Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Dune' (HD DVD)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'Dune' (HD DVD)

Old 12-22-06, 07:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Talk review of 'Dune'

I read Joshua Zyber's DVD review of Dune at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=25741 and...

Fantastic review. My favorite paragraph:

Not to sound too pompous about it, but I'd like to think that I can speak with some authority on this subject. I own a lot of copies of Dune. A lot. At current count, this disc brings my total up to 26 unique editions of the film across 9 video formats. Ever heard of VHD, an obscure and short-lived videodisc format released in Japan during the mid-1980s? No? Well, rest assured that I own a copy of Dune on it anyway. When it comes to this movie, I don't mess around.
Indeed you do not mess around sir! Dune is one of my guilty pleasures. I recognize it is a film with problems, but so many aspects of it excel that it's still a pleasure to watch. (It might not be my favorite film, but you are most certainly not alone in enjoying it.) If I had to pick the three things I love most about this film it would have to be the sound design, set design, and costumes. All three of these are executed on a level well beyond even that of star wars. Star Wars does have a superior score thanks to John Williams, but its sound design is downright simple when compared to the deep, multi-layered, enveloping soundfield of Dune.

Similarily, the sets of Star Wars, while imaginative, betray the film's limited budget and the costumes are downright hokey at times. Dune's sets are some of the best I've ever seen. The depth and attention to detail are exquisite. The costumes are likewise excellent. The stillsuits in particular were highly memorable.

I think one of the biggest issues fans of the book have with Lynch's Dune is the transformation of the weirding way into the weirding device. At first glance it seems like a mystical Jedi-like discipline has been transformed into mere technology. However, despite this change Lynch still managed to work in nuances about the development of Paul's character into something god-like. His followers find his name to be a killing word and he himself eventually finds he does not need the weirding module at all. The details are wrong, but somehow the meaning comes through.

This is one of the first titles that may yet force me to get off the fence and go buy a HD-DVD player.