Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gamecube - New Games Coming?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-06, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gamecube - New Games Coming?

I was thinking of picking up a Gamecube as they can be had for around $75.00 CDN (on sale) and was wondering what the future of this console was.

With Wii out will they still be making new games for the Camecube or is it pretty much what's out there is what you have to choose from?

Thanks,

James
Old 12-30-06, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As far as I know the Cube is pretty much dead. The beauty is that everything cube related except for the GBA player can be used on the Wii, so the old stuff will live on...
Old 12-30-06, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
It has a nice back catalog and I could easily recommend 30 must have titles. I doubt we will see new titles though. There was supposed to be a new game using the bongos and a new Paper Mario platform game, but I have no doubt that Nintendo will move both projects to the Wii.
Old 12-30-06, 08:51 AM

Thanks!

I will go to Gamespot and check out what's what.

James
Old 12-30-06, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Radio Allergy, a cell-shaded shooter is coming out in February.

By that I mean an old-school 2D shooter ala Gun*Nac, not an FPS.

I'm sure EA and the like will still defile the console with their crappy movie tie-in games for another year or so.. but seeing as the meat of the console was from Nintendo themselves, it's all eyes on Wii now. Still, if you don't want to spring for one of those the Cube has a solid library and right now you'll probably be able to get most of the games under $20 a pop.
Old 12-30-06, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
There was supposed to be a new game using the bongos and a new Paper Mario platform game, but I have no doubt that Nintendo will move both projects to the Wii.
I know for a fact that Super Paper Mario of which you speak is indeed a Wii game now. Not sure about DK: Bongo Blast or whatever it was called.
Old 12-30-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually have a theory that the prices will go up on the cream of the gamecube crop. I think the Wii will sell at least 3-4 times as well as the Cube did, and folks will want to reach back to the Gamecube library...of which supply is obviously limited to what's in circulation now.

Point is...if you didn't have a cube but have or plan to get a Wii...you may want to look at some of those $10 and under games now...Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine and the like....before they go up in price.

But maybe I'm out on a limb here...
Old 12-30-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Radio Allergy, a cell-shaded shooter is coming out in February.

By that I mean an old-school 2D shooter ala Gun*Nac, not an FPS.

...off to dig up more info on who's making it etc.

I'm sure EA and the like will still defile the console with their crappy movie tie-in games for another year or so.. but seeing as the meat of the console was from Nintendo themselves, it's all eyes on Wii now. Still, if you don't want to spring for one of those the Cube has a solid library and right now you'll probably be able to get most of the games under $20 a pop.
Agreed.

Pix, add me to your list on your Wii when you get a chance.
Old 12-30-06, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chess

...off to dig up more info on who's making it etc.
It's made by Milestone, which is mostly made up of ex-Compile staff who are known for past shmups like Zanac, Gun*Nac, Guardian Legend, Aleste, Musha, Spriggan and others. The last game they made, Chaos Field, wasn't very good.. but Radio Allergy is pretty damn sweet so it's cool that it's coming out here. They've got another coming out soon (first for Arcade/Dreamcast, then usually PS2/Cube) called Crow.
Old 12-30-06, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Guardian Legend
Heh, I was playing that game last night, ah the memories.
Old 12-30-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
I know for a fact that Super Paper Mario of which you speak is indeed a Wii game now. Not sure about DK: Bongo Blast or whatever it was called.
Bongo Blast has been moved to the Wii as well.
Old 12-30-06, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, this situation is different than the DS/GBA situation. As far as I know, the GBA is STILL kickin! But as far as I know, the Cube is being abandoned. I'll pick up Lego Star Wars II one of these days and I'll call it good...
Old 12-30-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
It's made by Milestone, which is mostly made up of ex-Compile staff who are known for past shmups like Zanac, Gun*Nac, Guardian Legend, Aleste, Musha, Spriggan and others. The last game they made, Chaos Field, wasn't very good.. but Radio Allergy is pretty damn sweet so it's cool that it's coming out here. They've got another coming out soon (first for Arcade/Dreamcast, then usually PS2/Cube) called Crow.
I think I feel a preorder coming on...
Old 12-30-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since the recent Zelda game is on both platforms, I'm a little surprised that the next few 1st party games wouldn't be dual platform releases...
Old 12-30-06, 03:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Since the recent Zelda game is on both platforms, I'm a little surprised that the next few 1st party games wouldn't be dual platform releases...

