Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Buy.com - half of my books of come in damaged!

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-21-06, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered about 15 or so books from buy.com in about 5 different shipments because of the GCO deal. About half or so arrived damaged! Amazon is so much better at shipping books. You would think that a company as big as buy.com would have some sort of shipment system to ensure items arrive well. I'm not going to be using buy.com again, unless there's another great deal like the GCO one.
Old 12-21-06, 06:04 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
It's not a great deal if you get the wrong items, or they come in damaged.
Old 12-21-06, 06:57 PM
Suspended

I have placed a ton orders from both buy.com and amazon over the years. Until November of this year Amazon had the worst shipping and packaging. I order mostly dvds and sometime half or more of the shipment were damaged. Lately though they have been much better and I hope it outlasts the hoilday season. Buy.com during this google checkout period also has been good with packaging. I have received probably 150 packages and only about 3 have had damage. One was a large box set placed in a box without proper cushioning and the other two were those foldable flat box (the kind for one box set without any padding..normally these are tight fitting and the items don't shift during shipment) and those got pretty dented up. Both have been better than deep discount dvd...their prices are great but their packing sucks.
Old 12-21-06, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kklems
I have received probably 150 packages and only about 3 have had damage.
Can you list what you ordered from them so we can get some ideas on using the GCO coupon?
Old 12-22-06, 07:11 PM
Suspended

Grrr..jinxd myself. Out of 5 buy.com orders today two were damaged but only one badly. My Stark Trek Season 3 has damage on the plastic symbol on the front and the case is seperated(I think if I open it the pieces snap together). Worse my huge fye order came today. I don't know who to be more mad at usps or fye.com. I had a note from usps saying they oh so sorry we damaged the box that was shipped to you but you know we process 360000 pieces of mail and these things happen. Blah....Of course fye had NO packing material inside the box and more than half (out of 40) are dinged and damaged. Yesterdays smaller fye shipment didn't have the bottom of the box closed all the way. The only thing holding it together was tape and you could see all the dvds inside. Also no packing material again. I think I need to be on the phone with fye for nice big return or refund.

As far as what I ordered....wow prices have flucuated a lot so it is hard to tell if the deals remain but I remember some of them

Garmin Forerunner 101 $59
Game boy Advance SP $59 shipped

DVDS
(before $20/50 just was $10/$30)
ER Season 5 $20.38
Growing pains S1 ($12.99)/Aqua Force Teen hunger4 ($10.99) both for $23 total(before $20/50 just was $10/$30)
Ultimate Mad About You Collection ($12.99) combined with The tick complete series ($8.99)
King of Queens 5, married with children 5 $12.99 each
Soap s3(8.99) with Party of five (12.99) (this was before the b1g1f offer started at ddd and dvdplanet)
The critic 17.99 combined with Romp umd ($3.70)
Mary Tyler Moore S1 ($11.99), s2 (11.99) again before the b1g1f sale
Other pre $20/50 titles inlcuded charmed, dinosaurs, lost in space s3,part 2, tour of duty various seasons, roswell (again before b1g1f), airwolf, 24's (before targets $16 sale), scrubs, roseanne,

Now with the $20/50 I am buying copies of Da Ali G S1/2, the office (version from over the pond not nbc), star trek (the originals) which are now less of a good deal with shipping being charged for S1. Star trek Deep space. All the star trek were $31.xx or $32.xx each depending on the season, curb your enthusiam s5. north and south, and so on. Hope that helps.

Edited to add out of 178 gco since Oct 1 all but 42 were to buy.com. The next amount was about 25 to dvdplanet and than they spread out starbucksstore, sierra trading (2), cd universe (5), jandr (2), Jockey (2) and toyrus (5). So I have gotten my share of buy.com packages. The strange thing is they never combine shipments so I get loads of packages with one or two dvds or one item. So I guess I should be thankful for the condition they come in. I have gotten almost all of them as well so shipping problems. The only GCO has been with toyrus which keeps cancelling or delaying orders and starbucks store which took foreveeeeeeer to ship.

Last edited by kklems; 12-22-06 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-24-06, 04:59 AM

Most of the paperbacks I've ordered from Buy.com have had damage, mostly due to crushing damage since they don't like to ship in crush resistant packaging. In the rare cases where they actually use a real box, they don't secure the items inside so they get shelf wear or folded covers.
Old 12-24-06, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I ordered one of those heavy Absolute Editions (couldn't resist for $22 delivered), and it showed up on my doorsteps with plenty of corner dings, so I requested a RMA and shipping label and they are sending me another copy at their expense. Of course, I'm not holding my breath on the condition, but it would be nice if they used a box this time around instead of their cardboard wraparound packaging.
Old 12-28-06, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,645 Likes on 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
Most of the paperbacks I've ordered from Buy.com have had damage, mostly due to crushing damage since they don't like to ship in crush resistant packaging. In the rare cases where they actually use a real box, they don't secure the items inside so they get shelf wear or folded covers.
That was my experience buying books from them 5-6-7 years ago.
Old 12-28-06, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 266 Likes on 204 Posts
I've stopped ordering from them now. They're A-holes. Wheni've ordered books from them in the past they put them in very thin carboard envelopes with no plastic packaging. When they get left at my door and it's raining the books are wothless.