Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Recent change to Circuit City's price match policy

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-27-06, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just at the store by my work with my Best Buy ad wanting to PM 50 First Dates and Resident Evil 2 for $4.99 each.

The girl rang them up at $4.99 each. I asked about the $110% of the difference off like they normally do, and she said about a month ago they changed it to where they only do that if you have already bought it there and then find it cheaper elsewhere afterwards.

I had just PM'ed 24 Season 5 at a different Circuit City Sunday and got it on the spot for $17.39, so this is either a store-by-store policy change, or not all employees know about it yet, or she was just being a bitch.

Just thought I'd mention it FYI.
Old 12-27-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I was just at the store by my work with my Best Buy ad wanting to PM 50 First Dates and Resident Evil 2 for $4.99 each.

The girl rang them up at $4.99 each. I asked about the $110% of the difference off like they normally do, and she said about a month ago they changed it to where they only do that if you have already bought it there and then find it cheaper elsewhere afterwards.

I had just PM'ed 24 Season 5 at a different Circuit City Sunday and got it on the spot for $17.39, so this is either a store-by-store policy change, or not all employees know about it yet, or she was just being a bitch.

Good to know. Thanks..... Happy New Year!

Price Protection & Unbeatable Price Guarantee

If within 30 days from the date of our offer, you show us a lower, currently advertised price from another local store with the same item in stock, we will gladly refund 110% of the difference between our price and theirs.

Circuit City's Unbeatable Price Guarantee does not apply to services, nor does it apply to special offers or promotions, including rebates, mail in offers, free-with-purchase offers, limited quantity offers, bundled promotions and special financing. Circuit City's Unbeatable Price Guarantee does not apply to products and services offered by third parties operating in Circuit City's stores.
Old 12-27-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by speedy1961
Good to know. Thanks..... Happy New Year!

Price Protection & Unbeatable Price Guarantee

If within 30 days from the date of our offer, you show us a lower, currently advertised price from another local store with the same item in stock, we will gladly refund 110% of the difference between our price and theirs.

Circuit City's Unbeatable Price Guarantee does not apply to services, nor does it apply to special offers or promotions, including rebates, mail in offers, free-with-purchase offers, limited quantity offers, bundled promotions and special financing. Circuit City's Unbeatable Price Guarantee does not apply to products and services offered by third parties operating in Circuit City's stores.
But nowhere in there do I see it say that it does not apply to on-the-spot purchases.
Old 12-27-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts
"we will gladly refund 110% of the difference"

It wouldn't be a "refund" if it wasn't a prior purchase.
Old 12-27-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuessWho
"we will gladly refund 110% of the difference"

It wouldn't be a "refund" if it wasn't a prior purchase.
Yeah, I guess "refund" is the key word there, but that's what they've always said and yet still did the PMs the same way.
Old 12-27-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts
Buy it.
Walk to your car and get the ad you left in the front seat.
Re-enter store and get "refund"
Old 12-27-06, 11:33 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy it.
Why walk to your car? Just bring the ad with you and go directly from the cashier to customer service, just like you can do at Best Buy.
Old 12-27-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Buy it.
Yeah, I know that now.

I thought about telling her to just ring them up regular price then, but the difference in price for just those two movies was not worth the extra hassle.

No if it had been my 24 season 5 on Sunday, I would have.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 12-27-06 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-27-06, 12:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts
that's funny bc last week i PM'd "Nip/Tuck" S3 and got the PM plus $2.00 off which took me by surprise (the $2.00 off that is).
Old 12-27-06, 02:00 PM

I has a similar experience today. I price matched gears of war at cc from targets $39 ad. Not only did I not get the 110% guarantee, They charged me 39.99. I didn't feel like making a stink over $3.

On a side note, The store had 2 cashiers, on doing purchases, one doing returns.I waited 15 minutes on line, and another 10 for the cashier to figure out how to do a price match. Also he did not take my Amex gift check, guess he didn't know how. Terrible experience there today.
Old 12-27-06, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never done a PM at CC but I've always thought it was 110% of the difference after you bought it -- either from them or a competitor, . . . and within 30 days, of course.

*Price difference x 1.1 = "refund"

Last edited by Xbox69; 12-27-06 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-27-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jim
Why walk to your car? Just bring the ad with you and go directly from the cashier to customer service, just like you can do at Best Buy.
Actually, I have had Best Buy refuse me on that. They said they give you 110% as an inconvience for having to make 2 trips to the store. To price match on the same trip as the purchase does not qualify. I was told this twice by two different employees, but it was at the same store. So maybe my store just sucks...
Old 01-01-07, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That actually makes sense to me.
Old 01-01-07, 09:35 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
During the past month, I've price-matched at 3 different Circuit Cities (Florence KY, Cincinnati OH and Myrtle Beach SC). At all three locations I was given the extra 10% off at the register without even having to ask for it. I think the cashier who checked you out simply didn't know how to ring up the extra 10% automatically and simply made up an excuse. (And before people get started... I know it's easy to figure out, but you'd be surprised by the number of people who don't know how to calculate 10% in their heads or are simply too lazy to pull out a calculator or ask a manager for help!)
Old 01-02-07, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Snowmaker

The "previous purchases only" is how Best Buy does it.

As far as Circuit City goes, my local store also rang up 24 Season 5 for a little over $18 after tax (funny that we got the same item).
Old 01-03-07, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I suck at math, hence this question:

I bought a 42" Pana. HDTV on Dec. 14 for $1499. It's currently advertised for $1299 at CompUSA. This morning, I took in the printout from CU's site and the CSR gave me 110% of the diff., which amounted to $220. When I got home, however, I remembered that CC offers 125% of the diff. for TV's. SO, I go back to CC and talk to another CSR. After 10 minutes of watching her read and re-read the 125% terms I had printed out from CC's website, and another 10 minutes of watching her scurry around the store asking various salespeople about this deal she knew nothing about (even though I remembered the huge signs they once had in their TV dept. touting the 125% offer), she gave me an additional $10. Shouldn't the amount have been something closer to $50 instead of the $30 I got?

If I was incorrectly credited, I'll head back to CC a THIRD time tomorrow.
Old 01-03-07, 06:15 PM

$1499-1299= $200 difference
200 * 1.25 = $250, so you're correct
Old 01-03-07, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by i86time
$1499-1299= $200 difference
200 * 1.25 = $250, so you're correct
Thanks for the quick response!

That pisses me off. Had the CSR done it right the first time, I could have saved myself about an hour and an additional $30.

Not going back though. I just realized that the CompUSA across the street doesn't usually carry the Panasonic in-store. Had they called, I probably wouldn't have gotten the PM at all.