which is a horrible idea)...

Most suncoasts won't change because of their specific niche groups and that fact they focus on movies. But yeah TWEC bought em out.
Old 01-14-07, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NitroJMS
FYE going away isn't entirely unlikely considering the demise of Sam Goody and Tower Records in the past year, and National Record Mart a few years earlier. The mall music store is an endangered species thanks to Wal-Mart and the other big box stores.
sg and tower failed because of their inability to adapt and change with the new musical landscape. twec is always changing to fit the new scheme, and now with their used program they should be good to go for a long time. they are the only major retailer that deals with used I believe.
Old 01-14-07, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They still want MSRP for "The Simpsons" season 9, online.
Old 01-14-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

any company (Suncoast, et al) that continues to think they will stay in business by charging $5-7 MORE for a DVD than stores like Best Buy (or even WM) will never thrive. In-mall music stores are the same way .. why would you pay $17 for a CD just because you are at the mall, when a short hop to WM or BB would save you $5 .. That adds up.
Old 01-14-07, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by NitroJMS
FYE going away isn't entirely unlikely considering the demise of Sam Goody and Tower Records in the past year, and National Record Mart a few years earlier.
Sam Goody didn't completely demise. I was just at the one in Exton, PA a couple weeks ago. Suncoast, Sam Goody, and Media Play were all owned by MusicLand. In 2006 they closed all the Media Plays, most of the Sam Goodys, and some of the Suncoasts. Soon after they were bought out by TWEC, who already owned the FYE, Coconuts, Strawberries, etc. store brands. Now the pricing/inventory/sales at the old Musicland stores is the same as FYE, and they even have the same rebate offers. One big difference I still see is that Suncoast still carries a lot more movie collectibles, toys, and merchandise than any of the other stores usually do. Not just old stock either, they keep getting in lots of brand new merchandise.

Their DVD prices may not always be the best, but a lot of their rebate offers have been the best deal around for some older DVDs and lately even a lot of newer DVDs. Remember the $5 2-disc special edition sale last year with JFK, Lost Boys, True Romance, etc.? The lowest some of those titles got throughout the year was $8 during a Best Buy B1G1F sale. As for newer DVDs, I think the Deluxe Pirates of the Carribean 2 was only about $12 there after rebate.
Old 01-14-07, 10:07 PM

I can confirm the prices on the WWE DVDs, although Tribute To The Troops did ring up at 99 Cents for me. Didn't really have enough time to look around the whole store since my wife and kid wanted to leave.
Old 01-15-07, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only DVD I ever bought in Suncoast was the Matrix box set when it was reduced to $35. Otherwise I only go in there to hunt down clearance priced action figures and other pop culture trinkets.
Old 01-15-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There prices, like Towers, have always been too high.
Old 01-16-07, 06:51 AM

oddly enough my suncoast just started its closing process. They did not have any of these prices. Does anyone knopw if FYE store would have the same prices? I really wanted the tribute to the troops dvd.
Old 01-16-07, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, for some reason, here in NYC, there are FYEs all over the place and they seem to be thriving...Problem is here, its a pain in the ass to get to a Target, BB, CC, and there are no Wal-Marts. Also, the selection at these stores is usually much better than BB or CC and the help is usually infinitely better. Finding decent customer service at the big box stores in the city is like finding a clean subway car.
Old 01-16-07, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Well, for some reason, here in NYC, there are FYEs all over the place and they seem to be thriving...Problem is here, its a pain in the ass to get to a Target, BB, CC, and there are no Wal-Marts. Also, the selection at these stores is usually much better than BB or CC and the help is usually infinitely better. Finding decent customer service at the big box stores in the city is like finding a clean subway car.

Sooooo true! I hate that there are no Wal-marts anywhere around here, and Target, BB and CC are a trip out of the way.
Old 01-16-07, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NeilJ
oddly enough my suncoast just started its closing process. They did not have any of these prices. Does anyone knopw if FYE store would have the same prices? I really wanted the tribute to the troops dvd.

The FYE store did have the same price, but I think there was only 1 left. My Suncoast had a lot more in stock.
Old 01-16-07, 08:51 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

YMMV. Suncoast seems to just be having a post-holiday sale with varying selections from store to store.
Old 01-16-07, 12:29 PM

Well I checked FYE at lunch today and no luck with the Tribute to the Troops dvd. If anyone is feeling kind hearted and wants to snag me a copy I can send paypal their way to cover the dvd and shipping as well as a couple of bucks for the trouble. Just drop me an e-mail and I would be forever grateful.
Old 01-18-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, congrats on getting your suncoast back. But one of my two remaining stores IS NOW CLOSING!!! They started 4 days ago, and they will close for good on Jan. 22. I am extremely depressed about this...
Old 01-18-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The one I went to in Monterey was closing. Got a 24 shirt and an Aliens lightbox for $11 total.

= J
Old 01-18-07, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino
The one I went to in Monterey was closing. Got a 24 shirt and an Aliens lightbox for $11 total.

= J

Aliens lightbox? Do you mean the 3-D Poster? Where the egg lights up?
Old 01-19-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's the one.

= J
Old 01-19-07, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino
That's the one.

= J

That is an awesome price. Those things are brand new and go for $20-$25.
Old 01-19-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Suncoast prices on new releases are actually very good. Most are $10.99 after rebate if you have their backstage card (12.99 without). And of course, you can find rare collectibles there you can't find anywhere else (including the internet). I'll miss my Suncoast... I picked up an Alien and Jaws 3-D poster for $11 each. Not as good as the deal you got, but good enough for me. Especially since I used a gift card...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.