Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk reviews for January 9th, 2007

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-07, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Review DB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Below are DVD Talk's reviews for January 9th, 2007. For a complete list of reviews, visit the review index.

RECOMMENDED
Crank by Preston Jones
Kingdom of Heaven - Director's Cut (Blu-ray) by Joshua Zyber
Last Dispatch by Thomas Spurlin
Walker, Texas Ranger - The Complete Second Season by Ian Jane

RENT IT
Love Circles by Svet Atanasov

SKIP IT
Christina by Svet Atanasov

Old 04-06-11, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: DVD Talk reviews for January 9th, 2007

I watched Kingdom of Heaven last weekend, and while I understand where the reviewer is coming from with the commentary below (it is true that the hero in adventure movies often undergoes an unbelievable metamorphosis), I am not sure that I agree with his assessment in this particular case.

Most problematic is the character of Balian, whose growth from poor village blacksmith to Baron of Ibelin, knight, and eventually savior of Jerusalem is much too unrealistically expedited, even with the added development in this version of the movie. After just a single lesson, Balian becomes a master swordsman able to defeat more experienced foes. During the battle of Jerusalem, he's revealed from out of nowhere to be a keen military strategist and great leader of men, delivering inspirational speeches and single-handedly saving the city from thousands of attackers.
To begin, there is dialogue indicating that Balian engaged in warfare in the past (see imdb.com quote below). Moreover, given that he is a blacksmith, it makes sense for Balian to possess some facility with weapons.

Odo: Have you been at war?
Balian of Ibelin: On horse. And as an engineer also.
Odo: Against whom and for whom did you fight?
Balian of Ibelin: For one lord against another, on a point which cannot be remembered.
Concerning the siege of Jerusalem, Balian lived among other knighted aristocrats for years, so it is not unreasonable to assume that he learned a thing or two about military strategy during that time. Two YEARS passed between King Baldwin's death and the decisive Battle of Hattin! More importantly, the siege lasted only 9 days. In comparison to other sieges of antiquity, this is a fairly short period of time.

Finally, many other people obviously supported his efforts to repel the attack on Jerusalem. Balian's main accomplishment was negotiation of favorable terms of surrender.
Old 04-07-11, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: DVD Talk reviews for January 9th, 2007

Crank is coming to DVD? Amazing!