Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

WII restock rumors / facts thread part 2, Electric Boogalooo

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

WII restock rumors / facts thread part 2, Electric Boogalooo

Old 12-25-06, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have yet to see a Wii, but everywhere I went this past week including yesterday I saw PS3s.
Old 12-25-06, 11:15 PM

Received 174 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
Every bit of anecdotal evidence I've seen or heard points to Sony being in a bit of trouble...at least in the US. I look forward to seeing what the actual numbers bear out, but right now, this looks like a launch failure of epic proportions.

I'd imagine I'll own a PS3 at some point...or maybe a 360 if it stays on its current roll, but I won't own either until the consoles are much cheaper and a good supply of Greatest Hits titles are available.

Meanwhile, I'll be having fun on my Wii.

Am I safe in assuming that you are only referring to their video game division? NPD numbers show Sony growing too big in the US market, almost beyond the point of control in the CE arena, though my guess is that they, like most, aren't making much money. Luckily we don't have to deal with CE companies ever. They all suck.

As for the PS3 and anecdotal evidence, there have been none to be found in my entire area, and people are amazed when I tell them I somewhat easily and luckily got one for Christmas.

Of course, we also got the WII and own a 360, so I realise we probably aren't the norm. However, the PS3 online is what has gotten the most attention today.
Old 12-25-06, 11:47 PM

so is there a GOOD website or any INFO on when stores will be getting shipments of wiis in????!
Old 12-26-06, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It seems as though the ps3seeker or ps3seeker.com/wii google map thing is a pretty good source. It says that both the Wii and PS3 will be available at various places on the 31st. Speaking of, it seems as though the PS3's are being replenished with more numbers than the Wii. The easy answer is that the Wiis sell much faster than the Ps3s, but still. Wasn't Wii supposed to ship, like, 4 or 5 times as many units?
Old 12-26-06, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
The Wii was to ship 4 million units worldwide. Half of these were for the US. The last time I checked about two or so weeks ago they had shipped 2/3 of the promised amount. I gather by now most if not all the promised units have shipped.
Old 12-26-06, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kurupt
It seems as though the ps3seeker or ps3seeker.com/wii google map thing is a pretty good source. It says that both the Wii and PS3 will be available at various places on the 31st. Speaking of, it seems as though the PS3's are being replenished with more numbers than the Wii. The easy answer is that the Wiis sell much faster than the Ps3s, but still. Wasn't Wii supposed to ship, like, 4 or 5 times as many units?
They are. It's just that nobody wants the PS3s, but everyone wants a Wii.
Old 12-26-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I haven't seen a PS3 or Wii "live" except in the demo kiosks.
I'll admit I haven't been trying to hunt one down, just when I got to BB or Target or CC I'll go by the video games. Although last Sat night, I think, when I went to Target at about 1900, there were people lined up already outside the store with tents and sleeping bags etc.

Anyone here pay more than MSRP for a PS3 or Wii? The way I look at it, it's a consumer electronic, both Sony and Nintendo benefit by having more consoles out, so eventually I'll be able to get one for retail price, and I'm not going to buy into the overinflated pricing/secondary market [the lowest Wii on Amazon is something like 700 bucks.]. And the worst part is, like someone said earlier, if these early buyers can't make their 300% profit, odds are they'll just return it to the store and get their entire "investment" back.
Old 12-26-06, 01:44 PM

My wife scored a PS3 60gb today at Wally World, it was they last one they had. I think she actually wanted it more than I did. It did have Talladega Nights included which I was surprised to see (thought it was only included on initial release wave).
Picked up the Bluetooth remote vor BluRay playback and Resistance. Kids are watching Ice Age so I have to wait to play. bummer.

The initial setup is somewhat of a pain but it wasn't too bad. If i would have thought about it I would have set up the wireless keyboard for setup and network sign up.
Old 12-26-06, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by corbin dallas
It did have Talladega Nights included which I was surprised to see (thought it was only included on initial release wave).
It could have been a return from an eBay hopeful.

When I picked up the Donkey Konga deal at Gamestop this morning they put out 4 new PS3s. All 4 were still there 4 hours later though the store was slammed with people.
Old 12-26-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was browsing Target's electronics department this morning at 11AM with my daughter when I overheard an employee state that they had 20 Wii consoles that would be available for sale in a few minutes. While I wasn't planning to purchase one at this time, I did the impulse buy anyways. Hopefully the wife will approve (the 10 yr old already did), as I had been leaning towards getting a gamecube for the kid.

Also, the same Target employee in their electronics department claimed that their store held back Wii consoles for sale until the day after Christmas (that had been in stock in the back for some time) in order to help ensure software/accessory sales. If true, you may want to stop by Target just to see if they have any available. All I know is that $249 retail beats spending $400-500 on Fleabay.
Old 12-26-06, 08:01 PM

I dont know why I even look because I can't afford one (and I already have a PS3 which is plenty), but Wii bundles are back right now for preorder at gamestop for those interested!!
Old 12-26-06, 10:32 PM

yah, gamespot told me they got a bunch in today, but they sold out quick...

anyone know how early i will have to start waiting on the 31st to get a wii???

i plan on going as early as i can...

i live in suburban MN!
Old 12-27-06, 09:32 AM

Talladega Nights is included in the FIRST 500,000 Playstation 3 systems sold in the USA. They still haven't gotten all those made and sold. Talladega Nights is still in EVERY Playstation 3 I have seen.
Old 12-27-06, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=12217

December 26, 2006

Analyst: Console Shortages To Stretch Well Into 2007

According to a new analyst report, shortages of the Wii and particularly the PlayStation 3 could continue far into 2007 in North America, as the companies struggle to fulfil continuing major demand for the next-gen consoles.

