Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Question about holiday returns

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-25-06, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received Season 5 of 24 for Christmas. It was purchased from Best Buy for $49.99 (per the price tag).

I don't have the receipt, but was thinking about returning it, as I have two copies. My questions are...will they still take a return without the receipt, and, given that they have it on sale for $19.99 this week, will I get the full $49.99?
Old 12-25-06, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Your original receipt is required for all returns, exchanges, price matches and warranty repair services. All returns and exchanges must be in original condition and include all accessories. All returns, exchanges and price adjustments must be made in the country of original purchase. Best Buy reserves the right to request identification and to deny any return."

But they might let you anyway, I wouldn't expect to get more back than $19.99.
Old 12-25-06, 10:15 PM

They will take it back but they will only give you the lowest selling price within the last 30 days. Which means you will only get $20.00 if it was on sale for 20. or 15 if it was ever 15.00 within the last 30 days. That's why alot of stores knock prices down the day after christmas so you will only get the sale price of the item. Not what you originally paid. BUT if you have the reciept, you'll get a full refund for what you originally paid.

Also Bestbuy limits one return PER YEAR without a reciept, only around holiday time. Which means if you returned an item last year on Dec. 28th...they will not let you return an item without a reciept on Dec 27th of this year. You'll need to wait till after the 28th.

They'll need your licence # in order to return the item without a reciept. That's how they track your return.

The first week in January, the returns without a reciept are over.
Old 12-25-06, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the help. If I'd only get $19.99, it's not worth it...not when I can just sell it online and get more. Thanks, though!

I've got another return to do at Walmart (Volume 3 of Family Guy), but I know for sure they do returns without receipts.
Old 12-25-06, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by DarthScooby
The first week in January, the returns without a reciept are over.
That's not true, unless they recently updated their policy. I believe you have until the last week in January. I returned some items at BestBuy without a receipt on 1/22/06. I wanted to avoid the lines after X-Mas to return stuff.
Old 12-25-06, 11:12 PM

Can anyone confirm the one time per year thing with best buy? I know it sounds weird, but some people last year were claiming that it was 3 times per person and thats it. So if you've done it 3 times before you cant ever do it again.
Old 12-25-06, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
Once a year sounds awfully strict...of course, even if true, that presumes you don't know anyone who wouldn't mind walking in a store for you. Three times forever sounds even more strict.
I've returned plenty of things to Walmart without a receipt, some things I bought or recieved from them and honestly lost the receipt. Sometimes they're more strict than others--last time she just scanned it and gave me cash back (a 5.50 dvd), didn't need to type in my DL or anything.
Gift receipts are nice, but yeah, returning items without receipt or gift receipts is harder now than it used to be.
Which I don't really understand--if I'm returning something and getting store credit, odds are I'm going to spend more than that much there, and they now have product to put on their shelves (I can see them not taking it if it's something they no longer carry). I know a lot of people get their hackles up at the idea of no receipt-returns, but I don't really see it as a problem, though it can certainly be abused.
Old 12-25-06, 11:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Obi-Jon Kenobi
Can anyone confirm the one time per year thing with best buy? I know it sounds weird, but some people last year were claiming that it was 3 times per person and thats it. So if you've done it 3 times before you cant ever do it again.
completely untrue.
how do i know this?
i work in the cs dept. of operations at best buy.

the holiday return policy, starting tuesday, december 26th, allows customers to return sealed, undamaged and re-sellable items for 30 days and 30 days ONLY. this will last until closing, on friday, january 26th. basic information will be required, and store credits will be issued.

in the case of the 24 boxset, you will recieve a store credit for 19.99. i personally and strongly recommend doing yourself a favor by A] holding the item for three weeks to get the full value of the set and B] avoiding the lines at the stores this week anyways.

if there are any other questions you or any other member have about this return policy, feel free to ask.
Old 12-25-06, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by im_ryandick

if there are any other questions you or any other member have about this return policy, feel free to ask.
Thanks so much for taking the time clarify a few things.

1. Is it 3 times a year or 3 times forever(I've heard both)?

2. Are returns tracked by calendar year or 365 days from the last return?

3. Is this policy for all BB stores or does it vary from store to store?
Old 12-26-06, 12:43 AM

it is on per year using your license at best buy. an employee publication last week stated that. good luck reurnin'
Old 12-26-06, 01:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Thanks so much for taking the time clarify a few things.

