Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else watching a lot of TV on DVD recently?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-07, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the recent holidays and some time off, coupled with the B1G1 free sales and other sales, I realized I have been watching a lot more TV on DVD than I usually do and less regular DVDs.

In the last two/two and a half months, I've watched:
entourage, season 1 and 2
smallville, season 1
scrubs, season 1 and 2, currently on season 3
the job, the complete series
weeds, the complete first season

then in the TV on DVD queue, I have:
nip/tuck, season 1 and 2
firefly, the complete series
24, seasons 1-5
OZ, seasons 1-3
smallville 2-5 (yet to purchase)
scrubs, season 4 (yet to purchase)

Anyone else notice they are watching a lot more TV on DVD? Guess this will slow down with sweeps and Heroes returning!
Old 01-02-07, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always do. Heroes is the only show I've watched regularly on tv since I don't know when.

I prefer to wait until something comes on dvd and then rent. You get the best pic/sound, no commercials, no logos, I can watch whenever. Plus my local mom n' pops rental store has a good selection of shows for $3 a season for 5 nights.

Unfortunately waiting for dvds has backfired with 24 ~ I found out the major spoiler of season 1 before seeing it.

Plus I got a good selection in my home collection: Simpsons, Cosby Show, XFiles, Futurama, Threes Company, Batman Animated, Chappelle...it much easier for me to fit a 22 min show in during my breakfast, lunch, dinner, or as I go to sleep.
Old 01-02-07, 09:18 PM

TV on DVR actually.

Seems like there's a lot of good stuff on TV this season. I'm catching up on Heroes, Friday Night Lights, and Battlestar Galactica. Bravo has been showing Six Feet Under, which I am hooked on. I need to make space on my DVR so I can record The Wire on BET.
Old 01-03-07, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's so many great shows on DVD... Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica, 24, Lost, Angel, Stargate, I love watching a season of any show that has some type of ongoing storyline over a simple 90 minute movie anyday.
Old 01-03-07, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've gotten to the point where if I miss 2 or 3 episodes in a row of a show, I start to think "Oh well, I just wait for the DVD to watch the rest of this."
Old 01-03-07, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, definitely. What happens to me is that I decide to watch a bunch of Christmas episodes and I invariably end up watching pretty much everything I have of some random show that happens to strike my fancy.

Two years ago, I watched the "Spirit" episode of Alias and ended up watching the first two seasons. Last year, I watched a couple Sports Night episodes and ended up watching the entire series over again. This year, I watched the Holiday Armadillo episode of Friends and ended up watching all 8 seasons I own.
Old 01-03-07, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally getting around to buying all the Gilmore Girls sets, so I'm overdosing on small-town whimsy right now.

I'll be glad when The Sopranos is back on TV. I could do with some macho bloodshed right around now.

I stil watch at least two or three Buffy episodes a week. At this point, it's almost a ritual. Or maybe just a Willow addiction.
Old 01-03-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, always, especially at this time of the year and summer when there's not much "new" TV out there.

Seems I always have a backlog of stuff that I bought at a good deal, or was given to me as a gift that I've yet to get around to watching. But, it's always nice to save something saved for a "rainy day".

Right now, just started watching American Dreams, which having never seen it before is pretty decent. Picked it up insanely cheap ($15, normally around $90) as a blind buy during a Black Friday sale - and finally had the chance to start watching it.

Other stuff that's waiting to be viewed - some that I haven't seen at all, some that I haven't seen in a long time...

Wonderfalls
Entourage - Season 2
Smallville - Season 5
Supernatural - Season 1
Battlestar Gallactica - Season 2 (2.0 and 2.5)
The 4400 - Season 2
Dead Zone - Seasons 3 & 4
Kids In The Hall - Season 5
Newsradio - Seasons 1 thru 4
Family Guy - Volumes 3 & 4
Dave Chappelle Show - Season 1 & 2
Planet Of The Apes - The Animated Series
Teen Titans - Seasons 1 & 2

...and a handfull of others, too.
Old 01-04-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by IamHydrogen1
Bravo has been showing Six Feet Under, which I am hooked on. I need to make space on my DVR so I can record The Wire on BET.
Ahhhh! No no no no no.

Those shows are being broadcast on those station totally cut to shit - those are hour-long episodes, cut down to under 40 minutes - they're not just cutting out the sex/violence/cursing, but you're losing a whole lot of story and great character moments. I have no idea how The Wire would work with almost half the episode gone.

