Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Problem with eBay seller...items missing and damaged...advice please?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 01-04-07, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Didnt know where exactly to post this so please move if necessary. A month and a half ago I purchased 3 home theater speakers from a seller on eBay for $35.00. When the package arrived, it looked like it was going to fall apart any second. When I opened it I found 1 of the 3 speakers was missing and the other 2 were damaged badly. After contacting the seller and asking for a refund, he refused saying the speakers were sold as is (in his auction it stated the speakers were in like new condition) and he blamed the post office telling me to take it up with them. After a few more e mails back and forth there was no reasoning with the seller so I contacted Paypal, who I used to pay him with, and filed a dispute on Nov. 29. Finally, today, Paypal sent me an e mail saying I had to file a report with the local police dept and fax it to them within 10 days or something or my dispute will be closed. There is no way I am bothering the police over $35. I thought about just calling my credit card co. and filing a dispute through them but the seller still gets to keep the money. Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-04-07, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
File the police report. The money may not mean much to you but maybe the action you take will prevent this creep from trying similar things in the future.
Old 01-04-07, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
according to paypal's policy, they are supposed to help you if the item isn't in the condition stated in the auction... if they don't I would definitely file a dispute complaint with the credit card...
Old 01-05-07, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JZ1276
...There is no way I am bothering the police over $35...
You really have three choices here:

1. Get a police report filed. Really not a big deal.

2. Dispute the charge with your credit card and get the money back. Then have paypal charge your account that amount, suspend your account, and eventually send a collection agency after you.

3. Forget about it and chalk it up to bad luck.

Just file the police report, it's really the easiest way.
Old 01-06-07, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 315 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by Heat
You really have three choices here:

2. Dispute the charge with your credit card and get the money back. Then have paypal charge your account that amount, suspend your account, and eventually send a collection agency after you.
Will they really do that? I disputed a charge a few years ago. Paypal found in my favor but only recovered $5. Then I disputed it with my card and got the other $75 (even the shipping I'd paid). Is it because I went through Paypal first, or have they changed?
Old 01-06-07, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 266 Likes on 204 Posts
Is it possible the speakers were damaged in transit? You said the box was falling apart when it came in. Could it have been damaged by the Post Office? If the box was falling apart 1 speaker could possibly have fallen out.

I've never heard of Paypal asking a buyer to file a police report before. It must be a recent policy change as I don't recall reading about it when I signed up with them.
Old 01-06-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by movieguru
Is it possible the speakers were damaged in transit? You said the box was falling apart when it came in. Could it have been damaged by the Post Office? If the box was falling apart 1 speaker could possibly have fallen out.

I've never heard of Paypal asking a buyer to file a police report before. It must be a recent policy change as I don't recall reading about it when I signed up with them.
Thats probably the cause. It looked like the seller did a piss poor job of packaging the speakers and they fell out during shipping.
Old 01-10-07, 09:10 PM

JZ... I've been is your exact position several times. Just call your credit card company. Paypal is useless 99% of the time with disputes.
Old 01-11-07, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Thats probably the cause. It looked like the seller did a piss poor job of packaging the speakers and they fell out during shipping.
It's part of the seller's job to make sure that the items are packaged properly with enough padding for items that may break and to prevent them from banging around in a sturdy, well taped box.

I agree with the others, get the police report, fax it, and tell them you expect to hear from them within 24 hours. It might be too late to dispute with your credit card, which I believe is 45 days from when you receive your statement with the charge on it (I believe that is the case, although I've heard 45 days from date of purchase, but I seem to remember someone correcting that saying it's 45 days from when you receive the statement showing the charge). If you don't hear from paypal, file the dispute if you can until paypal is able to correct the problem. Items damaged in mail is the seller's responsibility, the buyer's.
Old 01-11-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by GradVT06
It's part of the seller's job to make sure that the items are packaged properly with enough padding for items that may break and to prevent them from banging around in a sturdy, well taped box.
Well that's true, but it would be interesting to know if the seller offered shipping insurance, and if the buyer declined. There are some times, that no matter how securely you package your box, the post office will still find a way to mangle it. that's why I always take the insurance option when offered.
Old 01-15-07, 09:03 PM

Please... Please... For the sake of your sanity... Do not use eBay... There is so much fraud and they will not prosecute on your behalf. I watched a special on TV called "The eBay effect" Good program, but horrible company.
Old 01-15-07, 09:13 PM

Your choosing of course... Good luck on your future eBay adventures!