1. Is it 3 times a year or 3 times forever(I've heard both)?

2. Are returns tracked by calendar year or 365 days from the last return?

3. Is this policy for all BB stores or does it vary from store to store?
1. 3x per year..but nobody bothers to check / care.
2. returns are tracked per calendar year.
3. all stores. when not the holiday season, customer service reps. arent even supposed to talk to you. however, if it truly was purchased at best buy, they can use the employee toolkit to enter the credit card number that you purchased the iterm with, and print out a reciept.
Old 12-26-06, 01:26 AM

Just wondering, does anybody know the holiday return policy for Circuitcity? I remember something about "Must have receipt for all returns" sign hanging outside the store last year. I bought a Wii controller (went for a ps3 instead) for a friend and I can't seem to locate my receipt.
Old 12-26-06, 01:48 AM

All I know is here in NY they never let me do more than 1 return (can be multiple items) in 365 days. I've tried for the last 3 years.

If the bestbuy cs says it's not so, go with that. Hey try it...hopefully it works.

Also they won't let us return anything after early January. If this has changed, Woo Hoo! I'd rather wait then stand in return lines for hrs.

I just get others to do returns for me if I have a bunch of them.

Last edited by DarthScooby; 12-26-06 at 01:55 AM.
Old 12-26-06, 02:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DarthScooby
Also they won't let us return anything after early January. If this has changed, Woo Hoo! I'd rather wait then stand in return lines for hrs.
yes, it was discussed in our meeting saturday morning. due to massive traffic from this season, namely due to the biggest christmas of all time, the return policy would be extended to january 26th. good luck!
Old 12-26-06, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

customer service reps. arent even supposed to talk to you.
Does anyone else see something wrong with this?

however, if it truly was purchased at best buy, they can use the employee toolkit to enter the credit card number that you purchased the iterm with, and print out a reciept.
I just did this with Target, they credited back my purchase when I returned it, no receipt, on the CC which purchased it. Kinda nice, in that inevitably at least one receipt gets lots over Christmas season, but kinda scary, in that they have and can easily access the database at that level.
I think I knew Circuit City does that, but I didn't know BB does that--maybe they don't advertise it.
Old 12-26-06, 08:21 AM

In my experience Best Buy limits returns w/o a receipt to THREE per calendar year. Each return is tracked by driver's license number. Only store credit is given for the lowest sale price in the past 30 days. This is limited to the first two weeks or so following Christmas though this may vary by store.
Circuit City does not do returns w/o a receipt.
Target does not do returns w/o a receipt.
Wal-Mart allows up to THREE returns per calendar year and they are tracked by driver's license number. Only store credit is given. Items must be currently stocked by the store.
Old 12-26-06, 08:22 AM

Hey - Does anyone have any experience returning items w/o a receipt to FYE?
Old 12-26-06, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For Best Buy, if you return three items in one visit does that use up the three times that you can do returns without a receipt?
Old 12-26-06, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you don't have your receipt at Target, and you paid with plastic or check, they will do a receipt lookup for you and you can still return the item for refund.
The last time I did a straight-out, "no receipt" return at Target, I got store credit, usable only in the same department, for the lowest selling price in 30 days. That was six months ago, so they might have tightened up a bit.
Old 12-26-06, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts
On a similar but somewhat unrelated note, does anyone know if I can return a game bought at a Best Buy to a Best Buy at a different location if I still have the receipt?
Old 12-26-06, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joltman
On a similar but somewhat unrelated note, does anyone know if I can return a game bought at a Best Buy to a Best Buy at a different location if I still have the receipt?
You definitely can do that.
Old 12-26-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've never had a problem returning stuff with receipt purchased from one location to another, as long as I have my receipt and both stores carry the item. One exception might be AK/HI stores, if the item was purchased inland, or for 'franchise' type stores that sometimes don't do what corporate says [some Blockbusters for instance]. I know I've done this with Target, Best Buy, and EBGames; granted, they were only 10-30 miles apart for the most part, but I'm sure I've returned something purchased from a store in GA to a store in NC.
Old 12-26-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bahgee
For Best Buy, if you return three items in one visit does that use up the three times that you can do returns without a receipt?
They track by visit, not by how many items that you return. This would count as 1 of your 3 alloted returns.
Old 12-26-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
They track by visit, not by how many items that you return. This would count as 1 of your 3 alloted returns.
is that the same for walmart?
Old 12-26-06, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Krayzie
is that the same for walmart?
Wal-mart is 3 transactions. If they return everything in one receipt, then that counts as 1. However, if they ring up the things seperately, those each count as one. It depends on who is ringing you up.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.