Dude, at least rent the dvds. You'll be glad you did.
Old 01-04-07, 02:08 PM

Does anyone know when season 2 of Prison Break is being released on DVD. I own season one and have watched it but I do not want to jump into Seson 3 withound seeing #2 first.
Old 01-04-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I watch My Name is Earl, The Office, Family Guy, and American Dad each week, every other show I watch on DVD. It's nice to be able to set my own schedule and jump around between shows. If I feel like watching 6 episodes of something in a row I can and if I feel like taking 6 months between episodes that's okay too. Currently I'm in the middle of watching sets of:

Battlestar Galactica (original)
Cheers
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Greg the Bunny
Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law
Jack of All Trades
King of the Hill
Monk
Mr. Show
Mystery Science Theater: 3000
Simpsons, The
Sliders
Space Ghost: Coast to Coast
Space: Above and Beyond
Star Trek: The Animated Series
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Titus
Twilight Zone (original)
West Wing

I've also got a bunch of other series lying around that I haven't started yet.
Old 01-04-07, 03:07 PM

I, unfortunately, got out of this habit. I used to love it! 5 seasons of Sopranosor 3 of Alias in 1 week!!! Now I deal with Lost and want to shoot myself.
Old 01-04-07, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by blaineo
Does anyone know when season 2 of Prison Break is being released on DVD. I own season one and have watched it but I do not want to jump into Seson 3 withound seeing #2 first.
Season 2 will most likely be released on dvd in August or September. It will probably be the last of the Prison Break series.
Old 01-04-07, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I just finished watching Firefly. I think I'm going to watch it again. Such a damn amazing show.
Old 01-04-07, 06:53 PM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts
Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
I just finished watching Firefly. I think I'm going to watch it again. Such a damn amazing show.
Finally got this today. It's nice to have the power to watch it (in widescreen) whenever I want to.

This year I want to get the entire seasons of The Pretender, Reba, and The Office and the rest of Friends (w/ Joey).
Old 01-04-07, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
Ahhhh! No no no no no.

Those shows are being broadcast on those station totally cut to shit - those are hour-long episodes, cut down to under 40 minutes - they're not just cutting out the sex/violence/cursing, but you're losing a whole lot of story and great character moments. I have no idea how The Wire would work with almost half the episode gone.

Dude, at least rent the dvds. You'll be glad you did.
Six Feet Under episodes run 75 minutes each on Bravo. I don't believe they are cut except for the cursing and sex.

Not sure about The Wire.
Old 01-04-07, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm on season 4 of OZ. Watched all of farscape on dvd.
Old 01-06-07, 10:39 PM

Yeah plenty of shows on DVD. I live in Australia so the shows are forgotten about or they take ages to air. I just buy the Region 1 release on ebay or Amazon.

Alias Season 5
Arrested Development
Six Feet Under
Grey's Anatomy

TV on DVD is great. No ads, no week-long waiting. It's fantastic. Alot of people I know have a new found love for shows like Alias and Lost because of the DVD release. They watch it all in one weekend and they're hooked.
Old 01-07-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rewatched 24 seasons 1-3 so I could enjoy 4 and 5 with them still in my memory. Then I rewatched Roswell 1-3 and had a blast. Rewatched Sopranos 1-4 as its had been so long and then went to 5 and 6A, was very enjoyable. Finally watched BattleStar Galatica all way through 2.5 and I see all praise for it, this show is fantastic! Now I am watching Buffy for first time and just got to season four so I am adding in Angel now as well.
Yeah I guess you could say I been watching alot tv dvd sets last few months
Old 01-07-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts
I watched all of One tree hill on dvd seasons 1-3, and its much more addictive when you can watch the shows nonstop on dvd instead of week to week. It been hard to adjust watching season 4 on television instead. I am slowly making my way through Rome season 1 as well.
Old 01-07-07, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Yep. There's very little 'new' tv I'm interested in, and I just prefer watching it in the compressed DVD format. Plus many series/seasons can be found for quite cheaply nowadays.
I just finished Arrested Development S2 tonight.

How do you normally watch TV on DVD? Do you watch an entire series, a season at a time, or hop from one show to another at the same time?
For me it depends on where/when I'm watching and how the show grabs me. Since AD is WS, I'm watching it on the WS tv; I've watched a couple 4:3 shows [Venture Brothers, Oblongs] on the computer.
I usually try to watch a season or two of the same show in a row; three or more, I run the risk of burnout/needing a break, and I try another show to spread it around a bit.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 01-07-07 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-07-07, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dtcarson
How do you normally watch TV on DVD? Do you watch an entire series, a season at a time, or hop from one show to another at the same time?
For me it depends on where/when I'm watching and how the show grabs me. Since AD is WS, I'm watching it on the WS tv; I've watched a couple 4:3 shows [Venture Brothers, Oblongs] on the computer.
I try i watch them in succession. recently started scrubs after i finished the first season of smallville, but that was i only had one season of smallville, now i am on season 4 of scrubs. after this i will probably watch firefly to knock it out before i watch something of multiple seasons.