Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

360/Madden Problem. Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-07, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Having a 360 Problem. Need Help!

Hey guys,

Well, here's a quick backstory. Have had the 360 since early August--no problems. Finally buy the HD DVD add on. Play Batman Begins, and it looks and works great. Very next day, though, I pop Madden back in, and it starts freezing up. Happens a couple times. I unhook the add-on, and it works for one or two games in Madden. But the next day or a couple days later, I get four freezes including a problem where the game doesn't freeze, but just shuts off and the picture gets wiped from my screen completely. Can't get through a Madden game it seems.

So, I exchange the 360 for a new one yesterday through the warranty. Got a new hard drive with the 360 and everything (didn't keep my original just to make sure...I have saved everything on MU anyways). Well, I have Madden running currently...and while I can navigate through all the menu's using all the controller buttons, I can NOT use these same buttons on the field. I tried a full game, and pressing buttons like "A" for snap and "B" for the fake snap did NOT work or respond whatsoever. Here's the weird thing...I can call plays using these buttons, but immediately after I call the plays, it's like I don't have control of anything and the buttons don't respond. Almost like they are "locked" or something. Also an odd thing...after I call a play, the camera IMMEDIATELY zooms out to a wide view (the view where you press the trigger button to see the whole field.) But, it will NOT go back to the normal zoomed up camera angle.

Anyone have any idea whats happening? Has this ever happened before? I can't imagine it's the controller as the controller does work in some aspects of Madden, but apparently not on the field of play. And the 360 is new. And while the Madden disc was bought when the game came out, I can't imagine it would affect the controller/system as to where you can use the buttons to navigate through the menu/call plays, etc...but have non responsive buttons during gameplay.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by PacMan2006; 01-03-07 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-03-07, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

bump for help
Old 01-03-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have a second controller to try it with... is it possible that as button is stuck on the controller causing the issue at certain times in the game? Does any other game cause problems? is the HD DVD add on currently connected?
Old 01-03-07, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, the add-on has since been returned. I don't think thats the issue (button being stuck). For example, I'll be able to navigate the game menu's fine, I can call plays fine, but I can NEVER snap the ball in Madden. Or have any other button work during the actual game action.

Same exact issue with the NCAA game.

Tried Gears of War. Seemed to work fine, although the trigger button for the aim feature didn't seem to work. Rainbow Six, though, appeared to work fine (at least I believe so).
Old 01-03-07, 07:37 PM

Going waaaaaay out on a limb here but since I think the wireless is 2.4 ghz, are there any possible interferance items around? Phone, router, etc...?
Old 01-03-07, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the response...there is a router fairly nearby. A phone too. Though I don't know...it's not like I'm having random button issues that change each time I boot up the game. Every time I start the Madden game, for example, I can use all the buttons normally to go through the menu's. Picking plays with the button works. But going to play the games themselves, hike the ball, pass, run, etc...buttons don't respond.

I can't tell if it's a controller issue and I should go buy a new controller to test it, or if it's a system issue and I should exchange my 360 at BB again!
Old 01-04-07, 09:17 AM

Bad game disk? Have you replaced the game yet? I can't believe that 2 different consoles would have the exact same issue on the same game. I guess anything is possible but it seems odd.
Old 01-04-07, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Was the controller swapped out when the console was?
Old 01-04-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well...it's not the exact same issue, really. Originally, I could certainly play the games fine and the controller buttons responded perfectly, the game just started freezing up after I watched my first HD DVD.

Now, game still works, but the controller is responding in certain aspects of the game (calling plays, navigating menu's) but is unresponsive in other aspects (running plays, attempting to hike the ball, etc).

It's very odd, and not sure how to approach this. And yes, the controller was swapped as well. This was a completely brand new 360--didn't even keep my old hard drive. I can't tell if I should buy a new controller to test it out...exchange the entire system AGAIN...just not sure...
Old 01-04-07, 10:42 AM

Maybe there's a glitch in the disk. Doesn't the 360 load part of the files on the HD for quicker access? Could be some of the control scheme file system is corrupted?
Old 01-04-07, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the controller work fine for other games? It could be a bad disc or controller.
Old 01-04-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well...sort of. For example...I put in Gears of War, and it seemed to work fine. Although the left trigger button wasn't responding and therefore the aiming feature didn't work. But everything else seemed to work fine. Rainbox Six seemed fine.

I popped in NCAA, made by EA Sports just like Madden, and had the EXACT same issue as I did with Madden. But my thing is this...if it's the game disc(s), why did it work on my previous 360, and not this brand new 360?