Reload this Page >

Looks like my "Simpsons - 4th Season" disc 2 has a scratch

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-06-07, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This SUCKS!!! And the scratch is right in the middle of the Mr. Plow episode, too!

Obviously you can't replace just one disc in a box set - you'd have to rebuy the whole set again, wouldn't you. (its not really a question, as you can see by the period.)

God, this can get expensive. I haven't for the life of me know how that scratch got there. I handle my discs so carefully my wife thinks I got OCD. And nobody else touches these discs, so I guess the cat did it while I was asleep. He went to the cabinet, took down the set of his choice, opened it up with his cat thumbs, took disc 2 out, put a little minute scratch at will, replaced it all, and went back to sleep for another 20 hours.

The cat from Hell. Now what do I do?? (more of a cry of frustration than a real question, as I know what I have to do - buy the whole thing over again.)
Old 01-06-07, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
There is a "disk repair kit" that's sold at most stores that sell DVDs. It's by Maxell, costs about a buck. All it is really, is some polish-like solution that you rub into the scratch to smooth out. Someone on here once recommended using Brasso which is probably the same thing, only cheaper.

It worked for me on my Lawrence of Arabia Superbit, which I bought "new" on half.com. Disk one was a bloody floater, which had probably been floating for years inside the OOP sealed case....but I digress.

There's also a thread on here about boiling a DVD. I've never tried it, but that thread is about 10 pages long! Just search for keyword "boil". Good luck!
Old 01-06-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A buddy of mine told me about rubbing hand sanitizer on the scratch too. I only tried that trick on a scratched CD and it worked for me, but the scratches weren't that deep.