Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS3 + Component = ???

Old 12-22-06, 08:50 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS3 + Component = ???

I'm just wondering what the deal is when using component cables with a PS3...

I'm trying to hook my PS3 up to my projector using the PS3 component cables and nothing is happening. My projector DOES NOT support HDCP. I thought I should be able to receive some sort of signal however just degraded?

Thanks!
Old 12-22-06, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Does your projector accept 720p? If not, then it could be a problem, though it's supposed to drop down to 480p.
Old 12-22-06, 09:09 PM
Mod Emeritus

It's not a native 720p PJ, it's a 520p native, but works fine with my 360 using component. I just tried it with a DVI -> HDMI cable and no-go there either. I'm guessing the PS3 is crapping itself over the lack of HDCP?
Old 12-22-06, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
I had problems hooking up component stuff to my 520p native projector too. It accepts all sorts of hi-def signals, but downsamples them to 520p. I had to go into the projector settings and tell it exactly what resolution I was feeding it. Then it started working fine.
Old 12-22-06, 09:18 PM
Mod Emeritus

So you guys are saying it SHOULD work? Even if it isn't HDCP compatible?
Old 12-22-06, 09:24 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I had problems hooking up component stuff to my 520p native projector too. It accepts all sorts of hi-def signals, but downsamples them to 520p. I had to go into the projector settings and tell it exactly what resolution I was feeding it. Then it started working fine.

My PJ doesn't have a lot of fancy options for outputting resolutions... It's the Panny 300U if that helps.. I played around with the menu just now but didn't see anything that would help. Oh well! I guess I need to wait until I get a 1080p PJ to enjoy BluRay in all its glory
Old 12-22-06, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HDCP is irrelevent when it comes to component cables. HDCP stands for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection, which would only come into play with digital connections.

Anyway, I think I recall if you press/hold the power button for a few seconds it will reset its output, which should give you a picture. Give that a shot.
Old 12-22-06, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i dunno if this is your problem but i had to first hook it up with composite, switch the output to 1080/component within the menus, then plug in the component wires.
Old 12-22-06, 10:46 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by flashburn
HDCP is irrelevent when it comes to component cables. HDCP stands for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection, which would only come into play with digital connections.

Anyway, I think I recall if you press/hold the power button for a few seconds it will reset its output, which should give you a picture. Give that a shot.

this worked, ths