Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Night at the Museum'

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-07, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Brian Orndorf's DVD review of Night at the Museum at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=25760 and...

Although Yes, it wasn't the best acting in the world, my 11 and 7 year old newphews absolutely LOVED this movie.

I think you have to take that into consideration when reviewing this film. It is PG-13, and not really aimed at adults in which your review seemed aimed at.

You should take a couple kids with you into see this movie in the theather and you will really enjoy it for what it is, a fun holiday movie to take the kids to while Mom finishes all the errands.

-Carl
Old 01-06-07, 08:08 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This movie is crap, shit and shite; there's no two ways about it, and I'm getting so sick of this "well, it's great for the kids" crap. No, it isn't. Will they get a kick out of it? Sure. Should we, as parents, try to cultivate a higher appreciation for quality entertainment (and yes, that includes comedy)? Most assuredly, yes. Shit in, shit out. Let's step it up, parents, or we'll end up with something even worse than Generation Y.
Old 01-07-07, 01:50 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
I just read this at Yahoo!:

"Ben Stiller's 'Night at the Museum' took in $24 million to stay on top at the box office for a third-straight weekend, fending off a soft crop of newcomers during the post-holiday lull."

To which I respond, please, someone shoot me in the friggin' face.
Old 01-07-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
This movie is crap, shit and shite; there's no two ways about it, and I'm getting so sick of this "well, it's great for the kids" crap. No, it isn't. Will they get a kick out of it? Sure. Should we, as parents, try to cultivate a higher appreciation for quality entertainment (and yes, that includes comedy)? Most assuredly, yes. Shit in, shit out. Let's step it up, parents, or we'll end up with something even worse than Generation Y.
Woah, champ. Settle down there. This wasn't supposed to be Casablanca. I saw it last night. It wasn't spectacular, but it wasn't terrible. It had some good laughs and was entertaining.
Old 01-07-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

[Quteo]This movie is crap, shit and shite; there's no two ways about it, and I'm getting so sick of this "well, it's great for the kids" crap. No, it isn't. Will they get a kick out of it? Sure. Should we, as parents, try to cultivate a higher appreciation for quality entertainment (and yes, that includes comedy)? Most assuredly, yes. Shit in, shit out. Let's step it up, parents, or we'll end up with something even worse than Generation Y.[/Quote]

I'd gurantee that your parents sat thru movies they considered "shit" when you were younger. Not every film needs to have some high puprose or high-brow comedy. It's a decent film for little kids, nothing more.
Old 01-07-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=488081

This thread was mostly about NatM's huge totals and debating its worth. I'm starting to get a bit worried about Filmmaker's blood pressure if NatM keeps winning weekends though . I finally saw this on IMAX this weekend and thought it was pretty good. I agree that it kind of fell apart at the end, but not offensively so. The kids in the audience really seemed to enjoy it, so it's certainly serving it's intended purpose as far as everything I've heard.
Old 01-07-07, 02:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
This movie is crap, shit and shite; there's no two ways about it, and I'm getting so sick of this "well, it's great for the kids" crap.
Have you seen the film? Did you see it with kids? Do you even have kids?

Bottom line: if you aren't a parent, this movie shouldn't even be on your radar. And you shouldn't care who is seeing it or why. Simply stay at home, and watch the masterpiece that is The Scorpion King.
Old 01-07-07, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Let's step it up, parents, or we'll end up with something even worse than Generation Y.
Save your vitriol for something other than a harmless Ben Stiller vehicle that has a positive message. I took my 4-year old to this last weekend. He loved it. That alone earns the film a thumbs-up from me.

Curious as to what you consider "quality entertainment" for a child.
Old 01-07-07, 04:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deftones
Woah, champ. Settle down there. This wasn't supposed to be Casablanca. I saw it last night. It wasn't spectacular, but it wasn't terrible. It had some good laughs and was entertaining.
Ah, you must have seen some exclusive director's cut. I just saw the regular one with no laughs (save for Ricky Gervais, who was a riot--what was he doing wasting away in this tripe?).
Old 01-07-07, 04:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LivingINClip
I'd gurantee that your parents sat thru movies they considered "shit" when you were younger. Not every film needs to have some high puprose or high-brow comedy. It's a decent film for little kids, nothing more.
Your presumption is unfounded, unwarranted and unwelcome. And if this represents decent entertainment for your kids, then I will take great pleasure in watching them work for my son one day.
Old 01-07-07, 04:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Groucho
Have you seen the film? Did you see it with kids? Do you even have kids?

