Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Ikea wall mounting question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-07, 06:14 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ikea wall mounting question

I am thinking of mounting 3 of these on a wall but from the description it doesn't appear to include mounting hardware, only a stabilizing device to keep from tipping over. Ultimately I am looking to mount these so the bottom is about 3-4 feet off the ground. Would it be possible to do what I am thinking granted I get the proper mounting hardware?

Ikea Flarke cd/dvd wall shelf:
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...umber=90086985

Thanks for your input!
Tom
Old 01-01-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I've actually got 10 of these along my wall for my 600+ DVDs. They work fairly well, although any DVD not in a standard case will be a tight fit on the top shelf due to the way the shelves fit on the pegs. It's great other than that, but as for mounting, I'm not sure it would work very well. I have them directly on the floor, and they're okay that way, but I'm not sure they'd hold up very well being suspended.
Old 01-01-07, 09:43 PM

Of course it's possible. Go to your local Home Depot and look for 'L' shape bracket and screws. Make sure you install the brackets along the stud behind the wall to make it more secure and tight. - therefore, buy a stud finder if you don't have one yet.

Good luck.
Old 01-01-07, 09:58 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Engel07
Of course it's possible. Go to your local Home Depot and look for 'L' shape bracket and screws. Make sure you install the brackets along the stud behind the wall to make it more secure and tight. - therefore, buy a stud finder if you don't have one yet.

Good luck.

Cool, that was what I was thinking. My only concern was the particleboard and how much weight could be supported with the brackets.
My father also suggested attaching a one level custom bottom shelf to support the 3 units I want to hang and then add brackets for further support to each unit.
Old 01-01-07, 10:08 PM

I used to own the IKEA shelves with glass door, and it was meant to be installed on the wall. It came with a single L bracket on top and a wooden square type of holder on the bottom with 2 holes through the holder to secure the bottom. How about buying a thik cardboard wood for the bottom and secured it against the wall first and put the shelves on top of the wood and then several L bracket on top?

Originally Posted by tjubb
Cool, that was what I was thinking. My only concern was the particleboard and how much weight could be supported with the brackets.
My father also suggested attaching a one level custom bottom shelf to support the 3 units I want to hang and then add brackets for further support to each unit.
Old 01-01-07, 10:38 PM
Cool New Member

I was looking at that unit with the glass door too, however these hold more for cheaper so I've gone that route.

Not sure I follow your idea on the thick cardboard bottom. I understand the bit about the L brackets on the tops.

Originally Posted by Engel07
I used to own the IKEA shelves with glass door, and it was meant to be installed on the wall. It came with a single L bracket on top and a wooden square type of holder on the bottom with 2 holes through the holder to secure the bottom. How about buying a thik cardboard wood for the bottom and secured it against the wall first and put the shelves on top of the wood and then several L bracket on top?
Old 01-02-07, 02:35 AM

Here's to give you an idea...do you see the wood on the bottom? You'll need to drill screws into that wood so it can hold the shelves off the ground.

Originally Posted by tjubb
I was looking at that unit with the glass door too, however these hold more for cheaper so I've gone that route.

Not sure I follow your idea on the thick cardboard bottom. I understand the bit about the L brackets on the tops.

Last edited by Engel07; 01-02-07 at 02:37 AM.
Old 01-02-07, 04:50 AM

I actually have two of these, and they do come with stuff to mount them with. It's basically just two pieces of metal with a hole on each end of it, and you screw one screw into the particle board and one into the wall. It doesn't look very sturdy, but I've had them completely filled with DVDs and hanging from my walls for 6 months with no problems. I do have thicker walls than most (not sure what they are made of, but not drywall). They look pretty nice, but are a pain to assemble. You pretty much need powertools to do it (I don't know if they usually come with predrilled holes, but mine didn't, so I had to drill out holes to connect the top/bottom/sides together).

edit: maybe the part I am talking about is the "anti topple device", but its been mounted on my wall for about 6 monthes. I would use your own judgment though.

Last edited by illinisox4life; 01-02-07 at 05:00 AM.
Old 01-02-07, 01:27 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks guys!
Engel, I am going with that approach in your photo. I was thinking of something much bigger for a brace but it appears that will be plenty support along with the L brackets.

Illin,
Thanks for your input. I feel better now that you have the exact shelves hanging with no problems!

Tom
Old 01-02-07, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by illinisox4life
I actually have two of these, and they do come with stuff to mount them with. It's basically just two pieces of metal with a hole on each end of it, and you screw one screw into the particle board and one into the wall. It doesn't look very sturdy, but I've had them completely filled with DVDs and hanging from my walls for 6 months with no problems. I do have thicker walls than most (not sure what they are made of, but not drywall). They look pretty nice, but are a pain to assemble. You pretty much need powertools to do it (I don't know if they usually come with predrilled holes, but mine didn't, so I had to drill out holes to connect the top/bottom/sides together).

edit: maybe the part I am talking about is the "anti topple device", but its been mounted on my wall for about 6 monthes. I would use your own judgment though.
I put the Flarke's together in a few minutes using only a hammer and the little crank tool it comes with. And the only extra hardware I've noticed is the "anti-topple" device that you attach to the wall just to keep it from tipping.

Are you talking about the other kind with the glass?
Old 02-20-09, 03:31 PM

Re: Ikea wall mounting question

the shit just falls out
Old 02-20-09, 04:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1stworldproblem
the shit just falls out
Old 02-20-09, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I had 4 of these shelves for a couple of years, they were never the greatest made things on earth. But they are nice looking and did a nice job holding the discs. I wouldn't trust that particle board suspending the weight personally
Old 02-20-09, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stworldproblem
the shit just falls out