A new Reuters report on the relative unavailability of the consoles cites American Technology Research analyst PJ McNealy suggesting that the PlayStation 3 will likely remain scarce through the June 2007 quarter in the U.S. "They have to launch in Europe, and they're stretched," commented McNealy.

McNealy also noted that Sony's target of 1 million by the end of 2006 might only translate to 600,000 to 800,000 units at retail by the end of December, since some may have shipped but would still not have arrived in stores. He did not address whether Sony has missed the milestone or not.

According to the piece, Wii shortages are less extreme, with more reaching stores on a regular basis, though they quickly sell out when they do. McNealy suggested that Wii shortages could ease in the March 2007 quarter in North America.

The most recent update on Nintendo sales in the U.S. indicated that over 600,000 units were sold in the first eight days in the Americas, but retracted a statement that "well over 1 million" Wiis would be available by the end of the year, casting uncertainty over an exact target figure.

POSTED: 06.29AM PST, 12/26/06 - Simon Carless

Hopefully, they are right about the Wii.

Chris
Old 12-27-06, 06:40 PM
Cool New Member

my bestbuy had a surprised shipment of Wii's today. they received about 30 units. they were down to half in less than 10 mins. i was able to pick one up but unable to open it until i get the ok from the gf (shes paying for it )
Old 12-27-06, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by rojkai
my bestbuy had a surprised shipment of Wii's today. they received about 30 units. they were down to half in less than 10 mins. i was able to pick one up but unable to open it until i get the ok from the gf (shes paying for it )
It wasn't a suprise shipment, I posted that BB would be getting Wii's on the 27th last friday. My friend pulled up the screen for me at best buy and showed me what every best buy was getting for units and the expected date was the 27th. So if your best buy didn't get them today or the day before then expect them tomorrow.

Heres my post from friday
Originally Posted by Jake77444
I went to BB this morning because of wiiseeker info. I have a buddy that works there so he logged into the computer and checked out the status of the next shipments of Wii's. The Wii's showed up in the computer that most stores were either getting 27 or 14(for those of you in AZ....Superstition and Fiesta are both getting 27 but I didnt look at chandler or any others but most others said 14). The expected arrival date for the shipment was the Dec 27th, he also told me while I was there that they were expecting ps3s on the 29th. So most likely no more for XMAS, but he did say that they could get in early and they'd sell them once they were delivered since they're not in the ad this week.

Last edited by Jake77444; 12-27-06 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-27-06, 07:51 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jake77444
It wasn't a suprise shipment, I posted that BB would be getting Wii's on the 27th last friday. My friend pulled up the screen for me at best buy and showed me what every best buy was getting for units and the expected date was the 27th. So if your best buy didn't get them today or the day before then expect them tomorrow.

Heres my post from friday
Jake. I am still looking for a Wii, and I work less than a block from the Fiesta store so I was right there, however I had no idea that they had Wii's available. Do you have any idea on when they will receive their next shipment?

Thanks,
Old 12-27-06, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Target got some today.
Old 12-27-06, 10:28 PM

Just letting any Tampa, FL or surrounding that I snagged a 60gb PS3 today at the Super Walmart on Hillsborough Ave. right past Oldsmar Flea Market. They had 2 or 3 sitting in the glass case. The Elec. guy said they had been there for a couple days.
Old 12-27-06, 10:37 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
Originally Posted by Demontooth
Target got some today.
Target got some what (PS3 or Wii) and where/location?
Old 12-27-06, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow
Still - 2 months after the launch and on the 2nd such thread you still need to ask.
Old 12-28-06, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Cow
Sorry, Wii at Target on Dixie Highway in Louisville, KY, they had 2 in the case while my friend was standing there. Wii at Target in Columbus, OH in Easton, they sold out in minutes. We traveled from Louisville to Columbus yesterday and I saw PS3's at several stores we stopped at, one Gamestop had 2 and they would announce to everyone he came in that they had 2 and people were ignoring him. I didn't think finding a PS3 was still an issue.

My wife wants a DS Lite and they are out of stock everywhere.
Old 12-28-06, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I saw PS3s available at 4 different stores yesterday. I'd say if you are still having issues finding one just wait a week or two as they'll keep shipping them and people aren't gobbling them up any more.
Old 12-28-06, 10:16 AM
Retired

My Target (Wheaton, MD) had 18 Wii's in yesterday. Overheard and employee telling a customer they had them and sold them in about an hour.
Old 12-28-06, 12:20 PM

I keep striking out everywhere. The best buy in Fairfield, CA had some yesterday. I called to see if they had any and the VERY rude girl said "oh we got some in..." As i was saying "could you check to see if you still have them..." She interruped me and said "we probably don't have any more" then she hung up. I tried calling the store back and they didn't pick up in the media dept. This was around 1 o'clock so i drove over there from Vacaville (about 15-20 minutes) and they were out. I complained to the manager. I understand these are going fast and I understand it must be annoying to the employees to have to answer 800 questions a day about the Wii and PS3, but there's no need to be rude about it.

I just wish these stores were a little more consistent in how they handled the release of these systems. They don't seem to be making a ton of money from them, so why not do more marketing? like with the sunday ads so they can get more foot traffic; since that seems like that's where they make the real money with accessories and games. I don't know...i just really want one.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.