Bottom line: if you aren't a parent, this movie shouldn't even be on your radar. And you shouldn't care who is seeing it or why. Simply stay at home, and watch the masterpiece that is The Scorpion King.
Get ready to have your presumptous world shattered, Groucho--YES, I am the proud parent of an extraordinary two-year-old boy, and your tired dig at THE SCORPION KING means you've already been reading the other NatM thread and already know this, which makes you sad.
Old 01-07-07, 05:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Save your vitriol for something other than a harmless Ben Stiller vehicle that has a positive message.
Sorry, I don't remember being on your payroll.

I took my 4-year old to this last weekend. He loved it. That alone earns the film a thumbs-up from me.
Wow, and so I can only assume you find picking your nose to be a blast, then yes?

Curious as to what you consider "quality entertainment" for a child.
Look no further than the other thread to see my recognition of the currently running CHARLOTTE'S WEB.
Old 01-07-07, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So much anger......
Old 01-07-07, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I can't wait to see his posts when Alien Vs. Predator 2 comes out.....
Old 01-07-07, 05:27 PM

Look no further than the other thread to see my recognition of the currently running CHARLOTTE'S WEB.
Yikes.

Ben Stiller slapfighting a monkey = bad for kids.

Farm animal fart jokes = bring the whole family!

Filmmaker, youse be bafflin' me.
Old 01-07-07, 06:57 PM
Banned

Jeez, just can't get over the farts, can you? If you were to take your child to, say, a 4-H club and a bovine were to break wind (which they do--look no further than your signature ), would you promptly pack up your child and drive away in disgust at how offensive the cow's actions were to your child?
Old 01-07-07, 07:14 PM

wow anger, I loved the movie, Thought it was alot of fun, took my nieces and nephews and the range from 7-14 and they all liked the movie. You gotta lighten up Have some fun
Old 01-07-07, 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by maingon
wow anger, I loved the movie, Thought it was alot of fun, took my nieces and nephews and the range from 7-14 and they all liked the movie. You gotta lighten up Have some fun
Give in to mediocrity. Relish in lesser things. Adopt the hive mind. Resistance is futile.

Hey, obviously, I'm on the outs here, and I've devoted faaaaar more time to this embarrassing waste of celluloid than it could ever justify, so no need to admonish me further. I'll let it drop. If NatM is your thing, then I guess that's just the world I'll have to live in. I think it's a sad, sad commentary on the state of what the American populace will accept--nay, champion--as quality family entertainment, and it makes me weep for the future of the generation of Millenials, but them's the breaks. Move along. You guys win.
Old 01-07-07, 08:34 PM

It is sad to see how low standards have sunk to. And it does make people stupider, no question.
Old 01-07-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Give in to mediocrity. Relish in lesser things. Adopt the hive mind. Resistance is futile.

Hey, obviously, I'm on the outs here, and I've devoted faaaaar more time to this embarrassing waste of celluloid than it could ever justify, so no need to admonish me further. I'll let it drop. If NatM is your thing, then I guess that's just the world I'll have to live in. I think it's a sad, sad commentary on the state of what the American populace will accept--nay, champion--as quality family entertainment, and it makes me weep for the future of the generation of Millenials, but them's the breaks. Move along. You guys win.
Jesus Christ, get over yourself. Your opinion is not fact.

Name a kids movie from the 80s that was "quality family entertainment" and I'll name 5 more that would fall into this category of an "embarrassing waste of celluloid." Same goes for the 90s. There are crappy movies made every year. I don't see how generating so much fucking anger on this one is going to do anything, and how rebuking people over a silly kids movie will somehow bring them up to your level. Stop being such a snob.
Old 01-07-07, 09:01 PM

Ben Stiller must have cut Filmmaker off in traffic or something. That's my only explanation for the hate.
Old 01-07-07, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Ben Stiller must have cut Filmmaker off in traffic or something. That's my only explanation for the hate.
Ben Stiller raped Filmmaker's grandmother.
Old 01-07-07, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My God...going to see NaTM is not going define a child for the rest of it's life. No kid is going to take away some groundbreaking message from the movie and carry it with them for the rest of their lives. How does seeing and liking this movie make you weep for the future generation? Dramatic much?

How sad that you're upset living in a world where people enjoy NaTM...like there aren't worse things in the world...
Old 01-07-07, 11:32 PM
Banned

Funny how the same person who whines about crap films listens to crap music like Coldplay and U2.
Old 01-08-07, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Sabrett
No kid is going to take away some groundbreaking message from the movie and carry it with them for the rest of their lives.
You're right, of course. But even if they do, is the message of NatM (and it does have one) so bad? If this film gets kids interested in visiting their own local natural history museums, that's a good thing in my book.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.