Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Movie Posters?

Old 01-11-07, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Movie Posters

I am looking to purchase some framed movie posters and was wondering where the best place to get them from was. Thanks for any help
Old 01-11-07, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrong forum but you might want to take a look at http://www.allposters.com or htp://www.moviegoods.com . Also if you're looking for a hard to find item or original poster there's always ebay, that's where I get most of mine.

Luck!
Old 01-11-07, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts
www.5dollarposters.com

Theyre all 24x36 but theyre cheap and shipped fast.
Old 01-11-07, 11:28 PM

Sorry for the thread hijack, but where would a good place be to get cheap poster frames?
Old 01-11-07, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts
Michael's. They run sales about once a month. Garden Ridge(not sure how widespread they are) has them for usually the same price as Michaels.
Old 01-11-07, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I buy the posters on Ebay, and then just use cheap ($20) frames from Wal-Mart to frame them.
Old 01-26-07, 11:17 AM

Walgreens has poster frames for around $13-$15. I know, I couldn't believe it either... About a month ago, I drove by and the sign said that they were b1g1. I didn't need any at the time, but now that I'm thinking about it, I really should have picked some up.

So if you have a Walgreens in your area, check them out. They're real cheap, but it gets the job done.
Old 01-26-07, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by OwlAtHome
Wrong forum but you might want to take a look at http://www.allposters.com or htp://www.moviegoods.com . Also if you're looking for a hard to find item or original poster there's always ebay, that's where I get most of mine.

Luck!

You can also buy from allposters.com via Amazon. They have quite a few 27x40 reprints there at $2.98 and up

link
Old 02-16-07, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I need to find some 27x40 frames. Any thoughts?
Old 02-16-07, 05:28 PM

Get the frames in the furniture section of Wal-Mart. $20, plastic, pretty nice.
Old 02-16-07, 06:01 PM
Cool New Member

I'd recommend having them "dry-mounted" at Michael's. They basically glue the poster to a hard backing and I think it even has a thin protective cover on the poster itself. It looks sharp, costs about $35 and is very light.

Next time you drive by a Michael's pop in and go to the framing desk. Have them show you an example of a dry-mounted poster. I just had one done recently - much cheaper than professional framing and much sharper looking than buying a cheap@ss frame and going low budget with an all purpose plastic frame.
Old 02-16-07, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by edgeofepic
I'd recommend having them "dry-mounted" at Michael's. They basically glue the poster to a hard backing and I think it even has a thin protective cover on the poster itself. It looks sharp, costs about $35 and is very light.

Next time you drive by a Michael's pop in and go to the framing desk. Have them show you an example of a dry-mounted poster. I just had one done recently - much cheaper than professional framing and much sharper looking than buying a cheap@ss frame and going low budget with an all purpose plastic frame.
We saw that option at the local craft store but we don't want to do that because of the kids and cats. Ideally we'd have a lightweight plastic frame and pexiglass but the only way to do that is to go custom. $$$
Old 02-16-07, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by svrasputin
27X40? We can't find them anywhere...
Old 02-16-07, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by edgeofepic

If your buying the poster as a collectible, absolutely do not get it dry-mounted as it will be worth nothing. If is just a reprint or cheap poster it is probably OK, but I would prefer a frame myself.
Old 02-16-07, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
27X40? We can't find them anywhere...
The best source for 27X40 frames, IMO, is Aaron Bros. The wood frame and plexiglass ones run $24.99, but there are usually 40% off coupons in the Sunday paper every couple of months. In Jan., they also ran their annual one cent sale. It was basically BOGO (or about $13 each).

Another option is Michael's. They have some quality frames for about $29.99 apiece, but there are 40% off coupons every Sun. in the paper cutting the price almost in half.

We have almost 30 movie posters around our home and aside from the Aaron Bros. custom framed one (that was $450), they're in either of the frames I mentioned above.

ETA: There are cheaper poster frames available at Michael's and Aaron Bros., but I've found that the lightweight wood framed ones ($24.99) fit modern 27X40 posters the best.

Last edited by TimeandTide; 02-16-07 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-16-07, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you want a better quality frame then those you can find local (and have something that is worth putting in a better frame) I would reccomend:

http://www.hollywoodposterframes.com/

A lot of people with nicer posters use them. You can get their cheapest version for $50 shipped (I believe you have to purchase in pairs). I think they also sell on eBay for about the same price.
Old 02-16-07, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
The best source for 27X40 frames, IMO, is Aaron Bros. The wood frame and plexiglass ones run $24.99, but there are usually 40% off coupons in the Sunday paper every couple of months. In Jan., they also ran their annual one cent sale. It was basically BOGO (or about $13 each).

Another option is Michael's. They have some quality frames for about $29.99 apiece, but there are 40% off coupons every Sun. in the paper cutting the price almost in half.

We have almost 30 movie posters around our home and aside from the Aaron Bros. custom framed one (that was $450), they're in either of the frames I mentioned above.

ETA: There are cheaper poster frames available at Michael's and Aaron Bros., but I've found that the lightweight wood framed ones ($24.99) fit modern 27X40 posters the best.
So Michael's has the 27x40 size?!? That's awesome! Thank you so much.
Old 02-16-07, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Big Dave
If you want a better quality frame then those you can find local (and have something that is worth putting in a better frame) I would reccomend:

http://www.hollywoodposterframes.com/

A lot of people with nicer posters use them. You can get their cheapest version for $50 shipped (I believe you have to purchase in pairs). I think they also sell on eBay for about the same price.
What I have:
"Forbidden Planet"
"King Kong"
"Superman"

These are all posters that were freebies when you bought the dvds. I don't think they're anything special but I could be wrong.
Old 02-16-07, 10:19 PM

So Michael's has the 27x40 size?!? That's awesome! Thank you so much.
Michael's has two different 27X40 styles. Stay away from the cheaper version as it's near impossible to align the four "rods" correctly. There's a more expensive poster frame ($30, IIRC) that has a thick, heavy glossy black plastic frame. I used the smaller version of this frame for the 24X36 posters I have in my hallway. They look great.

Have you measured the posters? Many modern movie posters vary by as much as an inch in height and measure 27X39 or 39 1/2. I can't even tell you how many times I've discovered the posters weren't truly 40" and wouldn't properly fit the frame. (And FWIW, most '80s and earlier one sheets measure 27X41.)
Old 02-17-07, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts
Originally Posted by svrasputin
I have never once seen 27 x 40 at WalMart.
Old 02-17-07, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,221 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Really? I've picked up quite a few 27x40 frames from a number of different Wal-Marts.
Old 02-17-07, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yup, I've picked up about 3 27x40 frames at walmart. Best bang for your buck when it comes to poster frames.
Old 02-17-07, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Is your Wal*Mart a Supercenter? That may be the reason. I live very close to a Wal*Mart Supercenter and they carry the 27 x 40 movie poster frames for $20 each. I've purchased three of them and they are very nice. The Wal*Mart I work at (in a town further away) is a regular discount store and they don't carry them. Maybe only the Supercenters have them?
Old 02-17-07, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank you, everyone! I will make sure the posters are, in fact, 27x40 before I go shopping. I'm so happy I won't have to pay out the butt for custom framing.
Old 02-17-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What I have:
"Forbidden Planet"
"King Kong"
"Superman"

These are all posters that were freebies when you bought the dvds. I don't think they're anything special but I could be wrong.
They are probably a bit nicer then the regular reproductions since they are issued by the studios, but will never be worth more then $25-50, so you might just want to go with the cheaper local frames.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.