Reload this Page >

Jake 2.0 (SciFi) 1-5-07 Series premire

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-04-07, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I couldn't find a thread on this yet, I just hapened to be on SciFi's web site and saw this was starting friday (1-5-07) with three back to back episodes. Normally I would assume this is going to be very bad but SciFi has suprised me a few times lately. It's an interesting (if overused) premise, and could be pretty cool if done right. I'll give these first three episodes a chance.

More info here.
Old 01-04-07, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is actually just a canceled show from 2003 that aired on UPN.
Old 01-05-07, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
This is actually just a canceled show from 2003 that aired on UPN.
Really, that may explain it. I don't think I've ever watched a single show on UPN.
Was it any good?
Old 01-05-07, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really, that may explain it. I don't think I've ever watched a single show on UPN. Was it any good?
NO.

Though many people liked it, I thought it sucked. I had the typical “IT” clichés like nerdish, socially inept, techy person working in the super secret NSA. Bleh!!

The guy had a lab accident, was infected with tiny computer nodes, and now has super human ability and the NSA asks him (forces him) to do some spy stuff. It seemed more like a kid show than an action-sci/fi show.
Old 01-05-07, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
That actor is now on Ugly Betty as some geeky accounting guy.
Old 01-05-07, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He was also a fixture on the WB show Popular during its two season run.
Old 01-05-07, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Was it any good?
I thought it was campy/cheesy good fun.
Old 01-05-07, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
I thought it was campy/cheesy good fun.
I agree. Not a great show by any means but I was a little sad when it was cancelled.
Old 01-05-07, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked what I saw of it enough that I'll be re-watching (and catching the episodes I missed) via DVR.
Old 01-05-07, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was it a great show? Not by any means. Taken as camp, it's reasonably enjoyable as Chew states. Did I watch it? Well, Keegan Connor Tracy was in the cast. That was enough for me. I recall a pre-Battlestar Boomer having a couple of small appearances as well.

Last edited by meritocracy; 01-05-07 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-05-07, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
He was also a fixture on the WB show Popular during its two season run.

He was also on the short lived Medical Investigation (which now lives on Universal HD, all 6 episodes!)
Old 01-05-07, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
They tried to hint it was a sort of update of the Six Million Dollar Man by having Lee Majors guest star in a couple of episodes.
Old 01-06-07, 09:19 AM
Mod Emeritus

I've seen a couple of episodes of this on Sky3, a digital channel. One featured Lee Majors and he referred to having been able to run as fast as a car earlier in his life and they did a bit of the $6M sound effects to reinforce the point. Of course he was playing a paranoid ex-agent at the time who was hallucinating!

The reference was mildly amusing a bit like on an episode of NCIS when someone asked what Ducky (played by David McCallum) looked like when he was younger and someone else answered "Illya Kuryakin" - who was played by McCallum in "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." years ago.
Old 01-06-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dgmayor
He was also on the short lived Medical Investigation (which now lives on Universal HD, all 6 episodes!)
That show was so bad (it seemed like Epidemiology for Dummies like that awful film, Outbreak) it almost made me not want to watch the apparently similarly themed House when it premiered a little later. I'm glad I gave House a chance as it did everything right (well, except for evil hospital owner that first year) and MI did everything wrong.
Old 01-06-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't realize that the guy who plays Logan (Matt somethingorother) on Gilmore Girls was the friend of the main character. He seems so different.
Old 01-06-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by movielib
That show was so bad (it seemed like Epidemiology for Dummies like that awful film, Outbreak) it almost made me not want to watch the apparently similarly themed House when it premiered a little later. I'm glad I gave House a chance as it did everything right (well, except for evil hospital owner that first year) and MI did everything wrong.
The good thing about Medical Investigation getting canned after it's 1st year was getting Anna Belknap a chance to do CSI:NY now. Also, Neal McDonough and Kelli Williams are great actors and were wasted on this show.
Old 01-07-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts
I thought I would mention that this show is also on HDNet, for those of you with HD, on Sunday mornings. I have watched a couple eps, though not the first few. I think it's OK. It doesn't surprise me that it was canned so quick, but it's a nice little diversion.
Old 01-07-07, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dgmayor
I actually think that show ran for a full painful season. The premise (on paper) was extremely similar to House - goes to show you what some decent writing and acting can do.

He was also on the short lived sitcoms Happy Family and Out of Practice. Man, this dude sure knows how to picked doomed shows. (I actually have seen every one of the shows mentioned thus far - I sure do enjoy mediocre television)
Old 01-07-07, 09:56 PM

Wasn't this show scheduled against Angel back when it first aired? I remember a lot of people expecting it to be pretty great, in large part because it was produced by David Greenwalt, but I thought it was solidly "meh". Not horrible, but not something I'd go out of my way to catch, though I only saw the first few episodes of the series.
Old 01-08-07, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by clemente
I actually think that show ran for a full painful season. The premise (on paper) was extremely similar to House - goes to show you what some decent writing and acting can do.

He was also on the short lived sitcoms Happy Family and Out of Practice. Man, this dude sure knows how to picked doomed shows. (I actually have seen every one of the shows mentioned thus far - I sure do enjoy mediocre television)
Medical Investigation didn't even get a full season (20 episodes) I think he's turning into another Eric Balfour (either gets written out or the show gets canned)