Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Any Deals on Farscape??

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Any Deals on Farscape??

Old 01-05-07, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Deals on Farscape??

Does anyone know of where to get the best deals on Farscape?

Thanks

Kate

http://www.cholulared.com
Old 01-05-07, 09:20 PM

You can get 1.1, 1.2 and 2.1 for $6.99 each at bestbuy.com - even with shipping, I think it's a great deal. That's how I started. Then I used other deals from this forum, like the $5 off coupon for familyvideo.com here (this may have expired) and the Google deals (see the thread for the $10 off $10 for new users posted today in this forum here ). I haven't collected them all yet, but I'm getting there!
Old 01-05-07, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lena
You can get 1.1, 1.2 and 2.1 for $6.99 each at bestbuy.com - even with shipping, I think it's a great deal. That's how I started. Then I used other deals from this forum, like the $5 off coupon for familyvideo.com here (this may have expired) and the Google deals (see the thread for the $10 off $10 for new users posted today in this forum here ). I haven't collected them all yet, but I'm getting there!
Those are all excellent suggestions. I should point out that you want to get the Starburst sets, and preferably the 4 disc versions if you have a choice. If you can't get any sets with the above methods, I'd wait for the next DDD sale. They are fairly cheap during that sale...
Old 01-06-07, 12:53 AM

If you go in-store and order from their kiosk , pretty sure you can get each season box set(the big 10-11 disc ones) for $20-30 each.
Old 01-06-07, 01:33 AM

Unfortunately, in this case the season box sets have less features than the subsequent Starburst reissues--which are $6.95 plus any tax shipped at DVDPlanet with the current GCO promotion, and thus about the same price per season anyway.
Old 01-06-07, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are the special features on the Starburst sets worth rebuying the season sets if I already own the original releases?
Old 01-06-07, 05:15 AM

An extra commentary track here and there, and the odd (sometimes fairly substantial) featurette added, as I recall. The original releases were already pretty respectably filled, really. But considering it shouldn't be hard to get from selling the old season sets the cost of a three-Starburst season, it might be worth it.
Old 01-06-07, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

but if I'm trying to collect all the special features, then I'd have to double dip to accomplish that goal, right?

BTW, who do they have doing the extra commentary tracks?
Old 01-06-07, 05:47 AM

It's been a bit since I sold my original sets, but I believe the Starburst sets are cumulative; you're not losing anything in the transition to them.

Unless you have the box sets. In that case you lose the box.

Which actually bugged me, but is ultimately minor in the standard ADV jerk-around, I suppose...
Old 01-06-07, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by runner001
Are the special features on the Starburst sets worth rebuying the season sets if I already own the original releases?
I did. But I had the full season boxes, which I re-sold for MORE than the Starbursts cost me. Thank you, Ebay!!!
Old 01-06-07, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 623 Likes on 457 Posts
Originally Posted by lena
Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Those are all excellent suggestions. I should point out that you want to get the Starburst sets, and preferably the 4 disc versions if you have a choice. If you can't get any sets with the above methods, I'd wait for the next DDD sale. They are fairly cheap during that sale...
For those Starburst sets at bestbuy.com... I got those 3 Starburst sets (1.1, 1.2, and 2.1) from bestbuy.com because of the low price but was a bit skeptical because they are listed as the less desirable and problematic 2 disk versions.

Here's how they are listed:
Farscape 1: Starburst Edition (2 disk)
Farscape 2: Starburst Edition 2 (2 disk)
Farscape 4: Starburst Edition 2.1 (2 disk)

However, I can verify that even though bustbuy.com describes the sets as the 2 disk versions they actually ship the 4 disk versions! Shipping was fast and they arrived in perfect condition. My total with shipping and tax for the 3 sets was $28.45 for an average of $9.48 each. It's a great way to get started collecting Farscape!
Old 01-06-07, 09:50 AM

DVDPlanet also lists the early Starburst seasons as 2 disc. Can anyone confirm if they now ship the 4 disc?
Old 01-06-07, 01:09 PM

I wound up sending the 6 volumes of starburst from seasons 1-2 back to ADV to exchange the 2-disc version for the 4 discs.
I had already watched them, but figured the next time i do I'd like to avoid the problems i had the first time around.
Old 01-06-07, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
For those Starburst sets at bestbuy.com... I got those 3 Starburst sets (1.1, 1.2, and 2.1) from bestbuy.com because of the low price but was a bit skeptical because they are listed as the less desirable and problematic 2 disk versions.

Here's how they are listed:
Farscape 1: Starburst Edition (2 disk)
Farscape 2: Starburst Edition 2 (2 disk)
Farscape 4: Starburst Edition 2.1 (2 disk)

However, I can verify that even though bustbuy.com describes the sets as the 2 disk versions they actually ship the 4 disk versions! Shipping was fast and they arrived in perfect condition. My total with shipping and tax for the 3 sets was $28.45 for an average of $9.48 each. It's a great way to get started collecting Farscape!
I second that - the bestbuy.com sets are the 4 disk version! Sorry, should have mentioned that in my original post.
Old 01-07-07, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by runner001
BTW, who do they have doing the extra commentary tracks?
Most of the new commentaries are done by Ben Browder and Claudia Black, and they're fantastic. Absolutely worth it. Not only are they obviously very good friends and really funny together, but they know their characters and the production process on Farscape inside-out, so you get real insight into the episodes and the John-Aeryn relationship. David Kemper also does a few, including the hilarious "When good shows go bad" commentary for Jeremiah Crichton with Rockne, Ben and Claudia, and a "hidden" commentary with Ben for Dog with Two Bones.

As for the best deals on Starbursts, I used a combo of bestbuy.com and deepdiscountdvd.com.

If you're in Canada, Exyte.com is your best bet.