The only reason that TP was released for the Cube is because Nintendo promised long ago that the game would come out on the Cube and Nintendo doesn't want to piss off their consumers by breaking a promise. If Nintendo had not made such a promise, they would have most likely canceled the Cube version. I really doubt future 1st party games will be on both Cube and Wii since Nintendo didn't make any promises on that.

The PS2/Xbox/Cube are last-gen now so that means they are pretty much dead. There will be very few new games coming out for them.
Old 12-30-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not so fast on the PS2. That is the most successful console in history and there are quite a few good titles still on the way including God of War II and Rogue Galaxy. The PS2 is in the same boat as the GBA. Its backwards compatible with its replacement meaning PS3 owners can still buy PS2 games and it has a huge install base. There will still be a market for PS2 games for at least another year if not two. I think the GBA is finally dead now, but it lasted 2 years after the DS came out mainly because of its huge install base. Hell, they sold a ton of GBAs this holiday season so it may live on for another year or more but I doubt we see much more than licensed kids titles now.

The Xbox and Cube though are pretty much dead. I agree on grabbing all the Cube titles you can get now. The Wii is looking to have many times the owners the Cube had and that just means more and more people dipping into the back catalog that never owned a Cube. Common titles now may vanish over the next year. I know I was very lucky to run down a copy of Ikaruga at a decent price.

I'm definitely picking up Radio Allergy, but is Chaos Field really that bad? I've been tempted to grab it, but wasn't sure if it was worth even its moderate $15 price.

Last edited by darkside; 12-30-06 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-30-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
Not so fast on the PS2. That is the most successful console in history and there are quite a few good titles still on the way including God of War II and Rogue Galaxy. The PS2 is in the same boat as the GBA. Its backwards compatible with its replacement meaning PS3 owners can still buy PS2 games and it has a huge install base. There will still be a market for PS2 games for at least another year if not two. I think the GBA is finally dead now, but it lasted 2 years after the DS came out mainly because of its huge install base. Hell, they sold a ton of GBAs this holiday season so it may live on for another year or more but I doubt we see much more than licensed kids titles now.

The Xbox and Cube though are pretty much dead. I agree on grabbing all the Cube titles you can get now. The Wii is looking to have many times the owners the Cube had and that just means more and more people dipping into the back catalog that never owned a Cube. Common titles now may vanish over the next year. I know I was very lucky to run down a copy of Ikaruga at a decent price.

I'm definitely picking up Radio Allergy, but is Chaos Field really that bad? I've been tempted to grab it, but wasn't sure if it was worth even its moderate $15 price.
Yes this is true about the PS2 still being a viable console. The PS2 is still the best selling console in North America. It has outsold the Xbox 360 since it launched, and last month it was the top selling console beating out all the "next-gen" systems.

Some analysts have speculated the PS2 may continue being the top selling console throughout 2007. Especially if Sony lowers the price to $99.
Old 12-30-06, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CreatureX
Some analysts have speculated the PS2 may continue being the top selling console throughout 2007. Especially if Sony lowers the price to $99.
At $99 (and more importantly another $20-30 drop in the price of used systems hopefully), I'd finally bite on the console and would probably delay getting a Wii even after they become so readily available I can walk into any of the 3 vendors a quarter mile from my house and buy everything I want in one fell swoop. There are just a ton of great PS2 games that are brand new to me.

Heck, I'm starting to talk myself into it at $129.
Old 02-19-07, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Radio Allergy has been moved back to 3/20: http://gonintendo.com/?p=13412
Old 02-19-07, 10:32 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Yeah, this situation is different than the DS/GBA situation. As far as I know, the GBA is STILL kickin! But as far as I know, the Cube is being abandoned. I'll pick up Lego Star Wars II one of these days and I'll call it good...
The GBA is still kicking? Other than Final Fantasy VI, which has now come out, what else looms on the horizon for GBA?
Old 02-19-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The GBA is still kicking? Other than Final Fantasy VI, which has now come out, what else looms on the horizon for GBA?
Probably just third party licensed kids games.
Old 02-20-07, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
just caught this at joystiq for those that are interested:

O~3 Entertainment's efforts to bring Radio Allergy to North America have been slowed, slightly. The throwback shmup will be delayed a month, now scheduled to ship in limited quantities on March 20 (available through Amazon). Hoping to unload its stock of the budget GameCube shooter as swiftly as possible, O~3 has wisely tacked on a "it'll play in your Wii" reminder (meaning: you'll still be piloting with your WaveBird).
That probably means don't wait for a price drop if you have any interest in the game.
Old 02-20-07, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Figured this one would have to be grabbed quickly.