Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why do they do such stupid things... blu-ray not extended; regular dvd version is...

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Why do they do such stupid things... blu-ray not extended; regular dvd version is...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-06, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering why the moronic marketting people would release an extended version of a film and then release only a regular cut on bluray? (in this case, speaking of Knight's Tale)

Any thoughts?

Sanjay
Old 12-30-06, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would assume they already had a high def master for the original cut, possibly hasn't been made in high def for the extended cut....not to mention they can get you again down the line.

don't forget, they are in business to make money
Old 12-30-06, 06:15 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StarFyre
Just wondering why the moronic marketting people would release an extended version of a film and then release only a regular cut on bluray? (in this case, speaking of Knight's Tale)

Any thoughts?

Sanjay
Hey, this works both ways; supposedly, the HD version of POSEIDON will be half an hour longer than the SD version so kwitcherbitchin.
Old 12-30-06, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StarFyre

Any thoughts?

Sanjay
Releasing the theatrical cut now will allow them to double dip later with the extended cut, just like with dvd. Universal did something nice, however, with Miami Vice. The HD DVD had the Director's cut on that side and the theatrical on the dvd side.

I believe Poseidon will now only come with the theatrical cut. Bummer.
Old 12-30-06, 10:08 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I believe Poseidon will now only come with the theatrical cut. Bummer.
Perhaps, but it's only fair (I know, I know, studios could give a shit about fair). Maybe the HD and SD crowds will get this rumored extended version together sometime soon...
Old 12-30-06, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Hey, this works both ways; supposedly, the HD version of POSEIDON will be half an hour longer than the SD version so kwitcherbitchin.
I'd have to agree here because both sides of the coin have gotten snubbed...I believe this happens to ensure or tease an upcoming double dip!
Old 12-30-06, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Making you double dip on a whole other format is too much. It's bad enough they can't come to agreement over a format but now they want you to buy at least 2 of every movie on DVD, then buy a HD-DVD player and a Blu-Ray player and then 2 of each movie on both formats.

Everyone should sit this format war so that they will have to come to an agreement. Double dips used to mean an upgrade, not so much anymore.