Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

My bad turned good dell experience

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-27-06, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So ordered a pc from dell on Dec 7, received Dec 13, no problems. Dec 17th order a wireless adapter, 1 controller,1 microphone, and 3 games. They say shipping as two orders. Received order 1 with 1 controller, 1 game and the microphone on the 21st. Call on 23rd to see whats up(had hoped they would show up by then) Found out wireless adapter sent out on 18th but lost as they can't track it, and the games still hadn't shipped althoug had always and still did say immediately available. Dell so sorry yada yada, I was upset but not angry at the rep. The rep sent out a new wireless adapter that arrived today, funny thing is lost one showed up yesterday. They told me just to keep the other one which is great cuz I need one more. Next good thing, I cancelled the games as I needed them for xmas and just went out and bought them. The rep informed me they were sending me a kids pack for the boys for the problem. I was sure this would be some junk games they would not like, it arrived today, star wars 2 lego, open season, ice age, and some other assorted game. Much better than I thought it would be. Just thought I'd share.
Old 12-27-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice to hear a good report. I have had good luck with Dell, as long as it wasn't with their Indian CS people.

I usually complain I can't understand waht they are saying and ask for a better Elglish speaking person. They typically transfer me to theri Canadian CS people.
Old 12-27-06, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't buy PC games from dell or most accessories

usually it is a lot less hassle to buy them from places that specialize in this stuff
Old 12-27-06, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I've ordered plenty of times from Dell. Not a single bad experience to speak of.
Old 12-27-06, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've had a bunch of 'issues' with dell over the past few years....but they've given me some GCs or products for the problems....and all was well. They definitely seemed to have more issues in the last 2 years, than in the previous bunch.

-p
Old 12-27-06, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My really bad experience with Dell

Up to this point, all my transactions with Dell have been pretty reasonable. However, this last experience has probably turned me away from them for good.

I got in on the deal for the Canon Digital Rebel xTi body only camera with a couple of discounts on 12/2. At that time, there was no availability issues and it was set to ship on 12/8. 12/8 comes, no shipping update, so I call them to see what's up. At the same time, I ask them to change the shipping address to my home address since I would no longer be at work when it finally ships. They say it is not in stock and they will see if they can request it to be expedited. They also changed it to Next Day delivery for me. I check the status online later and all of a sudden, my ship date has changed to 12/26!!! Since I wanted this as a Christmas gift, that wasn't going to work.

After many, many conversations with Dell via phone, email, and online chat, they pretty much made no attempt to do anything. I understood that they get the product from a supplier, so couldn't necessarily get the item faster. So I offered a suggestion that they simply substitute the camera in my order with the version that comes with the lens kit. As long as it is on my original order so that I can get my original coupons applied. I would make a sacrifice buying the lens that I didn't really want, and they would make a little more money off of me. However, I could then get it before Xmas since that one was supposedly in stock.

It appeared that no one wanted to go through the effort to see if this was even possible. Just continued to give me the runaround. I continue to try and get something done by emailing them and calling on the phone. The matter is supposedly escalated to another dept., but still nothing.

12/21 - check the online status and lo and behold it's a Christmas miracle! The item has shipped! Estimated ship date: 12/22 because it should be Next Day delivery, all of this is on Dell's order status screen... too bad it turns out to be a lump of coal in disguise. Check the tracking info of DHL, and it is not being sent Next Day at all, but rather Ground and is at a sorting facility. Not estimated to be delivered until at least 12/26. And to top it off, still scheduled for the old shipping address, my workplace where I would not even be on 12/26.

So at this point, my problems with this order has suddenly changed. I just need Dell to fix their shipping mistake. I go online chat with their offshore CS reps and get the runaround from the initial guy. He confirms that Dell was supposed to ship it Next Day and has my new shipping address correct. But he won't admit that Dell has made an error in the information it gave DHL. And no attempt is made to rectify the situation. Then he has the nerve to tell me that it is the holiday season, so shipping is delayed on most items. If someone orders something with Next Day delivery (which costs more), why would shipping companies just arbitrarily choose to send it Ground??? I told him to quit insulting me with his made up lines and transfer me to his supervisor.

The supervisor comes on and I explain it to him. He gives me the same line and says nothing can be done. That's it. I ask him if he can call up DHL, see where the package is at, and pass along the correct shipping information. He tells me that he has already called DHL and they said that nothing can be done. I've only been online with this guy for at most 10 minutes! So I call his bluff and tell him to give me the phone number and the name of the person that he talked to. Maybe I can better explain the situation to him. He stalls and tells me he didn't get the person's name. I tell him to just give me the phone number then, and whether the person was male or female and I would track them down. Surely they will remember a call from 10 mins. ago. So...he gives me a phone number and says he thinks it was a male... I immediately dial the number and what do I get? A recording that says this is no longer the valid number and tells me what the real number is.

So I call the Dell supervisor on his blatant lie and tell him that I just called the phone number and it wasn't valid and there was no way he had talked to anyone. He doesn't back down and says it is a valid number. I then inform him that he is of no help and I would take the matter up with corporate headquarters on how he had treated me. And that it was a good thing that I had a copy of that entire online chat as proof. Suddenly, my online chat session was disconnected and closed. However, I had already copied the session to my clipboard. But even without that, Dell's automated system sends you an email of the chat session anyway.

Sorry for the long story, but Dell's customer service is total cr@p. I'll be mailing letters to the corporate executives relaying this story as well.
Old 12-28-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dell is pretty good with PC's since it controls the process. with everything else i'm pretty sure it's some other distributor they drop ship from so there are a lot of problems. Fatwallet is full of stories of accessory problems.
Old 12-28-06, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well on another note my lcd was scratched called em yesterday they said they would ship a new one in 3 -7 days, showed up today already.

In regards to buying accesories and games elsewhere i din't really have time so it would have been easier and now my kids got some gsmes they wanted and to boot they were free.
Old 01-01-07, 09:34 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by al_bundy
dell is pretty good with PC's since it controls the process. with everything else i'm pretty sure it's some other distributor they drop ship from so there are a lot of problems.
That is so true. The problem is compounded by the fact that the inventory information is so unreliable that any shipment estimate provided by them is just that, a guess that sometimes turns out correct and sometimes not. Unlike amazon - when they say that something is in stock you can count on it, and decide whether to buy from them or go somewhere else.

To me it's disappointing that with the sales volume they have, Dell has not been able to, or wanted to, force their supplier of accessories, to clean up the inventory system so it counts correctly how many of each item they have at any time.
Old 01-01-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good to hear, as I've had horrible experiences and truly will never buy Dell again. You hear people say that all the time, but that's one thing I'll truly never do again.
Old 01-01-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Dude, you're getting a Dell!"