Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who "The Runaway Bride" BBC 12/25/06

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-06, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doctor Who "The Runaway Bride" BBC 12/25/06

A good transition episode. Didn't care for the repeat usage of the Santa's, however. The bride's line about "needing someone to stop you" was excellent. I loved the highway scene and I guess it explains why we never see the TARDIS "flying around".

As to the coming attractions:

Spoiler:
more Daleks??? How about the return of The Master instead?
Old 12-26-06, 08:30 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The first half was superb, very funny and well-paced. But after the initial drama of getting Donna to the wedding was over, and the sci-fi plot kicked in, the quality went down. Additionally, the sonic screwdriver was used way, way too much.

Still, I enjoyed it quite a bit.
Old 12-26-06, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Not reading a thing. I hate anybody who got to see this yesterday on BBC1. I have to wait until summer to watch this. Especially after seeing Doomsday on Friday.

I "cheated" on half of season 2, but I'm going to try hard not to do that for season 3.
Old 12-26-06, 08:53 AM

By the way, for anybody who hasn't watched this, there's a promo for season 3 afterward that is fairly spoiler-filled.
Old 12-26-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The new companion.
Old 12-26-06, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Meh, this one was alright. I just hope this new series is better than the last one. It just didn't grip me as much as the first batch of episodes with Eccleston.
Old 12-26-06, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was pretty good overall. There was good energy for the first half even if the frantic camera work was a bit much at times. The "hole to the center of the earth" was a bit silly, but not too much so and the villain was pretty well done, although for a creature with 8 legs she really didn't move around very much. Also, I agree with Groucho about the over use of the Sonic Screwdriver. It was too powerful, which is why they got rid of it in the old series, and is the same reason they got rid of K-9.

The two leads were well done, with some really nice banter. For a bit there I was wondering if the Doctor had a thing about snatching white girls from black guys. As usually I had to laugh at the overt sentimentality about the Doctor and that weird hypermorality, like somehow the doctor was a raving mad man for killing creatures that would literally devour mankind.

Also, I noticed the Doctor said that Torchwood was destroyed, which is obviously untrue on some level.

Last edited by wmansir; 12-27-06 at 04:00 AM.
Old 12-26-06, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I'm guessing the Doctor doesn't know there's more than one Torchwood office.

Along with the Series 3 promo. There was a Sarah Jane Adventures teaser afterwards (along with the season finale of Torchwood).

Sarah has a sonic screwdriver too!!!
Old 12-27-06, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with everyone about the 1st half, very funny and that highway chase was very well done. The second half did get a little boring, where it kinda just went on.
It was weird that some of the action took place on/in the Thames barrier. The last episode of Spooks/MI5 took place there aswell.
Weird at the end when the TARDIS took off instead of just vanishing!
Old 12-27-06, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jdslater1
Weird at the end when the TARDIS took off instead of just vanishing!
The TARDIS must of still been "recovering" from that bit of highway flying.
Old 12-27-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few random thoughts.

- Guess this explains the wierd green slime from the drill hole in 'Inferno'.

(old school Who fan)

- Strikes me as interesting how common mixed-race couples are in the Who universe. I've counted three so far. When at the same time, here on 'progressive' US tv I can't think of a single example.

- Surprised how much Donna grew on me once she calmed down a bit. Especially after hearing all the bitching from British fans when she first appeared at the end of 'Doomsday'. Rather a shame she didn't stick around. Hope we meet her again someday.

Last edited by Panda Phil; 12-27-06 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-27-06, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Panda Phil
- Strikes me as interesting how common mixed-race couples are in the Who universe. I've counted three so far, when at the same time, here on 'progressive' US tv I can't think of a single example.
One recent example: Day Break. What's funny is that it never even occurred to me that the couple in that was interracial, until somebody posited that as the reason for it's demise.
Old 12-27-06, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

More recent examples: The Wire, Heroes, Lost, Desperate Housewives, Battlestar Galactica (just off the top of my head).
Old 12-27-06, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Chew
More recent examples: The Wire, Heroes, Lost, Desperate Housewives, Battlestar Galactica (just off the top of my head).
Yeah, but how many of those are hit shows?

