Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Police: Message In A Box Vol. 2 on the way

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-06, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got this in my inbox....

---------------------
NEW POLICE DVD/CDs TO BE EXPECTED IN 2007
30 years of The Police will see itself reflected in some exciting new releases
next year, one of them being the mid 2007 release of The Police Around the World DVD. The Police in the East will be featured as extra with footage that was not included in both documentaries.
Also, Message in a box vol 2 will be released, including the remainder of the
commercially released back catalogue, but this time really EVERYTHING, including the missing tracks from the previous versions.
Soon more news on these and some other releases.
Source: StingUs
---------------------

What else is there in the "already released" stuff that wasn't in the first box... a live version of "Don't Stand So Close To Me" and the double live disc... is there anything else??

Cool news none-the-less, especially the DVD!
Old 12-30-06, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I thought "everything" (with the exception of the live cd which hadn't been released at that time) was on the last one?
Old 12-30-06, 11:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, I thought so, too. But I'll prob'ly get this.
Old 12-30-06, 11:15 PM
Banned

Not everything was on it but there certainly isn't enough "missing" material to justify another box set.

The only way is if it's an expanded version of "Message in a Box" as opposed to what this blurb suggests: an additional, supplemental box set, OR if it's all the "rare" material from the box plus the missing material available without the album tracks for the first time as a supplement to the individual remasters.
Old 12-30-06, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow...I didn't think there was enough stuff left in the vault to justify another box set. Ah hell...I will buy it...
Old 12-31-06, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by KnightLerxst
Wow...I didn't think there was enough stuff left in the vault to justify another box set. Ah hell...I will buy it...
Me too. Because it's the fucking Police, that's why.
Old 12-31-06, 12:44 AM
Mod Emeritus

Apparently this will have every Police song ever made except Sting is playing the Lute, and the songs will be sung operatically by a young Bavarian gentleman.
Old 12-31-06, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Apparently this will have every Police song ever made except Sting is playing the Lute, and the songs will be sung operatically by a young Bavarian gentleman.
Will it include a tantric sex manual?

I've dragged my feet on picking up the original Message in a Box. If this new one includes everything in the old one, I'm so there.
Old 12-31-06, 05:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Will this be remastered again, I wonder?
Old 12-31-06, 09:10 PM
kpa

Off the top of my head, I can think of

-Don't Stand So Close to Me (live b-side)
-Don't Stand So Close to Me '86 - Extended Remix (which I believe was on the German pressing of the box set in place of the regular single version)
-De Do Do Do De Da Da Da '86 (which snuck out by accident on the DTS version of "EBYT-The Classics" in place of the original album version)
-Truth Hits Everybody '83 (re-recording)
-Message in a Bottle (Classic Rock Remix, off the "Classics" compilation)
-I think the backing track for "Every Breath You Take" surfaced as a b-side in a singles double-pack somewhere
-there have been remixes done here and there for tracks like "Walking On the Moon" and "Voices Inside My Head"
-the Strontium 90 tracks with Mike Howlett

Not really a lot, unless you get into single edits and really, really persnickety things, which end up making things redundant (again, that was off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more. Even though they are my favorite band, the part of my brain that focuses on Police minutiae has shrunken over the years). Personally, I would pass on updating the box set, and instead make sure each album gets the "Expanded Edition" treatment with the proper b-sides, live tracks, and demos. The double live album and "Synchronicity" concert are great to have, but they're pretty under-represented as a live act, in my opinion, especially during the "Zenyatta" tour. And since they all wrote their songs separately, I think hearing any demos they brought to the table would be a revelation.

Last edited by kpa; 01-01-07 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-01-07, 12:31 PM
Banned

My thoughts exactly, as far as the demos go. They would be great to finally hear!
Old 01-08-07, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Here's a tiny bit more from stingus.net:

"THE POLICE - MESSAGE IN A BOX - THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS - VOL 2
30th Anniversay 59 track limited edition 4CD BOX SET which is to include rare versions, remixes and live tracks, including 5 tracks that were previously unreleased on CD. This is to be the follow up box set to the 1993's MESSAGE IN A BOX: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS.
Some of the tracks that are expected to be featured on this release are:
- De do do do De da da da (Japanese version)
- Truth hits everybody (Remix)
- Every breath you take (backing track)
- Roxanne (backing track)"
Old 01-08-07, 02:41 PM
Banned

Hmm, 59 tracks on 4 CD's?

The previous one had 78 tracks across 4 CD's.

I just can't see such a huge discrepency when it comes to the same disc-count.

If you add up all the album tracks you get 53 or 54 (counting "Murder By Numbers" on Synchronicity") which seems to match up with that "including 5 tracks that were previously unreleased on CD." statement but then you would lose the 25 miscellaneous tracks from the previous box set.
Old 01-08-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
The way I read that statement is that there are only 5 tracks on this new box that are not available elsewhere.
Old 01-08-07, 03:34 PM
Banned

Yeah but based on the numbers alone you're gaining 5 tracks and losing 25.

I think the 4 discs of the previous box set were pretty much full so if they had to truly expand it they'd have to add a fifth disc.

"Regatta" is split between discs 1 & 2 on the current box set so the best-case scenario would be to:

expand to 5 discs, give all 5 studio albums their own disc.

Forget the chronological approach from the earlier box and just use the space at the end of each album disc for the 25 current "MIAB" tracks plus the 5 new ones. That works out to only 6 additional tracks per disc.

Tell me what makes more sense: all 5 albums with 6 bonus tracks on each disc or 5 albums crammed onto four discs with a measly 5 bonus tracks total?

Last edited by GuruTwo; 01-08-07 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-08-07, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
- Every breath you take (backing track)
- Roxanne (backing track)
is that the cool way to say Karaoke Version?
Old 01-08-07, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by GuruTwo
Yeah but based on the numbers alone you're gaining 5 tracks and losing 25.

I think the 4 discs of the previous box set were pretty much full so if they had to truly expand it they'd have to add a fifth disc.

"Regatta" is split between discs 1 & 2 on the current box set so the best-case scenario would be to:

expand to 5 discs, give all 5 studio albums their own disc.

Forget the chronological approach from the earlier box and just use the space at the end of each album disc for the 25 current "MIAB" tracks plus the 5 new ones. That works out to only 6 additional tracks per disc.

Tell me what makes more sense: all 5 albums with 6 bonus tracks on each disc or 5 albums crammed onto four discs with a measly 5 bonus tracks total?
Since it is called Vol. 2, I assume there will be no repeat tracks so it doesn't matter.
Old 01-08-07, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by reverie
...30th Anniversay 59 track limited edition 4CD BOX SET which is to include rare versions, remixes and live tracks, including 5 tracks that were previously unreleased on CD...
I take that as a couple of unreleased live tracks, a couple of unreleased remixes, all the songs missed on the last box set, plus the live double disc, and the stromium 90 stuff.

= 4 CD's
Old 01-09-07, 08:58 PM
Banned

Since it is called Vol. 2, I assume there will be no repeat tracks so it doesn't matter.
But it's a bit too much of a coincidence that if you take the number of tracks supposedly included (59) and you subtract the number of "new" tracks (5) you get the exact number of tracks from the 5 studio albums (54 = Regatta [11] + Outlandos [10] + Zenyatta [11] + Ghost [11] + Synchronicity [11])

Plus you have to take into account that the remastering on the first box set is outdated and vastly-superior masters are available on the individual releases.

But on the other hand, you also have to take into account the fact that these are all coming from an unofficial source and whoever wrote this blurb for this fansite could have arrived at the "54 studio tracks plus 5 unreleased tracks = 59" number pretty much how I did but in reverse.