Oh, all of them.
Old 12-28-06, 06:21 AM

NOooooooooooooooooooooooo

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2...600210,00.html

Who Quits Again!
Old 12-28-06, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, that sucks.
Old 12-28-06, 06:36 AM

At least we get another season and 1/2 out of him. Weird that they are going to have a regeneration half way through the season.

Maybe it's a ploy for Tennant to get more money?

Aren't they burning through regenerations pretty quick? It's 12, right? At this rate they will have to figure out a way to talk themselves out of that "rule"....
Old 12-28-06, 08:26 AM

It should be pointed out that 1) That's a tabloid story, and 2) The BBC has denied it, noting that Season 4 hasn't even gotten the greenlight yet.
Old 12-29-06, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Will the Sarah Jane episode on Monday be the pilot with another episode following the next week? Or it's a pilot with the series to come later? Or is it just a one time special?
Old 12-29-06, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I didnt like it. The first half was goofy, simplistic Brithumor crud, and Tennant's comedic mugging almost makes McCoy's look subtle. Ick. Just not to my tastes.

I'm sorry, but this new Who is, for me, trying to ruin the character by humanizing him. All the dark side stuff and his pathetic, near stalkerish loneliness is godawful. Even the curious, improvising adventurer is downplayed a lot- for every neat scene of his helming the TARDIS with twine, the next has him just whipping out the sonic screwdriver or fixing problems offscreen (like the robot guards). I liked him better when he was an alien, not some smart guy with his heart on his sleeve and a serious bipolar disorder.

I just think the creative team doesnt have much of a clue how to balance the show out. The elements dont blend well, too blunt. Its usually straight sci fi, cheeky humor, or hammy melodrama but rarely a smooth combo of two or three. Good fantasy shows manage that balancing act. I just dont think the new Who does it very well.
Old 12-29-06, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil
NOooooooooooooooooooooooo

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2...600210,00.html

Who Quits Again!

The BBC has already squashed this rumor.

BBC Denies Tennant Leaving

The BBC have issued a statement reported by the Press Association to refute any decisions made by cast or crew over the fourth series of Doctor Who.

Reported by BBC News, CBBC, icWales, Press Association, 24dash, Manchester Evening News.
Dr Who bosses have denied claims that star David Tennant is to quit the show - but said a fourth series featuring the Scot as the Timelord has not yet been ordered.

Reports claimed Tennant, 35, would leave in the middle of the fourth series of the sci-fi drama, due to begin filming next year - sparking a hunt for the 11th Timelord after less than two years in the role.

But a BBC spokeswoman said that no fourth series had even been commissioned yet and negotiations with the star would not begin until it had been given the green light.

"David is absolutely committed to the show and is currently filming the third series," said a BBC spokeswoman today.

"There is no fourth series currently commissioned yet so we could not confirm his involvement in that yet.

"David Tennant is committed to the series. When a further series is commissioned, we will be able to confirm his involvement."
Old 12-29-06, 10:19 PM

I'm glad to see that BBC is squashing this. I was worried...
Old 12-30-06, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't care for the Christmas special. It was weak and unimaginative. Why have killer Santas's again? Lazy! Also too much reliance on the sonic screwdriver

Time to get off of earth, meet new Aliens and discover the galaxy and get Russel to do less writing.
Old 12-30-06, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not a very definitive squash. In fact it makes me give the rumor even more weight. The show is the BBC's biggest hit and a fourth series is a virtual certainty. I had read earlier that Tennant's contract was for 3 full seasons, if that's true it would be very easy to for the BBC to definitely squash the rumor, if they wanted to.
Old 12-30-06, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, I am confused here...was this on BBC America? Sci Fi Channel? Or what?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.